Camber Plates?

Parking lots and traffic cones.
Imprezive_04
Car: 99 FRC\EvoX
CDC Member#: 317

Re: Camber Plates?

Post by Imprezive_04 »

It's not voodoo so it's probably 6 of one and half a dozen of another thought depending on car one usually has better options for compatibility with both stock and 2.5" springs.

FWIW:
I had GC plates front and rear on my STi. I loved the range of adjust ability, they "added travel" and once you have them replacement bits are pretty cheap. I think their customer service is very good as long as you talk to the person who specialized in your car and you yourself are educated.

They were nosiy and for some reason liked to eat pieces of the torrington bearings, but those were replaced for under $15.
Ryan P
CaitieD
Car: 2010 MINI JCW Hardtop
CDC Member#: 543

Post by CaitieD »

So the issue with my Vorshlag camber plates was bearing failure. I sent the bearings in their carrier back to Vorshlag (at my cost) and they said "This is so strange, we have never seen this much play in a bearing that wasn't in a wrecked car. We don't know what caused it for sure, but it'll be $35 each to replace them plus $11.50 to ship them back to you", so ~$90 total including shipping both ways. Their guess as to what caused it was that the top nut that holds the camber plate to the shock was not tight enough causing some up and down movement in the bearing that got worse over time. The only way, according to Vorshlag, to get that top nut tight enough is to use an impact. Problem is, Koni says if you use an impact it voids your warranty. So it's your choice, possibly pay to repeatedly replace your camber plate bearings, but keep your shock warranty or void your shock warranty and your bearings may be ok.

Apparently this is extremely unusual (or people just don't complain about it on the internet) because I haven't been able to find anyone else that has had a problem with bearing failure in their Vorshlag plates. That being said, I personally think that if the failure was so unusual they shouldn't have charged me to fix them since their biggest selling point is the fact that their parts are of such high quality.

On the upside, turn around time on the repair was really quick and customer service at Vorshlag was very nice.

On a related note, both of my front shocks,TCKline Koni D/A, that were attached to those camber plates failed (became out of spec and lost their full range of adjustment) in that same six months of use and had to be revalved. I'm sure those two failures are related somehow but it was beyond me to figure out exactly what happened. I DD and autocross the car. I know the roads around the DMV are bad, but bad enough to cause shock and camber plate failure??

TL;DR-The bearings in both of my Vorshlag camber plates failed, they don't have a good reason why. Vorshlag fixed them quickly, but it cost me $90.
Caitlin
ferris

Post by ferris »

bad shocks could cause camber plate failure...?
dscherpf
Car: 98 BMW 318ti
CDC Member#: 723

Post by dscherpf »

Hmmm, that is unfortunate. I have TCK S/As and was wanting to get vorshlag plates at some point.

I've never read anything bad about them and vorshlag always claims their bearings are bigger (and better) than the GC/TCK/etc camber plate options.
kbuva06

Post by kbuva06 »

i have run the vorshlag plates/TCK SA for a year now with no complaints.

also keep in mind that the stack height of the vorshlag plates is notably less than the competition. this maximizes amount of suspension travel available.
kbuva06

Post by kbuva06 »

craig the 2.5inch or 60mm spring perches should be free and should be the sizes for most linear coilover springs.

oh, and add this to your cart before checking out:

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=504

8-) 8-) 8-)
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

I would get the vorshlags...

I have ground-controls, and while they are very nice camber plates, I can't get full adjustment out of them because the camber bolts stick up and hit the side of the opening in my strut tower. The vorshlags are flat, so you won't have this problem, they can go underneath it.
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

eage8 wrote:I would get the vorshlags...

I have ground-controls, and while they are very nice camber plates, I can't get full adjustment out of them because the camber bolts stick up and hit the side of the opening in my strut tower. The vorshlags are flat, so you won't have this problem, they can go underneath it.

I have GCs on the race car, but only because at the time Vorshlag didnt make a camber plate that fit my shocks. I have not had any problems with my GCs, despite the constant warnings of clunks. I wouldn't use them for a car that hit the street though. The bearings get dirt in them incredibly easy. My car only sees a trailer and the track, and I still clean them out 2x a season.