FRUSTRATED

Parking lots and traffic cones.
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

FRUSTRATED

Post by Dan133 »

On my way home from work Fri night at 8:15 I was minding my own business at a red light on Shady Grove Rd in Gaithersburg when I heard SCREECH and saw headlights in my rearview mirror and was rear ended HARD. The girl who hit me seemed to be in pretty bad shape-- the EMT's took her to the hospital on a backboard-- no feeling in her hands and feet? Hope she's OK. The Bleu Miata appeared to have suffered only superficial damage until I started to drive away. Now I get a rubbing sound during deceleration and an intermittent rubbing sound at steady speed. No new noises under acceleration. Also-- either the trans shifted back or the console moved forward (The shifter has moved back). Anyway, bottom line is I don't feel the car is safe to AutoX at this point and am hoping to find someone willing to let me co-drive. If any body is willing I'll be the needy looking bald guy in the AM.

thanks

Dan
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
JoeTR6
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 44

Re: FRUSTRATED

Post by JoeTR6 »

Be careful if you wake up with a stiff neck in the morning. Heck, just be careful. Sometimes it takes a while for the effects of an accident to show themselves.

As for the car, the engine or diff mounts may have let go. If you were hit hard enough to bend the body much, the doors wouldn't close very well. I hope you and the Miata recover quickly.
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

I"m sure we can find a ride for you. Assuming my Sprite holds up, you are welcome to drive it.

Ed
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

Jeez Dan, don't be so shy! I'd have been happy to let you drive the Miata today, I had no idea your car wasn't with you. We've been to Buddist weddings together for cripes sake.

Sorry about the car too.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Dan, I'll be at the TnT tomorrow & you are welcome to come by & drive my car.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
Dan133

Post by Dan133 »

Thanks to John and Fred, both, for your generous offers of really good cars to drive--I would especially like to get my hands on Fred's Miata. Earl offered me to co-drive his car on brand new Kumho XS's and it was GOOD. Thank you Earl for the opportunity to drive your very nicely prepared Miata. I am sure that the car offered a lot of performance that I am just not a good enough driver to take advantage of. My apologies for the puffs of tire smoke I am sure I produced. Those racing pads really DO bite! The Bleu Miata goes for the estimate tomorrow and we'll find out the verdict of the insurance company. Wish me luck.

thanks

Dan
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

Dan133 wrote:Thanks to John and Fred, both, for your generous offers of really good cars to drive--I would especially like to get my hands on Fred's Miata. Earl offered me to co-drive his car on brand new Kumho XS's and it was GOOD. Thank you Earl for the opportunity to drive your very nicely prepared Miata. I am sure that the car offered a lot of performance that I am just not a good enough driver to take advantage of. My apologies for the puffs of tire smoke I am sure I produced. Those racing pads really DO bite! The Bleu Miata goes for the estimate tomorrow and we'll find out the verdict of the insurance company. Wish me luck.

thanks

Dan
Glad to hear you are OK. Since the car's resale value just took a big hit, I recommend a full on CSP build to help with the healing process.
earl998
Car: 92 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 998

Post by earl998 »

Your welcome Dan. Good Luck with your car. Mine will be available for you if you need it. :D
mp923

Post by mp923 »

Geez, sorry to hear about this. Glad you're ok!
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

Dan133 wrote:Thanks to John and Fred, both, for your generous offers of really good cars to drive--I would especially like to get my hands on Fred's Miata. Earl offered me to co-drive his car on brand new Kumho XS's and it was GOOD. Thank you Earl for the opportunity to drive your very nicely prepared Miata. I am sure that the car offered a lot of performance that I am just not a good enough driver to take advantage of. My apologies for the puffs of tire smoke I am sure I produced. Those racing pads really DO bite! The Bleu Miata goes for the estimate tomorrow and we'll find out the verdict of the insurance company. Wish me luck.

thanks

Dan
How'd the estimate go?
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

Hope everything with the estimate went well. Or should I start gathering tools for a quick swap back to stock?

Don't pay any attention to Fred. He always offers after the fact. ;)
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

hey frank, wanna drive my cobra last weekend?
hepcatz

Post by hepcatz »

Lol!
FredK wrote:hey frank, wanna drive my cobra last weekend?
Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)
Dan133

Post by Dan133 »

The estimate was a not funny joke. The estimator looked at the fairly minor body damage and wrote an estimate for that. He then told my wife(who CAN drive a stick that the vibration she was feeling was probably because she does not drive a manual very often and then said that the noises I wrote a note about was probably because I turned off the radio after the accident and started hearing all of the normal noises of the car for the first time. She left the shop to go home and got approx 1/2 mile when the trans or diff locked up and the car had to be towed. Needless to say we will not be using that shop for any work. I finally got the insurance company to take liability for the accident today and my body shop (coincidentally named Dan's Autobody) will be delving into the mechanical issues before they start on the bodywork. I don't expect to have anything concrete before the middle of next week at best. I wasn't there when the car locked up and my wife is unclear on whether the horrendous noises were happening when the car was moving or still or the clutch was in or out so I guess we just wait and see what the pros say. Thanks again for everyones concern and here's hoping the Bleu Miata rides again--SOON.

Dan
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

I read somewhere that rear-ended Miatas are often discovered to have broken rear end carriers/differential mounts/something like that.
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

FredK wrote:hey frank, wanna drive my cobra last weekend?
next purchase a delorean with a flux capacitor. i'm going to make you eat your words.
Dan133

Post by Dan133 »

The Bleu Miata is whole again! I hope... Still some minor questions but it seems to drive alright. Broken diff carrier was the verdict as well as a possible damaged axle due to rubbing when the diff dropped. Body looks great and the car drives fine as well. Of course I am now hearing sounds that I don't recognize that are interfering with my enjoyment of the radio... Bowie on the 23rd will tell the tale.
hepcatz

Post by hepcatz »

Dan, this is great news & am looking forward toseeing you there. We all MUST go for grub n brew afterwards.
Dan133 wrote:The Bleu Miata is whole again! I hope... Still some minor questions but it seems to drive alright. Broken diff carrier was the verdict as well as a possible damaged axle due to rubbing when the diff dropped. Body looks great and the car drives fine as well. Of course I am now hearing sounds that I don't recognize that are interfering with my enjoyment of the radio... Bowie on the 23rd will tell the tale.
Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)
Dan133

Post by Dan133 »

Here's hoping the weather holds up, and grub and brew for sure!