Star Specs?

Parking lots and traffic cones.
Sky Render
Car: 2011 Mustang 5.0
CDC Member#: 750

Star Specs?

Post by Sky Render »

I'm shopping around for better tires for next season in the hopes I'll be able to afford some. (I will then no longer have the excuse of "My tires suck" for being slow, however.)

I've heard chatter about Dunlop making a second version of the much-venerated Star Specs. To wit, Tire Rack lists my vehicle's size on "Closeout." Does anyone have any info on this? Is there a new version of Star Specs coming out soon?
Vince (#750)
Grey 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I'm slow.
CaitieD
Car: 2010 MINI JCW Hardtop
CDC Member#: 543

Re: Star Specs?

Post by CaitieD »

I read, although can't for the life of me remember where, that the new version will be coming out in March-ish.
Caitlin
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
Sky Render

Post by Sky Render »

Thanks for the link! According to the tire size chart, the ZII won't be available in my size. Dang it!
Vince (#750)

I'm slow.
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

unless you're at a point where you feel like the car is holding you back, I'd be all over a close-out deal on the current Star Specs.
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

Wade Chamberlain wrote:unless you're at a point where you feel like the car is holding you back, I'd be all over a close-out deal on the current Star Specs.
Agreed. I've been through 3 sets of the current generation Star Specs and they're a good tire for a heavier car like yours. The Hankook RS-3 is another good one that is cheaper.
--Nick D
LaurenceC
Car: 2007, Subaru, STI
CDC Member#: 228

Post by LaurenceC »

*10000 for Star Specs
--Laurence #28 (a.k.a Bear) @20sqfab
2019 Shadow Gray, Chevrolet, Corvette
1993 Gray, Toyota, SW20 MR2 (Autocross)
1993 White, Toyota, SW20 MR2 (Time Trial)
1965 Silver, Factory Five Roadster
kbuva06

Post by kbuva06 »

z1's are on "closeout" but don't seem to actually be discounted.
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

Word on the street is TireRack won't be getting any more Z1's in stock before the Z2's get here in ~Feb. Hence why the closeout pricing is still ridiculously expensive. The Z1's, on "closeout", are $50 more per tire than when I bought them early last year. I'd wait for the Z2's. The quotes tirerack is giving to people for expected pricing on the Z2's is cheaper than the closeout prices on Z1's.

My .02.
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

yikes. I made my statement above assuming a usual level of tirerack close-out discount. If the pricing sucks, then it might pay to wait for the Z2 or keep a close eye on the closeout pricing and see if they drop it as they get closer to a changeover.
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
dmyer
Car: 2007 Mini Cooper S
CDC Member#: 770

Post by dmyer »

Thanks for the good info.... looks like a very nice selection of suitable Star Spec ZII tyres for my Mini... I will hold off until they are available this Spring!
v10climber

Post by v10climber »

Vince what size tires are you planning on running on the 'stang?
--Nick D
Sky Render

Post by Sky Render »

v10climber wrote:Vince what size tires are you planning on running on the 'stang?
Currently, I run 255/45ZR18s. That's as wide as I can go on the current 8" wheels. I was considering purchasing Z1 Star Specs in 245/45ZR18, which were slightly shorter but not by too much.

I need a tire diameter of around 27". I wanted NT05s, but I'll have to upgrade to a 9" rim. I might end up having to do that, but I'd like to get a good set of ~200 treadwear street tires to fit on my current 8" wheels for next season and then for the '14 season get a second set of wider wheels for slicks.
Vince (#750)

I'm slow.
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

If you're going to do any track driving, i would also recommend the Kumho XS. They love heat and are very durable. Because they are optimized for high temps, they may not be as great for autocross, so the star specs are still a great choice.
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
Sky Render

Post by Sky Render »

Well, Larry and Andy think I can fit 275s on my wheels, so that just opened up a TON of options.

Suggestions so far have been Kuhmo XS, Nitto NT05, and something by Bridgestone? What else should I look at?
Vince (#750)

I'm slow.
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

You're rims are 8" wide? Why not just get the 245/45/18s? It's practically 27". I've always heard if your tires are too wide for your wheels the contact patch won't be stable...???
silver 681
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

silver 681
hufflepuff

Post by hufflepuff »

Sky Render wrote:Well, Larry and Andy think I can fit 275s on my wheels, so that just opened up a TON of options.

Suggestions so far have been Kuhmo XS, Nitto NT05, and something by Bridgestone? What else should I look at?
Dunlop star specs, kumho xs, hankook rs-3, nitto nt-05, toyo r1r (may be too soft for heavy car), bridgestone re-11, yokohama ad08, falken azenis (may overheat on heavy car)...
v10climber

Post by v10climber »

Sky Render wrote:I need a tire diameter of around 27". I wanted NT05s, but I'll have to upgrade to a 9" rim. I might end up having to do that, but I'd like to get a good set of ~200 treadwear street tires to fit on my current 8" wheels for next season and then for the '14 season get a second set of wider wheels for slicks.
Are we talking like V710 slicks here or just sticky street tires? I'll go ahead and say it. Race tires are awesome... when somebody else carries them to/from events and puts them on the car you're driving :D
Sky Render wrote:Well, Larry and Andy think I can fit 275s on my wheels, so that just opened up a TON of options.

You can definitely "fit" a 275 on an 8" wide rim but it's not ideal. A stiff-walled race tires wouldn't flinch but some of the street tires have kind of a soft sidewall. You don't want to pinch them too much. Ideally you would just buy a different set of rims but that's more $$$. I would buy a set of RS-3s in 265/40/18 and spend the money you were going to spend on new rims on a Evo school or one of the SCCA drivers schools.

The NT-05s are meh, the XS are great except in the rain, the RE-11s are expensive, the star specs don't come in the proper size, the R1Rs don't come in the right size. Really I think your only options are the RS-3s or AD-08s in 265/40/18.
--Nick D
hufflepuff

Post by hufflepuff »

A lot of folks say the kumho xs is poor in the rain. i tried them in the rain at my first track day in the integra. they were good performers. i scrubbed them in at two autocrosses prior to the track day. i lapped a porsche 944 race car in a stock integra on the kumho xs in rain. maybe they suck when they are completely fresh, but after a few heat cycles they do pretty well. braking modulation and slide recovery are both predictable.

i know the car and driver tire test crapped all over them, but they seemed better in real life that what was claimed. that said, i hear the dunlop star spec is a great rain tire.
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

For what it's worth I got a set of star specs in my OEM size and they were more than a full inch wider than the 'identical' sized tires they were replacing. That being said I was going to suggest just getting the size that you were working with and don't worry about maximizing width so much, I think the superior compound will be such a leap in performance anyway, I wouldn't bother with an oversized tire until you've experienced the standard width first.
Sky Render

Post by Sky Render »

Nathan Atkins wrote:For what it's worth I got a set of star specs in my OEM size and they were more than a full inch wider than the 'identical' sized tires they were replacing. That being said I was going to suggest just getting the size that you were working with and don't worry about maximizing width so much, I think the superior compound will be such a leap in performance anyway, I wouldn't bother with an oversized tire until you've experienced the standard width first.
The Star Specs are all too short. They don't make tires big enough for muscle cars.

Regardless, some piece of crap whose daddy didn't love him enough slashed my tires, and the only thing I could afford at the time were the same, crappy Nitto NT555s, so I might be stuck with them for another year. :(
Vince (#750)

I'm slow.
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

RE-11's (and Ecsta MX XRP if you want a run flat option) are available in the 275/40/18 size, they're both over 300 each though and that's still a ~2.2% reduction

Hmmm...if it were my 'Stang I'd just get the Star Specs in 245/45/18, they're only 2.1% shorter, not that you need more torque to the wheels, but I'd view that as a positive.
Sky Render

Post by Sky Render »

phoenix335 wrote:
Sky Render wrote: The Star Specs are all too short. They don't make tires big enough for muscle cars.

Regardless, some piece of crap whose daddy didn't love him enough slashed my tires, and the only thing I could afford at the time were the same, crappy Nitto NT555s, so I might be stuck with them for another year. :(
I have a set of Hankook RS-3s that have a season on them (came off my BMW) that i'll let go for cheap cheap cheap (150 for the set). They are 245 18s and have probably another season on them. They are great tires.
Wow, really?! What is the profile size on them?
Vince (#750)

I'm slow.