Location Suggestion

Parking lots and traffic cones.
Ross

Location Suggestion

Post by Ross »

The Porsche club holds an autocross here once a month. It's the police academy training facility in Sykesville, MD
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 8&t=h&z=16
cutaway

Re: Location Suggestion

Post by cutaway »

Wow, that place looks fantastic!
ProDarwin
Car: Who knows?
CDC Member#: 242

Post by ProDarwin »

Wow, that does look fantastic.
Travis
armitage
Car: '92 Galant VR4 / '93 RX7
CDC Member#: 0

Post by armitage »

Wow, let's do that!!

Along those lines, there's a similar police training track in Chantilly, VA but I don't know of any club that's negotiated a deal to use it so it's likely that they're not going to be nearly as receptive the idea as the one mentioned above.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... iwloc=addr
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

We haven't approached MD State Police about it so there's no telling how receptive they would be to yet another club using their facility. It's kinda moot since without additional organizer support up north it's not viable venue at this time. The Fairfax Co. training facility is definitely off-limits :(
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Kyle, I don't think support for the event would be a problem if it were an opportunity to run on a larger course. If we only had a handful of official organizers, I am sure many club members would be glad to help out. All the Morans would gladly show up early to setup and stay late to help pack up. I have heard other, trustworthy members pledge the same. It seems a shame to dismiss it entirely without giving it one, good trial run.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

BugBomb wrote:All the Morans would gladly show up early to setup and stay late to help pack up.
Thanks! I know we can count on you guys. Also, Fred K. said he'd be interested and Sean and Josh B. We just need to figure out how to make the logistics work with getting the truck up there and back. It'd be great if there was some place up there we could leave it for a few weeks until the next Harry Grove event to save on fuel costs (and effort) running back and forth to NoVa.
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

I don't think it's just a problem of having organizers and helpers show up; part of it is that the autoX trailer with all the equipment (cones, timing, tent, grilles, tables, computers, coolers, water, soda, snacks, etc) is stored in Virginina & has to be towed out to the autoX sight. In this case the sight is 70 or 80 miles away if not more.

Even if there was an organizer in SYkesville who volunteered to lead the event, that doesn't get the equipment out there. It has to be towed behind Ed's pickup truck and probably makes for a 1.5 hour tow each way. ( I don't think anybody is going to do 80 MPH on the Beltway in that truck, with that load)

EDIT: Kyle out typed me :)
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

I could keep the equipment at my house in PA (46 miles from Sykesville). We could transfer the trailer and such to my truck just for those few weeks, since it's probably a little more capable for towing. I might be able to secure a parking spot for the truck/trailer that is even closer to Sykesville and Harry Grove.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
bebemaster

Post by bebemaster »

It may be a bit far away for most current members but Waldorf recently got a new minor league baseball stadium which has a pretty good sized parking lot. Its also away from almost all residential areas so noise shouldn't be an issue. It would give us southerners a closer place to autocross as well. http://www.somdbluecrabs.com/stadium.cfm has an image of the size of the parking lot.
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

i havnt been to any of the BMWCCA events in Sykesville but i believe they use the parking lot, not that course shown in the picture. from what they mentioned at the last BMW event i went to in Bowie, they said the lot is small but there are no light poles or any ubstructions so u can probably make the course lap over without any worries.

Sykesville is a cool 20mins from me so that'd be a great location for more events :mrgreen:
bew

Post by bew »

I don't mind helping more if we were to pickup the Sykesville location, maybe I will drive by to see what it really looks like. I only live ten miles from it on 32. And yes you could probably store the trailer at my house, but I would have to ask the boss (wife).
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

I live 8 miles from Harry Grove, right off rt 70. I have plenty of secure space to store the trailer and would be happy to help. I can't pull it to Sykesville unless it's behind my trailer. Sykesville is a great venue. I also don't think their would be a problem getting the lot, they don't use it on the weekends. They have zero on course light poles, so their are alot more options when it comes to course design.
FredK
drakedeming
Car: EVO RS
CDC Member#: 666

Post by drakedeming »

I live about 5 miles from Sykesville and would be willing to store the trailer. However I have nothing to pull it with. Would have to confirm this with the wife but I am pretty sure she would be fine with it.
EvoLex
Car: Galant VR4 (796/1000)
CDC Member#: 463

Post by EvoLex »

I'm sure support will not be an issue. I'm sure there are plenty of other groups in the area that would like to get involved as well (if needed).
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

here some pictures i found online from a PCA event on the police training lot.

FamilyTruckster
Car: 89&90 Country Squire
CDC Member#: 206

Post by FamilyTruckster »

Looks like an old landfill.
Mike, the guy with the big woody wagon #206
http://youtube.com/profile?user=FamilyTruckster
FamilyTruckster
Car: 89&90 Country Squire
CDC Member#: 206

Post by FamilyTruckster »

There are 75 acres for sale in Mt.Airy. Just need a few million bucks to buy it and build a facility.
Mike, the guy with the big woody wagon #206
http://youtube.com/profile?user=FamilyTruckster