Championship Standings

Parking lots and traffic cones.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Championship Standings

Post by BugBomb »

Ok everyone. The standings are now up-to-date and some things have shaken up in the past few events. The system is already dropping events for some folks since we only have 3 championship points events left. The championships are by no means over yet. We still have many interesting opportunities for some upsets, both in smallbore and the index championship.

Don't forget what the top 4 competitors in each category will be winning:

1st Place 8 free passes + trophy
2nd Place 4 free passes + trophy
3rd Place 2 free passes + trophy
4th place 1 free pass + trophy
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
Imprezive_04
Car: 99 FRC\EvoX
CDC Member#: 317

Re: Championship Standings

Post by Imprezive_04 »

Mike, We're dropping 8 this year right?

http://capitaldrivingclub.com/forum/vie ... =11&t=1073

So with 16 events the max point total should be 800? I think the current results need to drop 1 more?
Ryan P
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

There are only 15 with the one Hylton event getting cancelled. Seems silly to drop over half. I think 4 would be good. ;)
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Wade Chamberlain wrote:There are only 15 with the one Hylton event getting cancelled. Seems silly to drop over half. I think 4 would be good. ;)
Yes, we drop 8 events this year.

Actually, we have 16 points event this year. The Hylton event was re-scheduled not cancelled.

At the awards lunch people discussed the number of events to drop and all the vocal people wanted 8 to be dropped (about 1/2). In previous years we dropped 4 or 6 (about 1/3 of the events). I can see the case for both dropping 8 or 6. I guess we can split the difference and drop 7 next year. We can discuss it again at the awards lunch/forum for the 2012 season.
Wade Chamberlain

echan wrote:
Wade Chamberlain wrote:There are only 15 with the one Hylton event getting cancelled. Seems silly to drop over half. I think 4 would be good. ;)

Actually, we have 16 points event this year. The Hylton event was re-scheduled not cancelled.
I ran out of fingers, but I think I counted correctly. We've run 12 events and there are 3 left. There are 16 shown on the schedule (including the Hylton make up date), but the cancelled Hylton event is still listed on there too (7/23). I was really just trying to get a rise out of Ryan, but it still seems silly to drop over half. :D
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
Imprezive_04

Post by Imprezive_04 »

Wade Chamberlain wrote:
echan wrote:

I ran out of fingers, but I think I counted correctly. We've run 12 events and there are 3 left. There are 16 shown on the schedule (including the Hylton make up date), but the cancelled Hylton event is still listed on there too (7/23). I was really just trying to get a rise out of Ryan, but it still seems silly to drop over half. :D

Yep I went back and counted after my post and saw the same thing. 15 events. 7 or 8 makes the most sense at this point, but 4 is not going to work! :lol:
Ryan P
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

We originally had 6 Harry Grove weekends scheduled but one of them became just a T&T. Since we ended up with less than 16 events, my vote would be to drop 7 instead of 8. Dropping more than half does seem a bit excessive.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
Imprezive_04

Post by Imprezive_04 »

I second that motion ^
Ryan P
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

I haven't looked at the results or standings, but think you should stick to whatever the rule was at the beginning of the season. Changing the criteria at the end of the year is not a great idea. I've been involved in some series where the rules were "fluid", someone will alway think the change was unfair.
Fredk
FredK

Post by FredK »

I haven't looked at the results or standings, but think you should stick to whatever the rule was at the beginning of the season. Changing the criteria at the end of the year is not a great idea. I've been involved in some series where the rules were "fluid", someone will alway think the change was unfair.
Fredk
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

I was told that we were going to have another event at harry grove that isn't scheduled yet... which would make this all moot. But I'm not sure if that's still accurate.
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
Wade Chamberlain

FredK wrote:I haven't looked at the results or standings, but think you should stick to whatever the rule was at the beginning of the season. Changing the criteria at the end of the year is not a great idea. I've been involved in some series where the rules were "fluid", someone will alway think the change was unfair.
Fredk
"We will drop roughly half rather than 1/3 of the events"

I guess it depends on how you interpret the rule. Agree w/ Mike G though...if we're getting another HG event, there's no discussion! I stand by my opinion that it's silly to drop the majority of events though. It would seem better for the long term health of the club to encourage event attendance by making participation worth something.
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
Imprezive_04

Post by Imprezive_04 »

Simple really. If you care about points and read the rules change thread you knew from the begining of the year that the championship would be based on 800 points (16 events - 8). So just keep the championship to 800 points and the problem is solved. So either drop 7 with the current schedule or drop 8 if another event is added.
Ryan P
echan

Post by echan »

I looked back at what we said at the begining of the season and what was implied.

I did state that we would drop roughly half the events (8 events). I did use the number "8", which at the time was based on 16 events. Since that time, Harry Grove did cancel one event, leaving the club with one event credit.

I'll check to see if we can get an additional event scheduled (and if we have the organizers to run it).
FredK

Post by FredK »

I seriously could care less, but if the rule had the term "roughly half" in it as part of the formula you might want to tighten that up some. I haven't been around as much as usual, I've been working on my car..it's now is on street tires, weighs 3501 lbs, and has 99 hp. Can't wait for this weekend.
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

I have to agree with grumpy ol Fred. Things like this should be understood, agreed on and set in stone before the season starts. Leaving it to guess work and mid-late season changes that could easily effect everyones season standings isn't very good. There should be a plan for canceled/dropped events. But, I know it's a constant learning process...

I don't see anything wrong with dropping half or more for season points... 15-16 events from ONE club in a season is a lot. Double what any other club around here runs. That's great and all but you have to expect to drop a lot with that many events.. There are only a handful here that have run (nearly) every event. Look at the list and you'll see the majority make only about half of the events at most in a season anyways..
echan

Post by echan »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:I have to agree with grumpy ol Fred. Things like this should be understood, agreed on and set in stone before the season starts. Leaving it to guess work and mid-late season changes that could easily effect everyones season standings isn't very good. There should be a plan for canceled/dropped events. But, I know it's a constant learning process...

I don't see anything wrong with dropping half or more for season points... 15-16 events from ONE club in a season is a lot. Double what any other club around here runs. That's great and all but you have to expect to drop a lot with that many events.. There are only a handful here that have run (nearly) every event. Look at the list and you'll see the majority make only about half of the events at most in a season anyways..
We are looking into getting another event at Harry Grove and dropping 8 events for season points.

In the future season, we may re-word the series to count the 8 or 9 events (e.g. -state the number of events that we count rather than the number of events we drop). This way, if events get cancelled, the number of events we count will remain the same. (this idea was someone else's not mine - a good suggestion!)
Wade Chamberlain

good idea
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
Imprezive_04

Post by Imprezive_04 »

Another event had to be canceled. So, what is the decision here? Will the championship be based on 800 points, 700?
Ryan P
echan

Post by echan »

Imprezive_04 wrote:Another event had to be canceled. So, what is the decision here? Will the championship be based on 800 points, 700?
We have no choice but to drop 8 events, since that is what we said at the begining of the season. We will contact Harry Grove this week to see if they will credit us another weekend.
eage8

Post by eage8 »

echan wrote:
Imprezive_04 wrote:Another event had to be canceled. So, what is the decision here? Will the championship be based on 800 points, 700?
We have no choice but to drop 8 events, since that is what we said at the beginning of the season. We will contact Harry Grove this week to see if they will credit us another weekend.
I know this is a conversation for this winter, but having 14 events and dropping 8 of them is pretty lame...
-Mike #887

eage8

Post by eage8 »

To answer your question, it's based on 600 points with the currently scheduled events.
-Mike #887

Imprezive_04

Post by Imprezive_04 »

eage8 wrote:
echan wrote:
We have no choice but to drop 8 events, since that is what we said at the beginning of the season. We will contact Harry Grove this week to see if they will credit us another weekend.
I know this is a conversation for this winter, but having 14 events and dropping 8 of them is pretty lame...
Agreed, and I think the "roughly half" comment in the original rule post allows you to drop 7 this season and base the championship on 700 pts, but it may not matter much either way.
Ryan P
Spaz_Attack
Car: A used rally car
CDC Member#: 473

Post by Spaz_Attack »

I vote for drop 8, then give extra points based on how Jalopnik the primary car used this season is.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.