CDC 2012 Awards Lunch

Parking lots and traffic cones.
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

CDC 2012 Awards Lunch

Post by echan »

The 2012 award watches arrived. This year's watch is patterned after Dan's NB Miata Tachometer.

As normal, we will have an informal get together (no presentations or speeches or anything)and handout the watches and passes to the 2012 winners. This is also great time for anyone to bring up any new ideas (e.g. autox team idea, new indexes, etc) and to see some of CDC people.

Last year we went to Hard Times Cafe in Springfield.

Any suggestions where we should go this year? We try to keep it not too far North or South (and away from downtown DC). The ideal place would also have available parking and easy access.

Also if you plan to attend, what days WON"T work for you?

Ed
Pheonix335

Re: CDC 2012 Awards Lunch

Post by Pheonix335 »

How about Maggiano's in Tyson's corner? They have some private rooms also.
echan

Post by echan »

Pheonix335 wrote:How about Maggiano's in Tyson's corner? They have some private rooms also.
That' might be too expensive to so folks.
Pheonix335

Post by Pheonix335 »

There is a cheesecake factory and PF Chang's there as well.
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

it was fun playing pool last year. I think it's easier to socialize and interact with everybody in that kind of setting, versus a sit-down place where you talk to the folks sitting next to you and that's it.
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
echan

Post by echan »

Wade Chamberlain wrote:it was fun playing pool last year. I think it's easier to socialize and interact with everybody in that kind of setting, versus a sit-down place where you talk to the folks sitting next to you and that's it.
Hard Times was good in several respects, they let us play pool free, we could mingle, the food wasn't expensive for people, plenty of parking, and it's right off 495 in Springfield. I liked that location the best compared to the other locations we tried (Roy's, Buffalo Wings, that the BBQ Place, and long ago in Occaquan with the Triumph Club, which was way too far for everyone AND super expensive). I'm up for it again, but willing to take other suggestions.
Rock Star
Car: 93 Rx-7, 83 SPEC7, 70 GT6
CDC Member#: 515

Post by Rock Star »

I am (of course) for Hard Times again, for all of the reasons listed by Ed previously.

I do wish that there was a similar place on the Md side of DC to share the driving load for everyone. I tried Googling, but couldn't find anything worthwhile. I looked for places with billiards and the rest of the desirable list and just came up empty. Most places were too small or no parking, Dave & Busters is an option but I thought it would be too big/expensive and we wouldn't even really see each other (short of the group around the multi-person racing games). I even thought of theme restaurants that may just have a bunch of cool racing/car stuff on the walls. But still, nothing that really fit the bill. However, it did clue me in on an idea. What if we make it more of a brunch? I know everyone doesn't mind getting up early if properly motivated, so how would everyone feel about meeting up at a car show to ogle some exotics and maybe even show off their own?

If you've never heard of the Katie's Coffee meet, have a gander: http://www.secretentourage.com/events/c ... -falls-va/
Last year's thread: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/mid- ... aties.html
This year's thread: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/mid- ... aties.html

The meet is from 7am to 9am in Great Falls,Va (not too far from the beltway). I have never been, but have been wanting to go for a while. We could all meet up there for our informal Awards "Lunch" and socialize with each other over the cars. We can even try and get some of the fancy owners to come autocrossing :D. On the downside, there aren't really any restaurants in the area that are open early enough for us to go afterward. So, it would really just be the coffee shop and the parking lot (Although, it's not like we aren't used to spending time hanging out in a parking lots ;) ).

I still like the Hard Times venue better, just throwing this idea out there if you want to mix things up.
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

Looks like there are Hard Times' in Germantown, Rockville, Bethesda.... Hagerstown
silver 681
JuanDecaf
Car: '90 E30, '08 STi
CDC Member#: 630

Post by JuanDecaf »

Hard Times is good for me!

FYI, not all HT's have pool tables. I don't know anything about the MD ones, but the one in Springfield is the only VA one I know of that has pool tables and a back area to chill out.
jrgoldbach
Car: 2000 green miata
CDC Member#: 578

Post by jrgoldbach »

Is this the Hard Times in Hagerstown?

If so, that is my vote. I love that place.
Rock Star

Post by Rock Star »

JuanDecaf is spot on, Hard-Times doesn't usually have pool tables. I believe the ones in Hagerstown and Woodbridge have them as well, but they are each a little far from the city/beltway.
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

:lol: I didn't expect everyone to come to the whole way to Hagerstown, that was tongue-in-cheek. Assuming most people are from the metro area.

Anyway, the one in Germantown has pool mentioned in the Yelp reviews. The one in Rockville did not. And that's all the further I looked into it.

If I remember correctly the one in College Park does not have pool tables. But that could be gone by now since I'm getting so freaking old...
silver 681
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

ericw wrote:Looks like there are Hard Times' in Germantown, Rockville, Bethesda.... Hagerstown
And Frederick. Pool tables too. Also a big back area.
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

I'm in favor of moving the location around year to year... like somewhere in MD this year.
CaitieD
Car: 2010 MINI JCW Hardtop
CDC Member#: 543

Post by CaitieD »

Rock Star wrote: We can even try and get some of the fancy owners to come autocrossing :D.
HA good luck. It's pretty cool to see all the cars, but it's mostly old guys with their fancy cars showing them off to their buddies. I can't imagine, based on my observations, that you'll get many interested autocrossers. There's also been a few articles in the WaPo this past year mentioning it so it's blown up quite a bit from the first time we went back in late 2010/early 2011.

Anyways, the weather is supposed to be beautiful this weekend and Nick and I are planning on going. Anyone who wants to meet up is more than welcome!
Caitlin
echan

Post by echan »

CaitieD wrote:
Rock Star wrote: We can even try and get some of the fancy owners to come autocrossing :D.
HA good luck. It's pretty cool to see all the cars, but it's mostly old guys with their fancy cars showing them off to their buddies. I can't imagine, based on my observations, that you'll get many interested autocrossers. There's also been a few articles in the WaPo this past year mentioning it so it's blown up quite a bit from the first time we went back in late 2010/early 2011.

Anyways, the weather is supposed to be beautiful this weekend and Nick and I are planning on going. Anyone who wants to meet up is more than welcome!

I handed out flyers there and $10 coupons towards an event at CDC. One guy with a Lotus Cortina, another with a Bugeye Sprite, and another with a mini were all there talking about how great these cars are as racers. The moment I tried to get them to come out to autocross, they just said that they are only interested in showing their cars but not "stressing them out" at an autocross! I guess I can't blame them for not wanting to drive at the limits of the car, only to have something break.

I couple years ago I took my Jensen Healey out at Bowie, only to have an ignition problem on the way home on RT 50. Last year my Sprite had brake problems, and over the years the TR6 has broken countless times (breaking the half shaft, carb problems, fuel pump problems, brake problems, suspension set-up issues). So it does take time and money to shake out a car. If one doesn't have the desire, I can see how just driving to a show more to their liking.

The other issue is that I think they feel that they might get embarrassed that they can't drive as well as the car's ability. They just don't realize how all of us started that way and most all of us are friendly and supportive to new drivers.
Rock Star

Post by Rock Star »

CaitieD wrote: HA good luck. It's pretty cool to see all the cars, but it's mostly old guys with their fancy cars showing them off to their buddies.
This is as expected, my comment was purely joking. It is very rare that you will find a 'show' car anywhere other then a show, a garage, or in between.
echan wrote: I guess I can't blame them for not wanting to drive at the limits of the car, only to have something break.

The other issue is that I think they feel that they might get embarrassed that they can't drive as well as the car's ability. They just don't realize how all of us started that way and most all of us are friendly and supportive to new drivers.
The car wear/tear is a valid concern as well especially for the high price vehicles, but I think the second point is more of an influence for most 'show' guys. Car shows are mostly a place for bragging about your car's capabilities, not necessarily your ability to exploit them. Once you put them to task, they go from being top dog at the show to noob on course. Not a lot of egos handle that well. Even though, as you said, we just don't care and would rather help them get faster than ridicule them.
CaitieD wrote:Anyways, the weather is supposed to be beautiful this weekend and Nick and I are planning on going. Anyone who wants to meet up is more than welcome!
You might see me there. I've been wanting to show the new car, but not sure if I'm going to bring it out of hibernation for just the one day. We'll see.
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

CaitieD wrote:HA good luck. It's pretty cool to see all the cars, but it's mostly old guys with their fancy cars showing them off to their buddies. I can't imagine, based on my observations, that you'll get many interested autocrossers. There's also been a few articles in the WaPo this past year mentioning it so it's blown up quite a bit from the first time we went back in late 2010/early 2011.

IDK it's not uncommon for at least the BM Lotus guys to show up. They run SCCA events though so the CDC regulars might not recognize them. It certainly has blown up since we started going but it's a lot of fun and there are a lot of cool cars there. Most of them are "weekend toys". I think one of the reasons that the people like the C+C is because they have work/family. The cars and coffee meetup gives them an opportunity to head out on their own and chill with their buddies for a few hours before heading back to their other obligations. That's why it's so early in the morning.

Some of the conversations you overhear are pretty funny though...
Guy 1: Oh I see you brought your Ferrari. What happened to the Bentley?
Guy 2: Oh the Bentley was on the lift and I had the Porsche and the Rolls behind it so I just decided to bring the Ferrari.
:shock:

Anyways Caitlin and I are a confirmed go for cars and coffee this weekend. Sounds like Jason and Jeff might join us too. We'll probably be there in the mini since it takes less time to wash :lol:
--Nick D
charles huffman
Car: '98 Neon
CDC Member#: 531

Post by charles huffman »

"The other issue is that I think they feel that they might get embarrassed that they can't drive as well as the car's ability. They just don't realize how all of us started that way and most all of us are friendly and supportive to new drivers."

That's why I drive a Neon! Anybody see me walking AND chewing gum?

Seriously, last year's award at the Hard Times was very fun. My son Matt, his girl friend Casey, Duffy and I shot pool, eat, drank and had fun. If we choose Hard Times again, another location as long as it has pool tables too would work.

Ed,

Thanks for working to set it up.

Charles
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

scca rallycross did a meet at allsports for some indoor karting followed with dinner at red robbins. whaddaya guys think of something like that. for those who would like to go karting, we can do that around 10 or 11ish and then head over for lunch at one of the many restaurants close by.
konkilr
Car: 1995 SUXASS LRXTi
CDC Member#: 19

Post by konkilr »

Did we give up on having this?

jake
Raceday strategy: Start slow, then back off.
echan

Post by echan »

konkilr wrote:Did we give up on having this?

jake
I didn't hear any other suggestions to the allsports idea. I'm open to the idea or at Hard Times. Anyone else have a preference? I suppose we just need to make a decision soon, before we run into the next season.
jrgoldbach

Post by jrgoldbach »

Open for just about any venue... I am starting to miss you all. :cry:
echan

Post by echan »

I think the issue with Allsports is that only some would be interested in karting and Chantilly isn't very central.

How about we just keep it simple at the same place as last year at Hard Times in Springfield? I figure Superbowl weekend would be bad. How about Saturday February 9th at 12 noon?
jrgoldbach

Post by jrgoldbach »

I second this motion...