Tech Inspection Question

Parking lots and traffic cones.
Kinickie
Car: 2013 Toyobaru
CDC Member#: 569

Tech Inspection Question

Post by Kinickie »

I'm registered for the Test & Tune this Sunday (3/20). Last weekend I installed Hawk HP+ brake pads and they're squealing like crazy during low-speed braking right now. Everything's installed properly and pedal feel and braking is good, but I'm wondering: Is the squeal going to raise any red flags when I go through tech inspection?

I'd hate to drive all the way there only to fail tech inspection... :?
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Re: Tech Inspection Question

Post by FredK »

no, you will be fine.
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

People show up on track pads that are far louder than the HP+'s all the time...as Fred said....you'll be fine.
ferris

Post by ferris »

You will be fine ...

But did you try to properly bed the pads. That will help with stopping and usually noise.
Kinickie

Post by Kinickie »

I did a bed in as recommended by Hawk, but I still have some squealing when the pads get warm (about 1/2 way through my commute). It's slowly improving, but SO embarrassing in traffic.
ACoopeR
Car: 2005 Mini Cooper S R53
CDC Member#: 632

Post by ACoopeR »

I am proud of squeaky breaks :lol: It means my car goes to enough events and fast enough to need fancy pads.

If it really bugs you and doesn't go away, you can try adding anti-squeal to the face between the piston and the backing plate and the caliper mount and caliper itself. I have pictures somewhere on my HD if that isn't clear...
Mods: I have some. They make me :-) I am now broke :-(
aronparsons
Car: 2006 Lotus Elise
CDC Member#: 336

Post by aronparsons »

Kinickie wrote:I did a bed in as recommended by Hawk, but I still have some squealing when the pads get warm (about 1/2 way through my commute). It's slowly improving, but SO embarrassing in traffic.
The HP+ pads won't stop squealing, they're known for it. Also, the brakes on the JCW, at least 2009+, have a reputation to be noisy with anything other than the stock pads.
Kinickie

Post by Kinickie »

ACoopeR wrote:I am proud of squeaky breaks :lol: It means my car goes to enough events and fast enough to need fancy pads.

If it really bugs you and doesn't go away, you can try adding anti-squeal to the face between the piston and the backing plate and the caliper mount and caliper itself. I have pictures somewhere on my HD if that isn't clear...
When I did the install I coated the backs of the pads as well as the "ears" with the Gearhead Grease that was included with the pads, so I really think the noise is just related to the type of pad and not other NVH issues. I knew they would be noisy since they're more aggressive than street pads, but I guess I just wasn't expecting this much noise. :)
aronparsons wrote:Also, the brakes on the JCW, at least 2009+, have a reputation to be noisy with anything other than the stock pads.
I think all of the JCW brake kits are known for being noisy, but the newer ones do seem to be louder than the ones used on the R53.

I really appreciate everyone's quick responses. You've been very helpful, and hopefully I'll see a few of you on Sunday!

(I'll be the one in the squeaky MINI ;))
aronparsons
Car: 2006 Lotus Elise
CDC Member#: 336

Post by aronparsons »

Kinickie wrote:
aronparsons wrote:Also, the brakes on the JCW, at least 2009+, have a reputation to be noisy with anything other than the stock pads.
I think all of the JCW brake kits are known for being noisy, but the newer ones do seem to be louder than the ones used on the R53.

I really appreciate everyone's quick responses. You've been very helpful, and hopefully I'll see a few of you on Sunday!

(I'll be the one in the squeaky MINI ;))
I don't know about the R53s being noisy, but I know my 09 JCW makes quite a bit of brake noise. Cleaning the dust out helps for a little while, but it's back rather quickly.

I'll be the one in the squeaky Lotus this weekend; I run HP+ pads on my car ;-)
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

Just ordered a set of HP+ for the rear of our second Miata. Not looking forward to the squealing!
BIG MINI
Car: 2007 MINI Cooper S JCW
CDC Member#: 787

Post by BIG MINI »

I have an 07 with the big jcw brakes and they only make noise for me when I'm going in reverse. They do put out a lot of dust though.
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

I have HP+'s on the Miata and Cobra and have no brake noise.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Would you even be able to hear it if they were in the cobra?! :lol:
FredK wrote:I have HP+'s on the Miata and Cobra and have no brake noise.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
ButtDyno
Car: 2006 Evo MR | 1999 ///M3
CDC Member#: 199

Post by ButtDyno »

There's an Exige that runs with WDCR that must run some serious track pads. You can usually see the car throwing sparks when it brakes. You have nothing to worry about :)
Autocross. Serious business.
project:BDR
Unofficial CDC PAX Results page
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

Good luck with those pads. They seemed to be pretty good for autocross, but i was never able to make the squeeling go away. Mine got so bad and annoying i took them off and sold them. I have read if you sand down the edges into an angle it helps.
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.