Star Specs?

Parking lots and traffic cones.
escottc
Car: 2010 VW GTI MK6 Grey
CDC Member#: 505

Re: Star Specs?

Post by escottc »

Hello everyone. Bump the thread. What "tire type" should be chosen for registration running 225/40R-18 Dunlop Direzza ZII? Thanks.
- Scott
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

street tyres
silver 681
escottc
Car: 2010 VW GTI MK6 Grey
CDC Member#: 505

Post by escottc »

Thanks Eric. Makes me wonder what racing tires are like, but I really won't need to worry about.
- Scott
ericw

Post by ericw »

Yeah, that's what I tell myself as well. :|
silver 681
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

escottc wrote:Thanks Eric. Makes me wonder what racing tires are like, but I really won't need to worry about.
They call Hoosiers "The Purple Crack" for a reason :lol:
--Nick D
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

I think I've read somewhere that the modern day "extreme performance summer" tires like the Z2 offer similar levels of grip to genuine racing tires from over a decade ago.

This brings me back to last year when I was asking Ed to create a "crap" tire class, for the more pedestrian rubber (like my wife's Prius tires on the BRZ :roll: )
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Nathan Atkins wrote:I think I've read somewhere that the modern day "extreme performance summer" tires like the Z2 offer similar levels of grip to genuine racing tires from over a decade ago.

This brings me back to last year when I was asking Ed to create a "crap" tire class, for the more pedestrian rubber (like my wife's Prius tires on the BRZ :roll: )
We're actually talking about changing the tire indexes next year. Possibly with r-compounds (with a less severe index), street tires, and all season tires (for those that never want to change tires throught the year and used for daily driving).
Sky Render
Car: 2011 Mustang 5.0
CDC Member#: 750

Post by Sky Render »

echan wrote:
Nathan Atkins wrote:I think I've read somewhere that the modern day "extreme performance summer" tires like the Z2 offer similar levels of grip to genuine racing tires from over a decade ago.

We're actually talking about changing the tire indexes next year. Possibly with r-compounds (with a less severe index), street tires, and all season tires (for those that never want to change tires throught the year and used for daily driving).
That's an interesting idea. Would the "all-season" class be based on treadwear? (For instance, my daily driver tires are "Extreme Summer" tires but have a treadwear of 300.)
Vince (#750)
Grey 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I'm slow.
Nathan Atkins

Post by Nathan Atkins »

echan wrote:We're actually talking about changing the tire indexes next year. Possibly with r-compounds (with a less severe index), street tires, and all season tires (for those that never want to change tires throught the year and used for daily driving).
8-) cool, I may yet bring the BRZed out to play!

I will say though that having now experienced driving my car on star specs, I don't think I'll ever go back to anything less! I reluctantly ride on those winferforce tires when needed. But as Mike said, good tires provide more grips, smiles, and funs.

And to Sky Render, I think just an M+S marking would do to show its an all-season. summer tires are summer tires really, might as well get an awesome set if you're going to go seasonal anyway.
scheherazade
Car: 09 GTR
CDC Member#: 684

Post by scheherazade »

InsightRacer
Car: 2011 Honda CR-Z
CDC Member#: 628

Post by InsightRacer »

echan wrote:We're actually talking about changing the tire indexes next year. Possibly with r-compounds (with a less severe index), street tires, and all season tires (for those that never want to change tires throught the year and used for daily driving).
I daily drive on the Star Spec ZIIs and change back to all seasons after the seasons over. I don't mind changing tires twice a year, just not every race.
scheherazade

Post by scheherazade »

I wonder if any of the tire rack stats (like skidpad G's, etc) could be used to come up with a relative value on a per-tyre-model basis (rather than treadwear).

-scheherazade
ericw

Post by ericw »

scheherazade wrote:I wonder if any of the tire rack stats (like skidpad G's, etc) could be used to come up with a relative value on a per-tyre-model basis (rather than treadwear).

-scheherazade
sounds like a huge PITA.
silver 681
Apexcarver

Post by Apexcarver »

ericw wrote:
scheherazade wrote:I wonder if any of the tire rack stats (like skidpad G's, etc) could be used to come up with a relative value on a per-tyre-model basis (rather than treadwear).

-scheherazade
sounds like a huge PITA.
Skidpad depends on too many variables. (vehicle, settings, surface)

Getting all that data would be difficult.

Treadwear is the easiest thing because its a mandated rating on the tires, which make it a good measuring stick without requiring independant testing.

Creating a class for 300+ sounds easiest.
(╯°□°)╯︵|> ____________________ Joseph O.
scheherazade

Post by scheherazade »

Tire rack is very consistent vehicle wise. Pretty much every test is done with a 3 series.
They do wet and dry for most tyres too.

But yeah, day to day temperature would be more of an issue.

It would be interesting to see how ratios like "Gs/1" would work out compared to the indices.
Weaker tyres that pull 0.9 would shrink your time, and stronger tyres that will pull a 1.05 would grow your time).

-scheherazade
Nathan Atkins

Post by Nathan Atkins »

Doesn't seem worth it to use the quantifiables, just have a separate class for tires marked "M+S" Job Done