Last 2012 CDC autox and TNT now open for members

Parking lots and traffic cones.
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Re: Last 2012 CDC autox and TNT now open for members

Post by v10climber »

kbuva06 wrote:At the speeds we reach at Harry Grove, I'm sure this is a non-issue.

I buddy of mine autox's his mid-90's boxy jeep cherokee, and pushes it HARD at waldorf and hasn't even come close.

And last weekend at Bowie multiple large SUV's went as hard as they could and the outcome was fine.
I didn't realize there was an auto-x last weekend. Who was running it?
--Nick D
kbuva06

Post by kbuva06 »

it was the porsche club. ran at bowie. pretty decent turnout and awesome course using every square inch of that place. average time was in the high 70's i'd say. i too bad I couldn't manage a clean run :facepalm:

https://pcapotomac.org/index.php?option ... &Itemid=63
maxpeet
Car: Nissan Juke CVT AWD

Post by maxpeet »

v10climber wrote: The SCCA rulebook has a graph in section 3.1 that outlines what they consider to be an acceptable height/track width ratio for auto-x. There are a few exceptions such as the Subaru Forester which has a demonstrated sufficiently low CoG. Now CDC doesn't follow the SCCA rulebook but they're generally a pretty good reference of what other clubs in the area are doing.

What tires are you running on the Juke and is it factory suspension or has it been modified?
After thinking about it, I know I've seen other interesting vehicles like Foresters doing all types of sanctioned racing events. My Juke is 1.7in lower to the ground than those are, and definitely have a /much/ stiffer suspension setup. (Ride Height: Juke=7.0in, Forester+Outback=8.7in)

v10climber, if everything goes to plan, it'll be wearing 225/55ZR-17 gForce Sport Comp2's as I will continue to run it at other events.

Other than an intake and aforementioned tires, the car is stock. The AWD model I have comes with only a CVT and Independent Rear Suspension. The Front-Drive models have the option of CVT or a 6-speed manual and come with Multi-link Beam in the rear. All Jukes have the same Turbo 1.6 (188hp/177tq)
Seriously, it's an awesome little car. It just squats in the corners, spools up boost, splits torque to the outside wheels (with a bias towards the rear) and away we go.
konkilr
Car: 1995 SUXASS LRXTi
CDC Member#: 19

Post by konkilr »

I guarentee you the forrester still has a lower center of gravity than the juke. That was the whole point of subaru's ad campaigns. They have more ground clearance than your average SUV but are still more stable than most cars.

jake
Raceday strategy: Start slow, then back off.
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

what's the big deal? If it flips on it's side, I'm sure we'll have enough people there to flip it back. ;)
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
slipster17
Car: 2011 Ford Fiesta SES

Post by slipster17 »

I think I recall Ed saying something at the end of the event on the 27th - but the start of tomorrow will be an hour later correct? As in 9am instead of 8am?
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

Wade Chamberlain wrote:what's the big deal? If it flips on it's side, I'm sure we'll have enough people there to flip it back. ;)
yeahhhh buddy. I been workin out
silver 681
CaitieD
Car: 2010 MINI JCW Hardtop
CDC Member#: 543

Post by CaitieD »

slipster17 wrote:I think I recall Ed saying something at the end of the event on the 27th - but the start of tomorrow will be an hour later correct? As in 9am instead of 8am?
This is probably too late to be helpful, but no, start time is same as always: registration and tech from 8-8:45.
Caitlin
slipster17
Car: 2011 Ford Fiesta SES

Post by slipster17 »

CaitieD wrote:
slipster17 wrote:I think I recall Ed saying something at the end of the event on the 27th - but the start of tomorrow will be an hour later correct? As in 9am instead of 8am?
This is probably too late to be helpful, but no, start time is same as always: registration and tech from 8-8:45.
Never too late! Thanks. See you guys there in the AM.
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

Great Final Event, thank you to all the organizers for making my rookie year auto crossing so much fun and such a good learning experience. I'm already looking forward to next year!
ferris

Post by ferris »

http://youtu.be/PlyPEit_0j8

I have no idea how to embed this ...

Also, anyone get any pictures of the Volt. I would love to get high-res copies, if you have any
Sky Render
Car: 2011 Mustang 5.0
CDC Member#: 750

Post by Sky Render »

Thanks for an awesome season, everyone!
Vince (#750)
Grey 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I'm slow.
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

Good times, was fun to jump back in with CDC for the test'n'tune. We sure got a lot of odd looks having 3 drivers beat the crap out of my beater automatic convertible. Didnt help that on the first run it deployed the rollover protection system! :lol: And on the last run of the day, it decided it wanted to be more like my race car and dropped the exhaust off.
ferris

Post by ferris »

What car^^
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

D_Eclipse9916 wrote:Good times, was fun to jump back in with CDC for the test'n'tune. We sure got a lot of odd looks having 3 drivers beat the crap out of my beater automatic convertible. Didnt help that on the first run it deployed the rollover protection system! :lol: And on the last run of the day, it decided it wanted to be more like my race car and dropped the exhaust off.
Did you make it home with Rocky's super-advanced zip tie exhaust hanger mechanism?
--Nick D
D_Eclipse9916

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

^^^ This car

Unfortunately the zip ties only held about 20 miles, we then rigged up the coat hanger and "barely" made it home (basically dragging the exhaust the last mile :lol: )
Rock Star
Car: 93 Rx-7, 83 SPEC7, 70 GT6
CDC Member#: 515

Post by Rock Star »

Glad to hear you made it home without a tow though. I'll try to bring stronger zip ties next time, or at least more of them :D

Did you figure out the roll-over protection yet? Are they a one time thing and need to be replaced or can you reset them?
D_Eclipse9916

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

Rock Star wrote:Glad to hear you made it home without a tow though. I'll try to bring stronger zip ties next time, or at least more of them :D

Did you figure out the roll-over protection yet? Are they a one time thing and need to be replaced or can you reset them?
Tool that was supposed to be in the tool kit, but used car = things missing. Apparently you can use a metal ruler, so ill be doing that. Thanks again for all the help, it was good to just get it home and throw it in the garage right next to my other broken car. :lol:
kbuva06

Post by kbuva06 »

D_Eclipse9916 wrote:Good times, was fun to jump back in with CDC for the test'n'tune. We sure got a lot of odd looks having 3 drivers beat the crap out of my beater automatic convertible. Didnt help that on the first run it deployed the rollover protection system! :lol: And on the last run of the day, it decided it wanted to be more like my race car and dropped the exhaust off.

not sure how the course sunday compared to that of saturday, but people who ran both days seem to be getting similar times. that said, VERY impressive time in your automatic vert 36M. wish I coulda seen that!
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

kbuva06 wrote:

not sure how the course sunday compared to that of saturday, but people who ran both days seem to be getting similar times. that said, VERY impressive time in your automatic vert 36M. wish I coulda seen that!
Things happen in slow motion in that thing compared to the BSP Z.... :lol:
D_Eclipse9916

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

kbuva06 wrote:

Thanks, it was an exercise in patience to the utmost degree. It actually was surprisingly good for the bald tires I had on it. Kao's solstice was incredibly hard to drive after driving the 'vert. I got 3 runs in it..nothing clean, first two runs was so bad I locked it up into about 3-4 cones :lol: Got a third run and managed to only clip one :|

Wish I could have made it to the saturday one as well. Get the vert fixed and ill be out playing all next year, maybe bring out my old car, might be made fun of for bringing that car to an autox though!
Nathan Atkins

Post by Nathan Atkins »

Placed an order for a set of star specs today, now I can't wait for next season! ugh, it's so far away! I'll be sitting in the garage with them like Gollum with his precious until March
kbuva06

Post by kbuva06 »

Nathan Atkins wrote:Placed an order for a set of star specs today, now I can't wait for next season! ugh, it's so far away! I'll be sitting in the garage with them like Gollum with his precious until March

not sure what you're running now, but if its all-seasons, then you will feel a HUGE difference with star specs. Expect ~2 seconds faster on a Harry Grove course. At least that was what I experienced.

did you preorder the z2's or get the current model?
Nathan Atkins

Post by Nathan Atkins »

I got the current star specs, supposedly the Z2 wont be available until late next year. I was using a UHP summer tire(Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500) but it wasnt appreciably better than the old UHP (good year eagle GT) all seasons i was using at the start of the year. So I still anticipate at least a second, maybe two, out of these new tires. I'm hoping they make it through the whole season while performing daily driver tasks.
kbuva06

Post by kbuva06 »

they'll def last a season of autox and DD duties.

z2's actually come out in 10 weeks