Teams?

Parking lots and traffic cones.
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Teams?

Post by ericw »

In the other thread Ed mentioned how CDC has been built on suggestions. There was a "team event" thread a while back that died. I think a team series would be fun for the regular attendees and would like to re-visit that discussion to explore options/feasibility and evaluate interest.

My proposal is two-driver teams using combined raw time. You could constrain the combined index of the team to be under a certain number, whether that is twice the middle index, or twice the average index from last year or... something of that nature.

I'm not sure how much extra work this would be for the organizers but I or anyone else could easily track it in a spreadsheet post-event if CDC felt it wasn't something they wanted to handle.

Does any one have any interest or thoughts regarding such a thing? Alternative methods?
silver 681
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Re: Teams?

Post by echan »

We actually tried a have teams about 6 years ago to help build people meet each other and build friendships, but it never took off. In fact, many teams never even talked to the other team mates either during the events or outside the events.

If we can figure out how to make the team concept popular, I'm all for it.
ferris

Post by ferris »

frank and dan would dominate ...
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

Rocky and I could be "team rotard"
Rock Star
Car: 93 Rx-7, 83 SPEC7, 70 GT6
CDC Member#: 515

Post by Rock Star »

IDK Nate, Wes says he is coming back next season. We'll see who's faster :D
CaitieD
Car: 2010 MINI JCW Hardtop
CDC Member#: 543

Post by CaitieD »

Rock Star wrote:Wes says he is coming back next season.
I'll believe it when I see it... ;)
Caitlin
dscherpf
Car: 98 BMW 318ti
CDC Member#: 723

Post by dscherpf »

Sounds like a pretty cool idea.
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

ferris wrote:frank and dan would dominate ...
team danklin? :lol:
--Nick D
kbuva06

Post by kbuva06 »

dscherpf wrote:Sounds like a pretty cool idea.
team e36
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

I sense a 'silly season' developing....I'll contract to any team for 16 Million Euros per year and no more than 45 public relations days annually. I get to keep all trophies and winnings and you have to pay for my travel expenses. Have your people contact my people. :ugeek:
kbuva06

Post by kbuva06 »

phoenix335 wrote:It should be the best 4 times...each drivers best time in his/her car and the team members car.

What do you say Kamran?

in.
ericw

Post by ericw »

phoenix335 wrote:It should be the best 4 times...each drivers best time in his/her car and the team members car.
I think I understand what you suggest. This would definitely be a lot of fun but I'm not sure how many people would be willing to pay for two slots each event. If you only buy one slot and just take half of your runs in the other vehicle I'm not sure how that would affect the regular index results. Also, what would you do for a team that already co-drives together (like Dan & Frank)?

I like the idea of using more than one run for each driver - rewarding consistency.

Side note, I would love to drive some different cars next season. And anyone who wants to co-drive mine is always welcome.
silver 681
kbuva06

Post by kbuva06 »

ericw wrote: Side note, I would love to drive some different cars next season. And anyone who wants to co-drive mine is always welcome.
if i'm around i'd switch for a few runs. always fun to try other cars.
echan

Post by echan »

I guess we need to figure out the format and rules (do we combine raw times or index times, take the best times or all the times, how many people in each team, how many events to drop, etc).

If we do this, we might have to calculate by hand for the first year to see if this idea is a hit (rather than Joe writing software for something that may not pan-out).

Should we start thinking about some rules??
ericw

Post by ericw »

If we do more than two-person teams we may not end up with many teams. I was thinking raw times. In the previous team event thread people seemed to want something non-index based.

To keep teams somewhat competitive I thought of limiting the combined index multiplier of the team. If we used a cap that would basically limit two cobras or similar (say 2.10) Wade, for example, could team with anyone who had an index <= 1.023. This group includes almost 90% of the field from the last event and the fastest raw time from this group is 45.15 (Mike Moran). There were sub-46 raw times the whole way down to index of .999 8-) so...

In this case a co-driving team would be allowed if the index of the vehicle was less than 1.05.

I think important to specify the team is the pair of drivers not cars. So teammates can drive different cars at different events as long as their highest combined index at that event is less than 2.10.

I guess I propose combining the fastest two times from each driver on the team. Obviously to be competitive at an event both teammates would need to be there. Using two times from each driver would just reward consistency and, I guess, being at an event all day as opposed to morning only.

These are just my thoughts. I would love to hear other ideas from people.
silver 681
Rock Star

Post by Rock Star »

How about a Pro w/ Noob division: Every race someone with experience (year or two with CDC) has to pick one of the newbies (never autox'd before) as their running partner.

It will be scored by best cumulative finish according to standard Index rules (i.e. 5th and 33rd = 19 lowest average finish wins). To improve your chances, you are welcome to show them the right way to do a walk-through, right line to drive for their car, give them ride-alongs, take ride-alongs with them, give them tire pressure advice, or do nothing and just cheer for them.

Should make the Noob meeting more interesting as the Pros are watching and listening to try and pick out their horse :D

Oh and eric, you are welcome to try out the Spec7 anytime it is around. I'm just burning up tires on it right now.
echan

Post by echan »

Rock Star wrote:How about a Pro w/ Noob division: Every race someone with experience (year or two with CDC) has to pick one of the newbies (never autox'd before) as their running partner.

It will be scored by best cumulative finish according to standard Index rules (i.e. 5th and 33rd = 19 lowest average finish wins). To improve your chances, you are welcome to show them the right way to do a walk-through, right line to drive for their car, give them ride-alongs, take ride-alongs with them, give them tire pressure advice, or do nothing and just cheer for them.

Should make the Noob meeting more interesting as the Pros are watching and listening to try and pick out their horse :D

Oh and eric, you are welcome to try out the Spec7 anytime it is around. I'm just burning up tires on it right now.
With most Noobs only participating once or twice, I would assume you would only have the event for one event at a time rather than something that lasts the entire season with a certain number of dropped events?? What would you consider a Noob (someone that has never autox or only did it once, twice, 5 times)??

What kind of prize would we give? What if a Noob wants to be on a team but there aren't any drivers available (some events we can get 20 or 30 Noobs) - should we allow driver's to be on more than one team? Also, what are we getting into if an "experienced" driver is a terrible "instructor" and causes a dangerous environment for the Noob (e.g. pushing them more that they are comfortable or making them drive beyond their ability)? We need to make sure that safety always comes first.

Don't get me wrong. I like the Noob idea because it makes the event a lot more enjoyable for both on the team. We need to keep the event safe. As a rule, CDC Organizers has only have people that we know are responsible instructors help Noobs - not that others can't do it, but we are super conservative when having an instructor ride with a Noob.
Rock Star

Post by Rock Star »

echan wrote: With most Noobs only participating once or twice, I would assume you would only have the event for one event at a time rather than something that lasts the entire season with a certain number of dropped events?? What would you consider a Noob (someone that has never autox or only did it once, twice, 5 times)??

What kind of prize would we give? What if a Noob wants to be on a team but there aren't any drivers available (some events we can get 20 or 30 Noobs) - should we allow driver's to be on more than one team? Also, what are we getting into if an "experienced" driver is a terrible "instructor" and causes a dangerous environment for the Noob (e.g. pushing them more that they are comfortable or making them drive beyond their ability)? We need to make sure that safety always comes first.

Don't get me wrong. I like the Noob idea because it makes the event a lot more enjoyable for both on the team. We need to keep the event safe. As a rule, CDC Organizers has only have people that we know are responsible instructors help Noobs - not that others can't do it, but we are super conservative when having an instructor ride with a Noob.
Quite the opposite, I was thinking a full year series. By my definition a Noob would mean they have not done any AutoX at all, none. Therefore, every event you would need to choose a new noob. The points would only be accumulated by the "pro." Kind of more like gambling where you just pick someone and hope that they do the best out of the Noob group (But, you need to be fast as well to get the most out of your pick :)). We could even have it so that more then one pro could pick the same noob (this would quell any in-fighting about someone bringing in their own "super noob" since all can choose them).

We don't have to have the pro's "instruct" if you feel that opens things up to some safety issues. But, they could still give ride-alongs, walk-through help, driving line advice, etc to give your 'horse' the best fighting chance. (Personally though,I think most noobs would benefit from anyone with experience being in the car with them, I think they are more dangerous when they try to do it themselves, without help)

And honestly, the Noob doesn't even need to know that they are part of the team. They could just think someone is being nice and trying to help them out :lol:
ericw

Post by ericw »

phoenix335 wrote:I really think that each team member should get 3 runs in his/her car and three runs in the team members car and the best time in each car is one of the four included times for calculation purposes.
I honestly do like this idea - co-driving over an entire season, or even a handful of events, would really give us all a measuring stick so to speak...

As far as impacting the solo series I was more concerned about the software capabilities. Ed are we capable of tracking what car a person is driving for each run? Potential problem I see - a mixed team of smallbore/non-smallbore - we have no way of knowing which runs belong in smallbore competition, or which index to match to which runs for the overall.
kbuva06 wrote:if i'm around i'd switch for a few runs. always fun to try other cars.
Rock Star wrote:Oh and eric, you are welcome to try out the Spec7 anytime it is around. I'm just burning up tires on it right now.
gladly take both of you up on this sometime :D
silver 681
ferris

Post by ferris »

If my teammate is my dog, do I get a better index???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chrzpnL1OEM
ericw

Post by ericw »

ferris wrote:If my teammate is my dog, do I get a better index???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chrzpnL1OEM
... Gtfo.....

Are two dogs allowed to be teammates?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
silver 681
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

Think 4 member teams.2 members of which had to have finished in the bottom half for 2012. Scoring would be the fastest on the team combined with the fastest time of the slowest team member. A team this large with only 2 times counting on any given day would increase the chances every team would have a 'quorum' for every event. Just a thought.
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran