CDC represented well at Porsche Club autocross on 7/2/11

Parking lots and traffic cones.
marklombard
Car: FFR - "Leroy"
CDC Member#: 813

CDC represented well at Porsche Club autocross on 7/2/11

Post by marklombard »

CDC was well represented at the Porsche Club autocross at the Bowie Baysox Stadium parking lot last Saturday. Four CDC Cobras (six Cobras total) and Mikey Lane in his 350Z showed up to race and had the Porsche Club folks outnumbered in the early hours of the morning (of course then they came out of the woodwork for a total of 60 plus drivers). The first heat had Craig Stuart set the pace at a fast 50-some seconds (timing was done by hand as the electronic system crapped out before the racing began, also sorry I did not get all times as a list was not available so I tried to catch what I could from the announcer so I hope the numbers are right). The rest of us ran in the after lunch, high temperature "heat." Larry bested Wade running a 49 and change. Mikey had some good runs in the 350Z (did not catch his times). I ran one blazing (for me anyway) clean run at a 55 1/2 and then missed the stop box on my third run (a 67 once I found reverse, backed up and finally crossed the finish line). But Larry's CFTD (Cobra fastest time of the day) was bittersweet when Wade's ride refused to start for the fourth run (luckily it did get him home after cooling off).

There were some nice Porsches, Corvettes, and others there. It was a very hot event on an interesting course at Bowie where they also used the lower lot. I think Larry said something to the effect "I would rather be going 100 mph through the islands than as slow as this course lets you." Anyway, a fun day for me with my Faux-bros, Mikey, and the Porsche Club. I do need to say that a Porsche did run a 48 and change, very fast run for that course.
God is good-all the time!
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Re: CDC represented well at Porsche Club autocross on 7/2/11

Post by hepcatz »

Ugh, I'm still having nightmares from that event. :lol: I left with a 56.50
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

I'm guessing that the 48 for the Porsche was a result of the timing method (i.e. sticky start button on wristwatch). That guy is good, but alway several seconds behind Wade and Larry.
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

He is usually behind me as well.....they had me in the 51.x area (I believe :?: ). The only run I heard of his was a 51.x as well...
Tedzilla
Car: '58 MGA Coupe '04 Porsche
CDC Member#: 1

Post by Tedzilla »

We should give PCA it's own heat at our AXs so they could compete together and find out how many runs can be done if they were a little more organized (and had better equipment). With that light a crowd there should have been 6 runs plus fun runs.
Denise and I brought our P-car and may have done well in our class but no results are posted yet...
marklombard

Post by marklombard »

Sorry I missed the other CDCers in my scribing of the event. I agree PCA should attend a CDC event to get a feel how to work efficient transitions. I kept waiting for the pre-announcements to get ready for the transition but they never occurred. Could have saved a lot of time and got more runs in.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Well, at least they had a porta-potty! I'll never understand that idea of one club. :roll: (they're a good bunch of folks though)
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

http://www.pcapotomac.org/images/autocr ... 11_raw.pdf

Time to sell those Cobras, boys. The Boxster is where its at. ;)
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
marklombard

Post by marklombard »

So I sit corrected. Per the official, hand timed, results Wade was the second fastest overall at 48.6 with Larry just behind at 49.3 and Craig at 50.5. Only one of the P-cars beat Wade with a 48.4 (the Boxster in question). Total field was 69 cars. Mikey Lane was in #6 spot with a 51.8. I was uncomfortably back in 24th with my wimpy 55.8, but it was the fastest time for a guest on street tires (not much i know but I got to hold onto it).

FYI, it is hard to sell something after spending so much quality time with it (speaking for myself-like 500 hours so far).
LaurenceC
Car: 2007, Subaru, STI
CDC Member#: 228

Post by LaurenceC »

BugBomb wrote:Time to sell those Cobras, boys. The Boxster is where its at. ;)
I've been on the fence about selling mine :D
--Laurence #28 (a.k.a Bear) @20sqfab
2019 Shadow Gray, Chevrolet, Corvette
1993 Gray, Toyota, SW20 MR2 (Autocross)
1993 White, Toyota, SW20 MR2 (Time Trial)
1965 Silver, Factory Five Roadster
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

you should sell it and focus on the Focus.

Regarding the Porsche club auto-x w/ the wristwatch and cell phone timing....Larry was FTD, despite what the "results" say.
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

Wade Chamberlain wrote:Regarding the Porsche club auto-x w/ the wristwatch and cell phone timing....Larry was FTD, despite what the "results" say.

But I was "seventh!!!" Losers always have excuses ;)

No but really; I personally wouldnt show up to an autox that is timed by wristwatch and cell phones. Too many other clubs around here to risk getting worked up by that. Thats just....awful.