Thoughts about Winchester lot- What's your opinion?

Parking lots and traffic cones.

Would you be more likely to attend the autox at Winchester if...

Poll ended at Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:20 pm

1. We hold the events at James Woods as a TNT where the cost is $35 for members and $45 for non-members with more runs.
10%
2. We offer a $10 discount for a second slot.
90%

Total votes: 10

echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Thoughts about Winchester lot- What's your opinion?

Post by echan »

As many of you know, the attendance isn't very great at Winchester. The organizers have been thinking about various ways to increase participation there.

Here's a couple of thoughts:

1. Hold the events at James Woods, like a TNT where the cost is $35 for members and $45 for non-members. This would limit the field but would give each participant more runs.

2. Offer a $10 discount for a second slot. The second slot can be used by the same participant (e.g. the driver would run in two heats) or the second slot can be used for a second person ($20 member or $30 non-member). If the participant elects to drive in 2 heats in one car, the first 6 runs would count for points. There's a thread explaining drivers runing mulitple cars and slots.

Let us know if you like either of these ideas.

Ed
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Re: Thoughts about Winchester lot- What's your opinion?

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

I've never been but the reason is because of distance. It's an hour and a half from me.. I'm signed up for the next event there only because I'm driving Dannys Civic and he's taking it there. No way would I drive my black Civic or Dannys Civic that far, can't stand it lol. But, even though I'm signed up, still not 100% sure if I'll go..

The one small problem with making it a T&T event is that anybody running for SB or Index points would be less inclined to run there and you'd possibly lose a few entrants.

I really think location is the hurting factor more than anything else.
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

17 views and only 1 answer. This is your club guys help us make it better for you guys. ;)

AJ I see your points, is there nothing that would make it worth the drive? I know a few of us from the Frederick area have an hour plus drive to Bowie so we can sympathize.

The thing about the Winchester lot is it is the largest lot we have and one of the best traction surfaces and definitely the fastest. We think people would really enjoy the lot if they would come out and try it. However, we do understand the drive factor and are just trying to figure out something that might entice you guys who live further out to come out and to it.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
marklombard
Car: FFR - "Leroy"
CDC Member#: 813

Post by marklombard »

Same as AJ. Travel time is too long in a car not so comfortable for long distance driving. About 1 1/2 hours for me as well.
God is good-all the time!
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

The winchester lot is a blast...one of my favorite CDC locations. :mrgreen:

I don't like the idea of a making it a TNT. You could keep it a scored event and still give more runs for more $$. Maybe $5-10 more entry fee and 8 runs instead of 6? We members might also be able to bump up attendance by talking it up a bit in our respective online communities...maybe draw in some non-members who are more local to Winchester?
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
Imprezive_04
Car: 99 FRC\EvoX
CDC Member#: 317

Post by Imprezive_04 »

The Winchester lot is the best cdc has to offer because of it's size. Some of the courses last year with the option cones and what not were awesome. Plus it's only about a 45 minute drive for me :)

Does the Mercedes Club still run there on Sundays? How is their attendence? Could we do something to draw their members?

With it's proximity to Summit I would think cdc could draw better attendence we just need to get the word spread to the non core cdc autocrossers (i.e. outside of DC/Baltimore).

I would also be against making it a tnt. Eventhough it is the closest event for me if it didn't count for points I probably wouldn't bother.
Ryan P
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

I also like Winchester. I am not in favor of test n tune runs for a reduced fee. I'd rather pay a little more for more runs that counts, or leave it alone and try to get more participants.

We only get this lot in the summer, and I think attendace is a little lower since everyone is doing more other activities, if, unlike me they have a life.
Fred
The_Bishop
Car: '08 E.R.A FIA / '04 STi
CDC Member#: 316

Post by The_Bishop »

I'm in favor of the $10 reduction for a second slot b/c I always leave an auto-x wishing I could have had more runs - feeling like I leave a second or so on the course. My car is in a development phase, so more runs is always better for me.......so yeah....it sounds like I would be in favor of a TnT as well, but I like to see my times/position posted relative to my peers.

But I think none of these options will attract people to a course that is "out of the way" for many cdc regulars. CDC's generous drop allowance and capital area auto-xing opportunities abound are my main thoughts supporting this. I think Wade and Ryan's suggestions to branch out the advertising and reach a broader base is what is needed here.

- Allen.
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

Imprezive_04 wrote:The Winchester lot is the best cdc has to offer because of it's size. Some of the courses last year with the option cones and what not were awesome. Plus it's only about a 45 minute drive for me :)

Does the Mercedes Club still run there on Sundays? How is their attendence? Could we do something to draw their members?

With it's proximity to Summit I would think cdc could draw better attendence we just need to get the word spread to the non core cdc autocrossers (i.e. outside of DC/Baltimore).

I would also be against making it a tnt. Eventhough it is the closest event for me if it didn't count for points I probably wouldn't bother.
It seems to be a struggle for Mercedes club to get 30 cars per event.

I like WInchester, a lot, but attendance has been poor. It really isn't much further for me to go there than most of the other lots. I agree with Fred and the others about charging a few more bucks and adding runs. Just my .02.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

It's far, but not terrible for me. a little over an hour.

If you made it a test and tune I probably wouldn't come just because I have to pick and choose my events these days... but I'd be fine paying a little extra if that's what it took (like we used to at summit point)

I do like the lot though, it's fast and we can do fun things with the courses.
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

I agree that the real key to Winchester is finding people that live there locally to join the club and participate. It just takes time.

I posted in ABC TV3 Winchester web site in their community section and also the ABC Channel News web site in Harrisonburg. In addition, I posted in CBS 9 News here in DC.
Tedzilla
Car: '58 MGA Coupe '04 Porsche
CDC Member#: 1

Post by Tedzilla »

Mercedes is an allied club, we honor their MBCA membership at our events and they do the same for our members. If you want you can do our event on the Sat and Mercedes on Sun...
If we have less than about 75 drivers by close of registration at 8:45, we should sell an extra 6 runs (only the 1st 6 are 'official'...) to the Hardcore with an upper limit.
Ted
Spaz_Attack
Car: A used rally car
CDC Member#: 473

Post by Spaz_Attack »

I have seen videos of the lot and it looks amazing. I would love to go, the only thing keeping me from going is, according to google, its 2 hours away for me.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Winchester is the second best non-Fed Ex lot AFTER Waldorf in my experience so I don't mind the drive at all to attend via CDC or MB club. Of those two choices listed I'd take the other discount. I'd actually like having a TnT & event there. Would be great to have a TnT the following day after an event somewhere else other than HGS (which is also far) and at a much better location. I'm also happy to pay more as a regular fee to support CDC using that great location as well. I'll be there both days with both clubs during this event.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

As others have said, I think the best bet is trying to reach out to the locals auto enthusiasts of that area. This club(along with so many others in the area) holds so many other events in closer locations. To me, I just don't see it being worth the drive since I could just run at a closer lot with you guys some other time and still have more than enough events under my belt for points(or just plain fun). Also, with so many other clubs running near by, it's very likely another event is running the same day or day after at a closer location so I might be more inclined to go there. It's great that the club holds so many events a season, but I think it also hurts the club in a way.

Trying to pull in new members by spreading the word, especially in that area, would probably be pretty beneficial. Post on a bunch of car forums in the local sections. I'm sure the majority of people on here are on numerous other car forums..
Imprezive_04
Car: 99 FRC\EvoX
CDC Member#: 317

Post by Imprezive_04 »

Just got the extra run discount email. Will the extra runs count or will only the first 6 runs be scored?
Ryan P
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

Only the first 6 runs will be scored. Think of the extra runs as discounted seat time. We will still track them like they were runs so you can see how you improved.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

The extra runs will NOT be reported in the event results on our web page, but they will be viewable at the live results display at the event. If you want to keep a record of your extra runs, I suggest taking a picture of your timesheet (or the results screen) before leaving the event.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
ProDarwin
Car: Who knows?
CDC Member#: 242

Post by ProDarwin »

How fast is Winchester?

Its hard to justify when Susq. SCCA is running at Hershey (which is HUGE) and isn't much further than Winchester for most. Its probably closer for some of the Frederick guys.
Travis
eage8

Post by eage8 »

ProDarwin wrote:How fast is Winchester?

Its hard to justify when Susq. SCCA is running at Hershey (which is HUGE) and isn't much further than Winchester for most. Its probably closer for some of the Frederick guys.
I would say it's easily the fastest CDC lot because it's pretty long. but that isn't saying much. It's still not close to FedEx as far as speed.
-Mike #887

03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

I was under the impression that the Hershey lot this go round for Susq. was smaller than the Giant lot they used in April? I'll be up there on Sunday most likely.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

I'd say Winchester is about as long as Waldorf, just not as wide. Pavement conditions are good, a little less than Waldorf.

Ditto to what Mike said, I take a cell phone pic of all of my time sheets so I have a copy of my run info in a log I keep.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

Here's a vid from a typical course last year (sorry for the crappy quality)......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KOJ_h-smec
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
eage8

Post by eage8 »

Wade Chamberlain wrote:

Here's a vid from a typical course last year (sorry for the crappy quality)......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KOJ_h-smec
Here are 2 more (from different days):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojsZAxhsBj0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBS5lZjsst0
-Mike #887

AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

Well looks like I'm out for this event, same with Danny. His cars goin up to PA for some extensive decal work lol. Might end up doing Hersey instead since it'll be up there...