Inclement Weather Policy? Lighting/Thunder

Parking lots and traffic cones.
KanosWRX

Inclement Weather Policy? Lighting/Thunder

Post by KanosWRX »

I was just looking over the weather report. While I can deal with rain I know the SCCA closes down shop once they hear thunder because that means lightning is around. What is CDC's policy on this because they are calling for thunder on Saturday :(
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Re: Inclement Weather Policy? Lighting/Thunder

Post by kyle.bowker »

CDC will make a determination before 12 noon on Friday whether the event will proceed as scheduled. If the event is canceled, we will make every reasonable attempt to notify participants via e-mail and the blog and discussion forum portions of the website on Friday. If the event proceeds, we will continue to run in a light rain or drizzle but if the rain becomes heavy or if there is any thunder or lightning we will stop immediately and seek cover. We may wait briefly for the storm to pass or we may call it a day. If we have to call it quits and end the day early there will be no refunds given to participants who have taken their morning runs. If you did not get to race at all you will receive a full refund.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

I'll also update the FAQ to reflect this policy. Generally we run rain or shine but only so long as there's no thunderstorms and the rainfall amounts aren't too great. March and April events are always tough to predict because the weather is often rainy. We don't like to work in the rain anymore than you do so if there's a good chance of steady rain and thunderstorms we'll most likely cancel the event. It's no fun to show up at 7am in the pouring rain to setup the course and only have 20 participants show up at 8am because everyone else decided it wasn't worth it. Having said that, we've had events in the past that were canceled because of hurricane predictions and the day ended up being gorgeous. We've also rolled the dice a few times and suffered minor, passing rain showers that weren't too disruptive. I think one time we got caught in a deluge that ruined everybody's day. It's hard to predict the weather and it's tough making that judgment call whether to run or not. If the weather prediction calls for rain keep your eyes peeled for an official announcement.
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

Thank god for AWD and a fixed roof.
PatN217
Car: 2004 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 0

Post by PatN217 »

With the outlook for Saturday looking worse with every weather report, what is the possibility of moving the event to Sunday? I dont know how much of a pain it is to deal with parks and recreation and how many people will have scheduling conflicts but it might be worth a shot, plus the weather report shows it being dry on Sunday.
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

Their is another event scheduled on Sunday in Hershey PA. I would not be in favor of trying to reshedule this event. I am RWD, big slicks and no top,or wipers, it might be alot like last Sunday, fun. Don't stand too close to the light poles, and tires are great insulaters from electricity.
Fredk
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

It's almost impossible to reschedule for the very next day. We have to not only go through Parks and Planning office but also the Bowie Baysox Organization, another contract is prepared, and we have to get another certificate of insurance. In addition, the list of participants has an uncertainty level of near zero. In the end, we would just try to schedule another event later in the year (e.g. October).

The other bad thing is that we could have a situation like last weekend, where rain was in the forecast for Saturday but instead Saturday was Sunny and it rained on Sunday.