Tips to get fast times in the first four runs?

Parking lots and traffic cones.
Hobbs5313
Car: 05 S2000(sold); 2011 328i
CDC Member#: 306

Tips to get fast times in the first four runs?

Post by Hobbs5313 »

Does anyone have any tips that they could share so that you could get your fastest times in the first three to four runs? I normally get my fastest personal times as I get more runs.

What techniques do you use so that your first 3-4 runs are just as quick as your last 4-8? May be visualization of the course, some sort of prep work before the runs, etc.? Any tip would be appreciated. Thanks.
scheherazade
Car: 09 GTR
CDC Member#: 684

Re: Tips to get fast times in the first four runs?

Post by scheherazade »

I was thinking that riding a bicycle through the course (as opposed to walking it) could help memory.

-scheherazade
scheherazade
Car: 09 GTR
CDC Member#: 684

Post by scheherazade »

I was thinking that riding a bicycle through the course (as opposed to walking it) could help memory.

-scheherazade
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

One way I ensure my fast times are in the first four runs is by . . .

driving really slow on the latter runs. Don't believe me? Look at my last results. lol
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

walk the course as many times as possible (by yourself..no chatting), and get in the habit of always looking 2 or 3 elements ahead when you're driving.
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

scheherazade wrote:I was thinking that riding a bicycle through the course (as opposed to walking it) could help memory.

-scheherazade
I don't what CDC says about that, but it is strictly forbidden at SCCA events.

The way I learned to go fast early was one of necessity. My car rarely makes 3-4 runs before breaking.

:(
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

Leaving and getting more gas before the afternoon session seems to help :x
silver 681
Hobbs5313

Post by Hobbs5313 »

Thanks for the responses. I like the suggestion to walk the course as many times as possible and to look further ahead while driving. I even thought about using my phone to video tape the course as I'm walking. I'm not sure about driving slower in the later runs though. :lol:

My question was really targeted towards SCCA events. I participated in one a couple of weeks ago and really liked the course setup - it's long and fast. The only issue is that you only get four runs.
JoeTR6
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

What Wade said. As you're walking the course, really think about where/which direction you want the car to be. You'll slowly get better at reading the course. Follow an experienced driver (with a similar car) and see what they look at and say. Mike Moran and others are really good at reading a course. Don't jump into the first heat. Sign up for later heats and watch experienced drivers on different parts of the course before you drive.

I usually start slow and drop time in small amounts, so I'm in the same boat. I just can't seem to drive fast on the first few runs, and focus on 2-3 things I could do better for the next run. You can't fix everything at once. Also, don't *overthink* the course. Sometimes just doing what feels natural (and smooth) is the right thing to do. One thing I need to do better at is to stop coasting. I'm trying to move my brake points later (but not too late) on earlier runs and focus on getting on the gas sooner.

My fastest run last weekend was when I was testing the course. Go figure.
Wade Chamberlain

if you're referring to SCCA events, tag along with their novice walk if you can. Brian Garfield has been doing them lately, and he does a nice job of showing you where to look, how to set up, where to give it up, etc.
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
CaitieD
Car: 2010 MINI JCW Hardtop
CDC Member#: 543

Post by CaitieD »

Wade Chamberlain wrote:walk the course as many times as possible (by yourself..no chatting), and get in the habit of always looking 2 or 3 elements ahead when you're driving.
+1

There's a really good write up on course walking strategy on the WDCR SCCA website: http://www.wdcr-scca.org/SoloAutocross/ ... fault.aspx.

(1) Look ahead, look ahead, look ahead. While walking and driving, but don't just rely on looking ahead to lead you through the course while you're driving. (2) When you walk pick out the important cones and before you drive, run through the course in your head keeping in mind those important cones. (3) After every run pick one or two things you know you can improve on and make your next run about improving those things.

Working the course = seat time. (4) Watch and note what the fast guys are doing differently to the slow guys. You won't be able to see the whole course (at SCCA events anyways), but you should be able to see a lot and learn a lot just by watching. Of course, this is only helpful if you work before you run.

And finally, (5) take a driving school and (6) get more seat time.
Caitlin
Hobbs5313

Post by Hobbs5313 »

Thanks for everyone's input. There's a lot of great tips! I'll definitely pay more attention and plan better when I'm walking the course. I've been thinking of signing up for an autoX driving school, especially the ones offered by Evolution. I've read great things about them. What's also cool is that Catie and Nick's red Mini JCW Cooper S is in the same SCCA class as mine (when on street tires), and they're both great drivers. There's nothing like good competition to push you to get better. :D
Wade Chamberlain

The Evo school is excellent....highly recommended. WDCR puts on schools too, but I've never been. BMW club does one too.
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
Apexcarver

Post by Apexcarver »

On coursewalking, make your goal to be able to sit with your eyes closed and reconstruct the course by memory. Be able to visualize the details that matter, braking points, turn-in points, lines, and what you want the car doing where. Everything. This takes time and a lot of effort.

Walk until you are able to do this.

Then, do it several times throughout the time between the walk and your runs.

Right before you get out on the course, do it again.

Between runs, alter your recreation to reflect what you have learned about the course as well as notes to yourself for things you need to change about your approach and visualize again.

Frequently the problem with pace lies in one of two areas or a combination. Either you are developing the ability to interpret what the course needs, OR, you are working on getting the car to do what you want it to.

It is a real memory challenge to be able to do this with your eyes closed and no cues. Thing is that the biggest hill to climb in auto-x is mental, think of this as studying for an exam rather then just going in to take it. (Like an exam, never underestimate the last minute cram, the recreate right before a run)

Used to do this, have grown lazy and need to get back into it as I feel my performance has suffered a lot without it. (its a lot of work though!)
(╯°□°)╯︵|> ____________________ Joseph O.
TommySalami
Car: S2000
CDC Member#: 409

Post by TommySalami »

yeah, you want to make sure that when you do your course walk, you're looking ahead and looking at the same things you're gonna be looking at when you're in the car

and not talking to me, haha
Hobbs5313

Post by Hobbs5313 »

CaitieD wrote: There's a really good write up on course walking strategy on the WDCR SCCA website: http://www.wdcr-scca.org/SoloAutocross/ ... fault.aspx.
Great read by the way. Thanks for sharing.
Wade Chamberlain wrote:The Evo school is excellent....highly recommended. WDCR puts on schools too, but I've never been. BMW club does one too.
Thanks. It looks like there are no Evo classes for the rest of this year in the area. I'll have to look at other options.
Apexcarver wrote:On coursewalking, make your goal to be able to sit with your eyes closed and reconstruct the course by memory. Be able to visualize the details that matter, braking points, turn-in points, lines, and what you want the car doing where. Everything. This takes time and a lot of effort.

Walk until you are able to do this.

Then, do it several times throughout the time between the walk and your runs.

Right before you get out on the course, do it again.

Between runs, alter your recreation to reflect what you have learned about the course as well as notes to yourself for things you need to change about your approach and visualize again.
Good points.
TommySalami wrote:and not talking to me, haha
Haha. No talking - just a ride along next time.
Hobbs5313

Post by Hobbs5313 »

Btw, this is turning out to be a great thread. I hope others are getting something out of all this great information.
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

Hobbs5313 wrote:
CaitieD wrote:
Wade Chamberlain wrote:The Evo school is excellent....highly recommended. WDCR puts on schools too, but I've never been. BMW club does one too.
Thanks. It looks like there are no Evo classes for the rest of this year in the area. I'll have to look at other options.
If there is enough interest I'm sure Junior would put another school on. It would be late in the year. He's been really busy with the existing evo school and putting on the shootout competitions (which are awesome!). I can bring up another school at the next Autocrossers Inc meeting. He uses our equipment, safety stewards, etc for his schools.
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

03threefiftyz wrote: If there is enough interest I'm sure Junior would put another school on.
I'd be interested.
silver 681
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

Hobbs5313 wrote:Thanks for everyone's input. There's a lot of great tips! I'll definitely pay more attention and plan better when I'm walking the course. I've been thinking of signing up for an autoX driving school, especially the ones offered by Evolution. I've read great things about them. What's also cool is that Catie and Nick's red Mini JCW Cooper S is in the same SCCA class as mine (when on street tires), and they're both great drivers. There's nothing like good competition to push you to get better. :D
It's difficult at the SCCA events because of the competition but at the CDC events get people to ride with you or even drive your car. There are some very competent drivers (Larry or Mike Moran come to mind) who can give good feedback either by riding along or even just watching you out on course. Take advantage of the relaxed nature of the CDC to get ride-alongs and go watch some of the fast drivers navigate the parts of the course you are having trouble with.
Caitlin and I did the Evo school this past April. Caitlin got significantly faster. She's even been beating me lately. I didn't gain as much from the Evo school as she did but I was faster coming into it. I did learn lots of little things which give me lots to work on at events. I haven't done the other schools and the Evo school is definitely more expensive but I would bet it's worth it. It really helps to lay a good groundwork of skills for auto-x.
Apexcarver wrote:On coursewalking, make your goal to be able to sit with your eyes closed and reconstruct the course by memory. Be able to visualize the details that matter, braking points, turn-in points, lines, and what you want the car doing where. Everything. This takes time and a lot of effort.
I try to not focus too much on turn-in and braking points. In my mind they are unnecessary. If you're driving your own car or a car you drive regularly you have a pretty good idea of when you need to brake and turn in. Every time I come into a corner I'm in a slightly different place or at a slightly different speed. Your braking points are never going to be the same. I try to remember the important cones and think about how I want my car to be oriented when I pass those cones. Your mind automatically does all the mental calculation to get you there.

Also, you could pick up a co-driver who is faster than you for a few events. You get constant feedback on car setup and driving line. Take video of both and compare the videos side by side. They can chip in for tires/gas and auto-x becomes a much more affordable endeavor. If Caitlin's car wasn't setup for STX I'd be splitting Hoosiers with Mike and driving the 'vette :twisted:
--Nick D
Hobbs5313

Post by Hobbs5313 »

I like the idea of asking one of good drivers to ride with me. I'll do that at the next event. Thanks.