had to throw in the towel early today...

Parking lots and traffic cones.
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

had to throw in the towel early today...

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

everything was fine and dandy, got my first 3 morning runs done and parked the car and relaxed a little. went back to my car to check the tire pressure and notice something a little unusual...

yeeeahhh....wtf?! :evil: i don't know how or when it happened. my best guess would be that it hit a bit hard where the lot sinks in in the kinda in the middle, might have been to much stress and the wheel blew. i know i've put these wheels thru some major temp. changes but i wouldnt think it'd be enough to do that, esp on day like today where the pavement wasnt very hot and temp wasnt high.. luckily the tire is fine, the bead is fine and still holds air, no cracks or anything.

this is also the same wheel that the paint mysteriously flaked off a while back. looks like it could be the same spot, the crack is a little larger than the paint chip.

just ordered another one with next day shipping. gena take this wheel to work and take the tire off on monday. hopefully be able to mount/balance and repaint the new one before next sunday because i have the big WDCR race that day.

i believe my best time was a 43.00, my first run...i'm going to the T&T tomorrow, will be running my Kumho SPTs, guess i wont be beating that 43 :cry:

ill have vids up tomorrow mayber...
PGT
Car: bone stock '06 Cooper S
CDC Member#: 345

Re: had to throw in the towel early today...

Post by PGT »

what kind of wheels and what size tire? I've hit that swale hard enough to make the camber plates 'pop' on mine.....not good noises
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

15x7 Falken Hanabi's 195/50R15 RE-01R's...i looked up on Falkens website about warranty but they only cover up to a year, had these for about a year and half. i'm still going to try and call them up to let them know what happened. just want to make them aware of it. hopefully its not a mass defect or anything like that. i highly doubt that dip at such low speeds would be enough to cause the wheel to peel like that...
PGT
Car: bone stock '06 Cooper S
CDC Member#: 345

Post by PGT »

hope you get it worked out. your runs today on the A/S were better than mine on Azenis :D
bew

Post by bew »

Someone told me they thought they saw a black car catch one of the bad spots (ruts) in the asphalt in one of the turns and come up on two wheels... Might have been your car, they couldn't recall what car it was. That might help explain it.
etherpool
Car: 2004 Mini Cooper S
CDC Member#: 335

Post by etherpool »

Wow that sucks! :shock: Yea, I heard some pretty loud pops myself when I ran. Everytime I seemed to take a sweeping left I hid a pretty big dip. Nothing like that though!
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

this wheel was on my front right side. i dont recall hitting any ruts or feeling any steering wheel jerk(assuming that could have happened when hitting something). also no scratches on the tire or rim if it sunk in a rut. still a possibility but i would imagine just a slightly bent wheel at most from something like that. and yeah, i heard a lot of noises coming from a lot of cars out there lol. anyways, i sent out a long e-mail explaining everything to Falken. hopefully something will come out of it..

as for the Kumho SPT's i ran today, i'm very surprised on how they performed. first autox event i've done with them and they held up fine. seems like they need a little heat to get the most grip out of them but just a bit too much heat and they get very sloppy. best i got out of them was a 43.41, just .41 seconds slower than the RE-01Rs. BUT, i cleaned my driving up a bit and found a faster line which helped greatly. not only that but that was only 3 runs on the RE-01Rs vs. 10 on the SPT's. i think i could have gotten around a 42.8Xish with the RE-01Rs...

here my best runs.
from saturday, 43.00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N72a9-8yq-M

from test & tune
best morning, 43.58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEVJ4N_0bVg
best afternoon, 43.41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu7wmJfn514

had fun this weekend. see ya guys next time 8-)
ProDarwin
Car: Who knows?
CDC Member#: 242

Post by ProDarwin »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote: Image

just ordered another one with next day shipping. gena take this wheel to work and take the tire off on monday. hopefully be able to mount/balance and repaint the new one before next sunday because i have the big WDCR race that day.
:shock: Wow! I'm definitely going to keep an eye on the RS wheels now.

Good luck getting it ready for next week. I know I've got quite a bit to do on the Saturn before then so we can continue our STS battle.

Let us know what Falken says.
Travis