New to the board

Parking lots and traffic cones.
Montecarloman83
Car: '06 Cobalt LS

New to the board

Post by Montecarloman83 »

Greetings all, I'm hoping to make some auto-X runs at Harry Grove in Fredrick at the end of the month, I do have a few questions though. Primarily I am wondering if I really need the "at least $100,000 per person bodily injury and property damage insurance" to run. Also will I really need a helmet or is it really just a suggested item. Thanks very much, hope to have some fun with you all.
"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full."
Lucius Cornelius Sulla
bugman1964

Re: New to the board

Post by bugman1964 »

I will let someone else with more knowledge about the insurance answer that part. Besides saying that the car needs to be licensed and insured for street use, including all applicable state inspections.
As far as the helmet goes, it is a requirement not just a suggestion. While nothing bad has happened yet you never know what fluke things might happen during motor sports. With that being said the club does have loaner helmets that you can borrow if you don't own one. If you do not want to use a helmet that others have used then you can pick up a helmet for fairly cheap from a number of places including ebay and craigs list.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
Montecarloman83
Car: '06 Cobalt LS

Post by Montecarloman83 »

Cool beans, I was going to get a helmet over the winter in prep for next year. Guy at work told me about the runs at Harry Grove so I figure it would be a good place to shake the car down.

The car is my licenced, registered, and insured DD. I was just curious if I really had to change my coverage or not to run.
"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full."
Lucius Cornelius Sulla
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Montecarloman83 wrote:Cool beans, I was going to get a helmet over the winter in prep for next year. Guy at work told me about the runs at Harry Grove so I figure it would be a good place to shake the car down.

The car is my licenced, registered, and insured DD. I was just curious if I really had to change my coverage or not to run.
You might want to check your insurance coverage. I believe the $100,000 amount is the standard minimal amount that is required to tag and legally operate your vehicle. If your policy is less than that, let me know. I've never seen a policy with less liability coverage than this amount.
ferris

Post by ferris »

Also, while a helmet is a requirement to drive, we have plenty of loaner helmets to use.

Welcome to the club.
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

I don't know much about insurance when it comes to this, but, I'd say be careful. I've heard many times that insurance companies can/will drop you if they know you're involved with some sort of motorsports racing. Like mentioned, it's very rare that anything serious will happen, but the chances are there. I've seen a few incidents over the years but no ones ever gotten hurt. Usually it's minor damage, all cases could have been avoided too..
moxnix
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 0

Post by moxnix »

echan wrote:
Montecarloman83 wrote:Cool beans, I was going to get a helmet over the winter in prep for next year. Guy at work told me about the runs at Harry Grove so I figure it would be a good place to shake the car down.

You might want to check your insurance coverage. I believe the $100,000 amount is the standard minimal amount that is required to tag and legally operate your vehicle. If your policy is less than that, let me know. I've never seen a policy with less liability coverage than this amount.
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citiz ... urance.asp

Virginia requires the following minimum coverage:

Bodily injury/death of one person $25,000
Bodily injury/death of two or more persons $50,000
Property damage $20,000
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

Wow that's crazy low, that opens you up to owing a lot of money once you walk away from litigation.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.