Autocross School?

Parking lots and traffic cones.
Sky Render
Car: 2011 Mustang 5.0
CDC Member#: 750

Autocross School?

Post by Sky Render »

I'm really thinking of going to one of the autocross schools in the region this year. However, I've heard that one of the schools is better than others. Which one is recommended?
Vince (#750)
Grey 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I'm slow.
Ben L
Car: FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
CDC Member#: 20

Re: Autocross School?

Post by Ben L »

Evolution is tops. But the SCCA Washington DC Region Level I and II schools are good introductions to the fundamentals, and you get lots and lots of seat time, which is great. I mean lots. For a Level II, consider your tires, because they will be pretty much toast after you are done with your 50 or so runs
Ben Lambiotte
FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
363 ci Ford Racing Boss Stroker
CDC No. 20
neonphase
Car: 09 VW GTI
CDC Member#: 615

Post by neonphase »

hum.. I was looking at the scca class my self
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

The SCCA school is quite good, I've taken the level 2 school before. If that isn't in your budget, NCCBMW and a few other local clubs offer some schools. Be sure to also grab seasoned drivers here with CDC for ride-alongs as well.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
Sky Render
Car: 2011 Mustang 5.0
CDC Member#: 750

Post by Sky Render »

Ben L wrote:Evolution is tops. But the SCCA Washington DC Region Level I and II schools are good introductions to the fundamentals, and you get lots and lots of seat time, which is great. I mean lots. For a Level II, consider your tires, because they will be pretty much toast after you are done with your 50 or so runs
Doesn't Sam Strano teach at the Evo School? I'm getting ready to order some parts from him; I should just ask him when he's teaching...
Vince (#750)
Grey 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I'm slow.
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

I'm sure Sammy will be teaching at the April 7th event in Waldorf. Jr Johnson will be there too...
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

As others have said, Evo is probably the best around, I suppose even in the country. WDCR school is great, I've done a couple Level 2's and I owe a big thanks to it (mainly Brian Garfield, Brian Burdette and Mike Stanley) for where I'm at now as a driver. NCCBMW Novice Schools are also good, esp for the low entry fee compared to the other schools.
neonphase
Car: 09 VW GTI
CDC Member#: 615

Post by neonphase »

Ok so I have a question about schooling. So I went threw all of last season with the CDC and I have been building a car step buy step so I can feel and tell what the differences each part does per recommendation and I have been building per another person who I know auto-x's his car.

So with that said would it be better for me to sign up for the Level 2 schooling or should I still attend the level 1 schooling?
Ben L
Car: FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
CDC Member#: 20

Post by Ben L »

Unless they know you and your driving, its unlikely SCCA would let you sign up for a Level II without doing a Level I first. One thing taking these schools will teach you is that you don't know as much as you think you do. I try to take a Level I and Level II every season. The Level I school focuses on repeated drills that illustrate important car dynamics principles, and allows you to practice throttle steering, looking ahead, optimal car position in relation to different course elements, and other things, over and over. Because the elapsed seat time in an autocross is less than five minutes, and you have to put a bunch of things together in that very small span of time, the concentration and repetition in a school is really really valuable. Level II is intended to build on what you learn in Level I. Don't let your conception of your skill level cheat yourself. Take the whole program as SCCA designed it, and start at the beginning.
Ben Lambiotte
FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
363 ci Ford Racing Boss Stroker
CDC No. 20
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

neonphase wrote:Ok so I have a question about schooling. So I went threw all of last season with the CDC and I have been building a car step buy step so I can feel and tell what the differences each part does per recommendation and I have been building per another person who I know auto-x's his car.

So with that said would it be better for me to sign up for the Level 2 schooling or should I still attend the level 1 schooling?

The courses SCCA runs are longer and quite a bit quicker than CDC. The instructors for 1 and 2 are most likely the same people. They will push you, regardless of level, to what they feel you are capable of. It can't hurt to ground yourself more in the basics prior to level 2. The stronger grasp on said basics will make it all the more educational and efficient when you take 2. Just my opinion.
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

neonphase wrote:Ok so I have a question about schooling. So I went threw all of last season with the CDC and I have been building a car step buy step so I can feel and tell what the differences each part does per recommendation and I have been building per another person who I know auto-x's his car.

Caitlin and I are signed up for the Evo school on the 7th. This will be my first auto-x school so I'm not entirely sure what to expect but hopefully the higher price of the Evo school is justified. The one on the 7th is the Evo "phase I" school. If you're looking to do a school soon I think there are seats still available. We might be running the corvette club or scca auto-x this weekend to try and get Caitlin's mini a little better sorted before the evo school.
--Nick D