Question from a New Autocrosser

Parking lots and traffic cones.
dmyer
Car: 2007 Mini Cooper S
CDC Member#: 770

Question from a New Autocrosser

Post by dmyer »

Hello,

Last year was my first year autocrossing and it was just about the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on! I attended five events last year (1 CDC) and I can see where I really wore a lot of miles off my then brand new every day all season tires - thus - I want to get a second set of wheels and performance summer tires for my Mini. My question - should I just forget the TPMS on the autocross set or would that be handy to have if I ever do a trackday?

Also - Where in the Rockville/Potomac area is a good place to get an Autocross alignment done or is that even worthwhile for a less experienced driver?

Can't wait for the first autocross!! :)

Dan
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Re: Question from a New Autocrosser

Post by david.valeri »

The TPMS is just money and weight on a set of rims and tires dedicated to track/auto-x. I would even skip them if you chose to run the second rims all summer. With non-run flat tires, it is not like you won't notice the flat, but then again, I think safety standards circa 1994 are safe enough. Checking pressures with a gauge works fine for everyone else at the track.

AndrewTech in Gaithersburg can take care of your alignment. You should get it if you want to get the most out of your new tires, but it is not required. Is camber adjustable on a Mini without aftermarket parts? If not, you may want to get some camber/caster plates before paying for an alignment, otherwise you will pay twice. More camber/caster will help your tires last longer at Auto-X and the track with minimal impact on longevity and street manners, especially for a McStrut suspension like the Mini.

This Mini specific article, http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/tilt/, will give you some ideas. Keep in mind that the car used has stiffer springs and sways than your stock suspension (assuming you still have that) so your dynamic camber change will be higher, in the undesirable direction, as you will experience more body roll. What does that mean? The principles from the article apply, but their numbers mean nothing on your car.
dmyer

Post by dmyer »

Thanks! I believe the Mini does not have adjustable camber other than the stock slop adjustment. I intend to also run this in D stock at Autocrossers Inc so I cannot do coil overs or camber plates - but the alignment, what can be done, will help I hear.
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

What Dave said, ditch the tpms on track only rims and tires, no need.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

david.valeri wrote:More camber/caster will help your tires last longer at Auto-X and the track with minimal impact on longevity and street manners, especially for a McStrut suspension like the Mini.
You underestimate how much camber a McStrut car needs ;) I'm running -3.5* on the corolla... braking is affected pretty bad, it's down right scary to drive in the rain... I might dial out a bit of camber out, I need to see where it is after I swap out my crash bolts for camber plates.

I would definitely invest in a good alignment, but it won't have as big of an affect when only toe is adjustable... If you plan on replacing the dampers (struts) I would do that first and get an alignment afterwards.

Most important is which tires you choose.
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/top-tires/
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
dmyer

Post by dmyer »

eage8 wrote:Most important is which tires you choose.
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/top-tires/
I have already been reading - I intend to run 16" wheels mated to Hankook RS3's.

Dan
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

I don't have the TPMS sensors put in on my autocross wheels/tires.
aronparsons
Car: 2006 Lotus Elise
CDC Member#: 336

Post by aronparsons »

I don't run TPMS sensors on my Mini's winter wheels. There should be no issues not running them in your autocross/track wheels, especially since the Mini doesn't even display the pressures for each tire.

As for shops, I've heard very good things about Mach V (http://www.fastmini.net/). I've only had tires mounted there, but the facility and people are really nice. They might be able to provide more insight into prepping a Mini for autocross than other shops in the area.
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

You can pick up sets of x-lites on ebay and craigslist for crazy cheap if you want to run an OEM sized tire. They are reasonably light, dirt cheap, and did i mention they are dirt cheap?

TPMS - fagggedaboudit

I used to have a blast auto-xing my 2005 :) Maybe i'll even get the wife to let me bring the 2010 out this year muahahah.
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
dmyer

Post by dmyer »

I want to run D Stock also so I need to stay stock sizes wheels. Thanks everyone - just picked up a set of OEM almost new X-lites for $300 of ebay... tried to talk him down more but he wouldn't bite! Now off to the Tire Rack to get a set of Hankook RS3!

Dan
03threefiftyz

Post by 03threefiftyz »

If you plan to run D-stock the wheels need to be +/- 5mm in offset as well.
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

In terms of shops in the MD area, I would go to AndrewTech. They know what they are going and are honest. I even brought my VW and Miata to them all the way from Mt Vernon, VA.

Plus they are a sponsor of CDC, which has helped a lot the last couple of years in addition to providing us a $10 autocross with free food.

If you go there, make sure you mention CDC to them.
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

dmyer wrote:I want to run D Stock also so I need to stay stock sizes wheels. Thanks everyone - just picked up a set of OEM almost new X-lites for $300 of ebay... tried to talk him down more but he wouldn't bite! Now off to the Tire Rack to get a set of Hankook RS3!

Dan

^ Thats a really good price. I believe the MINI challenge (or whatever it was called) used to run the x-lites on their racers a while back. I can't find information on the series anymore. Looks like the UK challenge is running the newer style wheels in a 17". They are durable, and light weight. You won't be dissapointed.

If you are looking for a set of 17" s-lites i have a set in my shed. I bought them for the wife, but i don't want to put in the effort to resore them. They are curbed completely around the outside of every wheel. I paid $50, would sell for the if anyone wants em :)

-Scott
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
dmyer

Post by dmyer »

Thanks for the offer - just got the X-lites friday - they look like they were driven from the dealer lot to the tire/wheel store - never even been dirty. The Hankook RS3's should be here monday. I went to the BMW autocross school in Bowie Saturday and I cannot tell you how pumped I am thinking about the first autocross in a couple weeks - hopefully I can remember what I learned and worked on! :D

Dan
03threefiftyz

Post by 03threefiftyz »

Which Mini were you in? I had the Black Z on Hoosiers.....
dmyer

Post by dmyer »

This will help a lot... the Red one!! :D

I had the Red 2007 with black top and black/white hood stripes on all season tires... I think I actually learned something because I stopped trying to fight my way through, go fast through the slow sections and concentrated on being smooth and clean through them and coming out in position to apply power where it can do some good! Took two plus seconds off both my last two runs through the full course.

Dan