Website Improvements

Parking lots and traffic cones.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Website Improvements

Post by BugBomb »

Some of you may have noticed, we have a few changes to make our website more enjoyable for everyone. We have a persistent menu now so you can access any part of the site at any time, including from the forum. The results page now incorporates the Google Docs results file. You can still view the results in a spreadsheet format and copy the data to excel for your own use, or you can sort the initial list view by any column.

The Schedule has received some updates as well. All the event locations are now hyperlinks that take you to our Google Map where you can view more detailed info about the venues, including where to park, where the course is located, and what areas may be restricted for our use. The event rosters now have totals so you can see how many people are registered (also broken down per heat).

If anyone is having trouble viewing the results page, please let us know. No one should be getting a request to sign-in to GDocs, but some folks are still seeing that for some reason. We're working to get it right for everyone.

Special thanks to Jason Hubbard. He has been working hard to implement these changes.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Re: Website Improvements

Post by eage8 »

It may seem like something small, but I love the new navigation back to the normal website in the forum. I found that annoying :)

The google map stuff is neat too. Thanks guys!
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

I totally agree, thanks Jason, Mike & everyone else who worked on the upgrades! The menu change is much more user friendly.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

eage8 wrote:It may seem like something small, but I love the new navigation back to the normal website in the forum. I found that annoying :)
Agreed! Thanks guys.
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

The front page looks nice now with all the individual buttons.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Thanks Jason. I found it a lot easier to jump to each section with the buttons on the top right!
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

Site looks good, I like it!

Any possibility of posting results for test & tune events? I assume with the new barcode system it shouldn't be that difficult right? I realize it's a test & tune but it's still nice to see everyone's times and how we stacked up at the end of the day. After all if you truly did use this a test & tune, it'd help to see where you placed against others and if you're testing & tuning worked..
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:Site looks good, I like it!

Any possibility of posting results for test & tune events? I assume with the new barcode system it shouldn't be that difficult right? I realize it's a test & tune but it's still nice to see everyone's times and how we stacked up at the end of the day. After all if you truly did use this a test & tune, it'd help to see where you placed against others and if you're testing & tuning worked..
The TNTs don't normall use barcodes. we just used the barcodes to let people see thier times relative to other participants. Posting results usually take added effort for both the head organizer and the webmaster. So to reduce their effort (in addition, TNT are normally done the day after an autox) we don't post TNT results. I suppose we could have posted the results to last week's TNT but I think that data may not easily available (without going to a different trailer to download the flash drives).

I can see that in the future we may post the Sponsors TNT but I know we won't post the other TNTs. The organizers are already busy working the results for Saturday the day before. In addition, I heard Mike mention "At least with all the heat and running late, I don't have to download results!" In the future the sponsor results may just be downloaded and posted on a forum thread without it looking pretty or anything - just the results. Maybe if someone brings a jump drive, we can copy the results to anyone willing to post them.
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

I'm glad everyone is liking the updates.

I also want to thank the organizers and participants who have helped by offering suggestions, feedback and criticism :) . I may know how to code a little, but you all help me focus on what makes sense.

If you see something not working right, or have an idea, go ahead and let me know here on the forums or at the events.

If there is an update that your not seeing, it could be that the web page is cached by your browser (IE and FF have caching enabled by default). To force your cache to update hold down CTRL (control key) and press F5 (Function 5 key) on your keyboard. For most browsers this tells them to update their cache with the newest files from the site.

The Main page, Results page, and News pages have been updated.
Coming soon will be the updates to the rest of the pages. There is also a plan to include the Scheduling pages into the site format as well (no more pop-up window).
-- Jason
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:Any possibility of posting results for test & tune events?
Did Fred make you post that?
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
Bigbacon
Car: 2006 RX8 GT/87 Toyota MR2
CDC Member#: 611

Post by Bigbacon »

Old menu looked so much better than the new one. The new one is just.....how do you say, cheesy looking.
Beepbeep
Car: 2013, Mustang GT
CDC Member#: 391

Post by Beepbeep »

Sweet. Thank you for the update.
e3opian

Post by e3opian »

Looks good!
Imprezive_04
Car: 99 FRC\EvoX
CDC Member#: 317

Post by Imprezive_04 »

When I look at the results page at work (IE) or home (Chrome) I can not see the name column. I'm scrolled all the way left, but can only see the last few letters in that column.
Ryan P
wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

Imprezive_04 wrote:When I look at the results page at work (IE) or home (Chrome) I can not see the name column. I'm scrolled all the way left, but can only see the last few letters in that column.
What Screen resolution are you using? 1024 x 768?

I made some adjustments. Try it now. You may need to do a cache refresh (CTRL+F5)
-- Jason
Imprezive_04
Car: 99 FRC\EvoX
CDC Member#: 317

Post by Imprezive_04 »

My resolution was 1280x800, but what ever you changed fixed it. Looks good now :)
Ryan P
ButtDyno
Car: 2006 Evo MR | 1999 ///M3
CDC Member#: 199

Post by ButtDyno »

One issue with the navigation: because they're buttons instead of links, you can't right click them to copy shortcut, or control click them to open them in a new tab, etc.

It looks like the only reason they're buttons is this:

Code: Select all

function clicked(click_id){
    if(click_id=='cdc_news')window.location.href='/blog/';
    if(click_id=='cdc_schedule')window.location.href='/rsvp/autox_events.php';
    if(click_id=='cdc_results')window.location.href='results.html';
    if(click_id=='cdc_media')window.location.href='media.html';
    if(click_id=='cdc_forum')window.location.href='/forum/';
    if(click_id=='cdc_faq')window.location.href='faq.html';
    if(click_id=='cdc_about')window.location.href='about.html';
    if(click_id=='cdc_contact')window.location.href='mailto:ed.chan@capitaldrivingclub.com';
}
Wouldn't regular anchors work just as well?
Autocross. Serious business.
project:BDR
Unofficial CDC PAX Results page
wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

ButtDyno wrote:One issue with the navigation: because they're buttons instead of links, you can't right click them to copy shortcut, or control click them to open them in a new tab, etc.

It looks like the only reason they're buttons is this:

Code: Select all

function clicked(click_id){
    if(click_id=='cdc_news')window.location.href='/blog/';
    if(click_id=='cdc_schedule')window.location.href='/rsvp/autox_events.php';
    if(click_id=='cdc_results')window.location.href='results.html';
    if(click_id=='cdc_media')window.location.href='media.html';
    if(click_id=='cdc_forum')window.location.href='/forum/';
    if(click_id=='cdc_faq')window.location.href='faq.html';
    if(click_id=='cdc_about')window.location.href='about.html';
    if(click_id=='cdc_contact')window.location.href='mailto:ed.chan@capitaldrivingclub.com';
}
Wouldn't regular anchors work just as well?
Yes, anchors could be used.
I will get them fixed where you can save shortcuts. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
-- Jason