Driver Numbers

Parking lots and traffic cones.
xph34rt3hr34p3r
Car: 2010 Subaru Impreza STI
CDC Member#: 449

Driver Numbers

Post by xph34rt3hr34p3r »

So I noticed that we will be required to have our Driver Number displayed on the car this year. Does anyone know a cheap place to get magnetic numbers from? I saw a post from Defylogic in 2009 about selling magnets. Not sure if he's still in that business or not, but with the first event only being 2 weeks away I'd be looking for a quick turn around. Has anyone had luck finding these locally at specific stores?

Thanks,
Mike
"Loose is fast, and on the edge you're out of control." -Harry Hogge, Days of Thunder

|2010 STI|RCE Yellows|330F/335R|RCE Swaybars|Kartboy EndL's|Kartboy 6spd SS|SPT Exhaust|
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Re: Driver Numbers

Post by eage8 »

xph34rt3hr34p3r wrote:So I noticed that we will be required to have our Driver Number displayed on the car this year. Does anyone know a cheap place to get magnetic numbers from? I saw a post from Defylogic in 2009 about selling magnets. Not sure if he's still in that business or not, but with the first event only being 2 weeks away I'd be looking for a quick turn around. Has anyone had luck finding these locally at specific stores?

Thanks,
Mike
ssc-tint.com is awesome. they're up in PA. I needed mine fast last year and they weren't going to get here in time so mike drove them down from PA to my work in columbia. Amazing customer service and the numbers look great too.
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Remember you can also use painters tape, vynl stickers, or even a piece of paper with the numbers printed on them.
Jim Harris

Post by Jim Harris »

How about shoe polish on the windows? Good enough?

Jim
echan
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Jim Harris wrote:How about shoe polish on the windows? Good enough?

Jim
Yes. forgot to list that!
Sky Render
Car: 2011 Mustang 5.0
CDC Member#: 750

Post by Sky Render »

RaceDayVinyl.com is pretty good.
Vince (#750)
Grey 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I'm slow.
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

Sky Render wrote:RaceDayVinyl.com is pretty good.
RaceDayVinyl.com = Defylogic = Scott unless he sold the business. Good guy and good product.
JoeTR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

I cut numbers out of thin magnetic rubbery material and slap those on the doors. The stuff isn't too expensive. I think MJDesigns has it. The club may even have some available. For extra credit. put your bar code stickers on those and tape over them with clear mailing tape.
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

I get my magnets and vinyls from iZoom Graphics. Really great guy, good prices and quality product.

iZOOM Graphics
-- Jason
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

JoeTR6 wrote:I cut numbers out of thin magnetic rubbery material and slap those on the doors. The stuff isn't too expensive. I think MJDesigns has it. The club may even have some available. For extra credit. put your bar code stickers on those and tape over them with clear mailing tape.
You can buy vent covers at Home Depot or Lowes that are made out of that material...pretty cheap and easy to cut. When I had a car that they'd stick to, I used to print out numbers in any cool font that I wanted, blown up super big on the computer, and trace/cut on the magnetic material. Worked GREAT.

For vinyl, I've had REALLY good luck with the reusable vinyl numbers from these guys....
http://www.soloperformance.com/Autocros ... _c_34.html

I used a set of their numbers for 3 full seasons and they're going strong. I did finally rip one number because I tried to remove it on a 30° day....totally my fault. I tried the "reusable" numbers from RDV and they stretched/tore the first time I tried to remove them. They're a fraction of the thickness of the reusable material from soloperformance.
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
qtrracer
Car: 86 Mustang GT 'Vert
CDC Member#: 612

Post by qtrracer »

eage8 wrote:ssc-tint.com is awesome. they're up in PA.
x2 Got our first set from Mike last year; really nice product. For this year, talked to Mike last Wednesday; ours should be here before next Saturday. Great price too.
Sky Render
Car: 2011 Mustang 5.0
CDC Member#: 750

Post by Sky Render »

david.valeri wrote:
RaceDayVinyl.com = Defylogic = Scott unless he sold the business. Good guy and good product.
Oh, I didn't know that! I ordered the white ones from him that I used last year. I've completely blacked out my car now, though, so I ordered a new set of larger black numbers to go with the "evil" theme my car now has going on.
Vince (#750)
Grey 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I'm slow.
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

david.valeri wrote:
+1.

Buy local
madrian
Car: e90 M3,NB Miata,'31 Ford
CDC Member#: 547

Post by madrian »

Wade Chamberlain wrote:
JoeTR6 wrote:I cut numbers out of thin magnetic rubbery material and slap those on the doors. The stuff isn't too expensive. I think MJDesigns has it. The club may even have some available. For extra credit. put your bar code stickers on those and tape over them with clear mailing tape.
You can buy vent covers at Home Depot or Lowes that are made out of that material...pretty cheap and easy to cut. When I had a car that they'd stick to, I used to print out numbers in any cool font that I wanted, blown up super big on the computer, and trace/cut on the magnetic material. Worked GREAT.

For vinyl, I've had REALLY good luck with the reusable vinyl numbers from these guys....

I used a set of their numbers for 3 full seasons and they're going strong. I did finally rip one number because I tried to remove it on a 30° day....totally my fault. I tried the "reusable" numbers from RDV and they stretched/tore the first time I tried to remove them. They're a fraction of the thickness of the reusable material from soloperformance.
Agreed - this place used to be called solotime (bought out/sold?), but when I was running the Trans Am in FL, the re-usable vinyls were of phenomenal quality. I put about 3 seasons on them without any troubles.
--Mike Adrian
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

Wade Chamberlain wrote:For vinyl, I've had REALLY good luck with the reusable vinyl numbers from these guys....
They sell magnetic numbers too and I haven't had any problems with mine and I've got quite a few over the years.
--Nick D
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

another +1 for racedayvinyl.com

nice guy, fantastic prices, great work, quick turnaround and local. plus history of supporting cdc. can't beat that. go with rdv!
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

Gents -

We (RDV) are still hanging around. Might even make it to an autocross this year, just so I can poke a stick at Franklin. :)

As for driver numbers on the car, if you email me the size required (haven't been privy to those conversations), I can come up with something that will work. Off the top of my head, i would recommend a 2"x8"/12" magnetic panel, with vinyl on top for the numbers. That way you could just slap it on and take it back off. I could do these with the magnetic scrap I produce from making other numbers, so the cost would be pretty darn cheap.

As for the reusable material - we have had good feedback, and bad feedback on them. There are a lot of variables on those, including temperature, wax, etc. If your car can hold a magnetic number, I recommend a magnetic. If your options are limited by your fiberglass car, then as an alternate i recommend a few sets of throw away permanent numbers.. if none of that works, we recommend reusable. We have changed the formula quite a bit over the past 2 years on our reusable, but as Wade said - they will eventually stretch too much and be useless. The UPSIDE to reusable numbers is the material adhesive leaves no trace residue on the car.. not even in really hot weather.

Of course, if you wanted to go SUPER cheap, buy some vent cover squares at HD and use a sharpie. Quick, easy, CHEAP and effective :) Make sure to store the vent covers flat though, they deform permanently when pinched.

As an FYI:
We do permanent vinyl, magnetics (panels and custom cut), and re-usable vinyl. We have (currently) about 40 colors in stock, including some pretty interesting metallic and chrome. We run two cutting machines - one is a 48" width for cutting vinyl, the other is a 30" width that is used for just cutting magnetic material. Our only limitation on size is the length of the material we can get. Generally, that is about 150ft at max. We make all the numbers/orders ourselves (no outsourcing) here in Alexandria, and charge about half the price of solotime/et. all. We also give back a fairly large portion of our profits to local clubs, charities and grassroots racers through partnerships and sponsorships. We also provided all of the graphics(official partner) to the Brock Yates/Tire Rack One Lap of America for 2010 and 2011.

email - sales@racedayvinyl.com

Thanks gents,

Scott
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

Scott-
good to hear you're still working on the reusable #'s...I think there's a good market there for you. The adhesive "tack" seemed appropriate on the ones I tried. The biggest difference between yours and the ones for SPS is thickness. The SPS material is SUPER thick...8 mil white, 12 mil colors.
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193