What occurs at Tech Inspection?

Parking lots and traffic cones.
elyblue
Car: 2011 Subaru WRX
CDC Member#: 637

What occurs at Tech Inspection?

Post by elyblue »

All,

Being as this Saturday is the first time to an Autocross event, I am wondering what exactly happens during a tech inspection. What tools are required and will the inspector ask for you to remove parts to verify measurements of another, such as break pad thickness? The vehicle I am using is a 2011 Subaru WRX with 6k miles on it.
JG
Why blame the car?
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Re: What occurs at Tech Inspection?

Post by v10climber »

I think you'll probably be ok with only 6k miles on your car ;)

In a nutshell...
1. all loose objects removed from the car (this includes floor mats).
2. Batter is tied down properly and nothing loose in the engine bay
3. Wheel lugs are torqued down properly
4. Gas pedal and brake aren't sticking or misbehaving in any way
5. Valid driver license
6. Closed toe shoes

I think I about covered everything. Essentially as long as your car is in decent mechanical condition you'll be good to go. With such a new car you probably don't have anything to worry about unless you have a huge crack in your windshield or you've spent your weekends doing donuts in your fancy AWD car and now have wires sticking out of your tires... Don't be afraid to ask questions while you're out there so you don't get confused and you'll be good to go :mrgreen:
--Nick D
soviet
Car: '91 Rusty Miata
CDC Member#: 586

Post by soviet »

The CDC tech inspection is pretty relaxed. You pull up, open your trunk and hood. The inspectors then check that
  • Your battery is secure
  • There are no loose items in trunk/interior
  • Driver floor mats are removed
  • Wheel bearings don't make abnormal noises (they simply push on the wheels back and forth a bit)
Then you rev your engine a little bit to make sure throttle closes correctly. Done!

Other organizations will sometimes check lug nut torque and make you do a no-hands-on-the-wheel brake test to make sure your car stops in a straight line.
JoeTR6
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

We also check for corded tires (doubtful at 6k miles, but you never know ;)). I visually check brakes for scoring, but can't check for pad thickness. I think someone mentioned emptying out your car *before* pulling up to tech, but I'll say it again. Even small stuff flying around inside a car (like a cell phone) can hurt. You certainly don't want a water bottle or floor mat jammed behind your brake pedal.