Star Specs?

Parking lots and traffic cones.
accentandy
Car: 99/00 hyundai accents
CDC Member#: 397

Re: Star Specs?

Post by accentandy »

Don't worry about overall diameter unless your running out of gear or lacking power both of which I don't think you have to worry about. I think the 275/35/18 rival would be my choice for the mustang. They will fit fine on an 8 inch wheel with little bulge. In rain sessions you'll be screwed regardless of the tire your on. For tire wear and heat tolerance I think the rival will be amazing. From what I've heard they like a lot slip angle and they communicate very well. The hankooks make no noise and the star specs don't tolerate heat all that well.
Sky Render
Car: 2011 Mustang 5.0
CDC Member#: 750

Post by Sky Render »

accentandy wrote:Don't worry about overall diameter unless your running out of gear or lacking power both of which I don't think you have to worry about. I think the 275/35/18 rival would be my choice for the mustang. They will fit fine on an 8 inch wheel with little bulge. In rain sessions you'll be screwed regardless of the tire your on. For tire wear and heat tolerance I think the rival will be amazing. From what I've heard they like a lot slip angle and they communicate very well. The hankooks make no noise and the star specs don't tolerate heat all that well.
What is this "rival" tire you guys keep talking about?
Vince (#750)
Grey 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I'm slow.
accentandy

Post by accentandy »

It's the new bfgoodrich max summer tire. Another option I didn't think about is the michelin pilot super sport. They make a 265/40/18 which is closer to stock diameter. The michelin would make a lot better 3 season tire and is pretty awesome in the wet while still being good in the dry and are priced competitively in the class.
Pheonix335

Post by Pheonix335 »

accentandy wrote:It's the new bfgoodrich max summer tire. Another option I didn't think about is the michelin pilot super sport. They make a 265/40/18 which is closer to stock diameter. The michelin would make a lot better 3 season tire and is pretty awesome in the wet while still being good in the dry and are priced competitively in the class.
Car and Driver did a comparo last summer (August I believe) and the Pilot SS out performed both the RS-3 and Star Spec in the dry and wet. It would be nice to see this again this year with the new tires on the market.
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

Pheonix335 wrote:
accentandy wrote:It's the new bfgoodrich max summer tire. Another option I didn't think about is the michelin pilot super sport. They make a 265/40/18 which is closer to stock diameter. The michelin would make a lot better 3 season tire and is pretty awesome in the wet while still being good in the dry and are priced competitively in the class.
Car and Driver did a comparo last summer (August I believe) and the Pilot SS out performed both the RS-3 and Star Spec in the dry and wet. It would be nice to see this again this year with the new tires on the market.
I would read absolutely nothing into the Car and Driver Tire Test. No one, and I mean no one, runs the PSS in any ST class on the National level. If it even had the same performance as the other two, someone would run it. In fact, the only person I know that who ran them back to back with the Star Spec was over a second slower on a 30s course, and tossed 'em.

The new Rival and Z2 are, by all accounts, better than existing Z1 and RS3. BFG has made a spirited effort to regain some prior glory in both the R-comp and Extreme summer tire market.
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

03threefiftyz wrote:The new Rival and Z2 are, by all accounts, better than existing Z1 and RS3. BFG has made a spirited effort to regain some prior glory in both the R-comp and Extreme summer tire market.
They've certainly got my attention :geek:

Caitlin is going to be running the ZII on the mini next season. I've got a new set of Z1s I'll be finishing off this season and then I'll probably purchase my next tires based off SCCA National Tour wins in STU...
--Nick D
accentandy

Post by accentandy »

My buddy has been running the pilots on his Mazda 3 h stock/stf car taking top pax in his local nc scca region. Eric should clean house in stf at dixie as well if he drives to his potential. Vince doesn't need an all out dry weather tire unless he planned on running multiple sets of wheels. The pilot could be a good compromise tire. The z2 should be decent in all conditions tire and we all know the kooks suck in the wet. It hasn't been seen how the rival will do in varying conditions. I'm probably going to get some z2s in the spring to replace my aging re11s. I just think a mustang gt is just too heavy for the dunlops and will overheat when summer comes around. Stupid street tire wars why can't they make a tire that can handle summer heat but also be good in the rain and cold.
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

I picked Ian's brain about these new Rivals at the DC committee meeting. He had his laptop(of course) so I got to see videos from their tests and some very interesting and cool information on the design of these tires. Seems like a very good tire buuut I think I may be leaving the stickers on my fenders alone for the time being ;).
qtrracer
Car: 86 Mustang GT 'Vert
CDC Member#: 612

Post by qtrracer »

Interesting discussion on the Z2s; last page discusses the Rivals: http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/forumi ... readpage/1
dmyer
Car: 2007 Mini Cooper S
CDC Member#: 770

Post by dmyer »

Fascinating reading all the new tire information.... think I will hold pulling the trigger for a few more weeks!
ferris

Post by ferris »

Does anyone here actually DD this tire in the summer?

If so, how many street miles do people see?
v10climber

Post by v10climber »

ferris wrote:Does anyone here actually DD this tire in the summer?

If so, how many street miles do people see?
The original star specs? I DD on them with the STI and I think the first set I ever had (when I was just auto-xing like 4 times a year) I got like 15-18k miles out of them. Subsequent sets have seen lots lots more auto-x on them and they last me about a year. The STI doesn't get much miles put on it though since it's pretty much drive to auto-x... runs at auto-x... drive home from auto-x. So probably about 6k a year.

It really depends on the car and how many auto-x runs/track days/street miles you're going to put on them. The set we took off the mini at the end of last season had probably around 150 runs on them plus 5-6k street miles. That's about double the runs you would put on a set if you attended every CDC event and just had a single driver.
--Nick D
Sky Render

Post by Sky Render »

The tire situation has been solved. OnlineTires.com had these 220-treadwear Goodyears on sale for only $99 each.

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/veh ... sb+sp.html

They're 285s, 27" tall, and will mount on a 9.5" wheel, which I am currently shopping for. Sure, they're not the best tires out there, but they're wider and stickier than what I have now, and I know one or two guys that said they're not bad for autocross, either.
Vince (#750)

I'm slow.
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

Those tires are pretty much junk compared to the tires being discussed in here (RS3, star spec, etc)...
Sky Render

Post by Sky Render »

03threefiftyz wrote:Those tires are pretty much junk compared to the tires being discussed in here (RS3, star spec, etc)...
Yeah? Well they're better than what I have now and they're all I can afford.
Vince (#750)

I'm slow.
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

You could sell your mustang and use the money to buy my wife's miata i'm selling and a truckload of hoosier A6s :D
Sky Render

Post by Sky Render »

Tires arriving today, and I just ordered some inexpensive 18x10" wheels. :D
Nathan Atkins wrote:You could sell your mustang and use the money to buy my wife's miata i'm selling and a truckload of hoosier A6s :D
I've actually thought about a Miata track rat. Problem is, I like irresponsible amounts of torque and solid rear axles. I've been called a "cowboy" before. I guess I've been called worse.
Vince (#750)

I'm slow.
v10climber

Post by v10climber »

Sky Render wrote:Tires arriving today, and I just ordered some inexpensive 18x10" wheels. :D
Nathan Atkins wrote:You could sell your mustang and use the money to buy my wife's miata i'm selling and a truckload of hoosier A6s :D
I've actually thought about a Miata track rat. Problem is, I like irresponsible amounts of torque and solid rear axles. I've been called a "cowboy" before. I guess I've been called worse.
C5 Z06 is mo betta...
--Nick D
Nathan Atkins

Post by Nathan Atkins »

NB with LS6 is mo' mo' betta
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

You should get a daytona prototype and a trailer and a team of fire engines to pull it with. :roll: And a lift so it'll be easier to change between the two sets of daily driver tires you now have.
silver 681
Sky Render

Post by Sky Render »

Vince (#750)

I'm slow.
scheherazade
Car: 09 GTR
CDC Member#: 684

Post by scheherazade »

the rivals look good. i think i want to give them a shot.

need to grab some cheap beater rims for this season so i dont eat up my dd tyres.

-scheherazade
madrian
Car: e90 M3,NB Miata,'31 Ford
CDC Member#: 547

Post by madrian »

Lindsay and I pulled the trigger on the rivals and some shiny 6UL's for her Miata. Only trouble is that they wont ship until April... :cry: . Crappy all seaons it is for now. Mad drifts, yo.

With everything I've read about the Stang, an RE-11, RS-3, Yokahoma AD-08, etc. are all good tires, and much better if you go for a larger than stock wheel like the 9" or 10" (out of Stock for SCCA). That being said, anything that you do to get a wider tire with a lower treadwear will certainly increase the smiles, grips, and funs.

P.S. I hear ya on the torques. And the tire cost...thus why the Vette will most likely just end up as a DD this year, as I've proven it's useless to try to drive it on street tires. Next year? Hoohoos are comin' back! :D
--Mike Adrian
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

I'm taking a chance on new stuff. Got 205 Rivals on 7.5 6ULs ready to go. After a couple of years of pushing the easy button with magical R1Rs this will be an interesting experiment.
Nathan Atkins

Post by Nathan Atkins »

This is my first year on star specs (225/45/18) and they're absolutely astonishing, plenty of grips and funs as Mike said :) I'm now salivating at the thought of some A6s!