July 20th Test & Tune at Harry Grove

Parking lots and traffic cones.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

July 20th Test & Tune at Harry Grove

Post by BugBomb »

So, if this T&T is being changed to a regular event format, why not make it an official competition event? The schedule seems a little short on those anyway...
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
armitage
Car: '92 Galant VR4 / '93 RX7
CDC Member#: 0

Re: July 20th Test & Tune at Harry Grove

Post by armitage »

+1 - I would like to see this be a scored event if it's going to be run like a normal autox anyway. Would doing so adversely affect other competitors who had not planned on/made time for this date?
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

I think two weeks notice for a scored event isn't enough. I know a bunch of us are already registered and paid for the AI event at Fed Ex that day. I even had planned to have some far away friends come over for dinner the 19th after the autocross, that's off now.
FredK
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

True, I didn't know there were conflicting events. Maybe the attendance won't even be much higher than a regular T&T.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

To be honest, I was afraid that if we made it a regular points event, we would have too much demand and have to turn away too many or our members. Typically, the events would have real light attendance in June thru August. We even tried to drum up participation this time last year. For some werid reason, our field fills up quickly and even with the threat of rain, we still have a decent field.

For the last two years, we've operated with the thought that Bowie can handle a larger field than Harry Grove. However, Harry Grove can spread the participants out over Saturday and Sunday. This seemed to work well over the last two years and the TNT has become a popular event.

With the next event on Sunday and no Saturday at Harry Grove, I fear that we will get over-booked. I figure that if we didn't make it a points event, some of the serious competitors may not care about going as much. In addition, I can see some getting upset that they can't participate then complain that they lost a certain number of points. It never ceases to amaze me how competitive some of us have become!

In any case, I figured we would just make this a normal autox but with no points to help keep the field small.
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

Fun event today, just sooo hot

40.06 was my best. Every other run was a no time or off course
Hobbs5313
Car: 05 S2000(sold); 2011 328i
CDC Member#: 306

Post by Hobbs5313 »

A little hot today, but it was fun. I can't believe it. Two FTD's in a row (test and tunes). I'll have to play the lotto this week. :D
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

Nice going.

I made 39.2 in the AM, but went slower (39.4) in the PM. Oh yeah, then Francois broke my fog light :lol:
I took a bunch of pictures. Will try to post the ones that turned out well.
bellykat
Car: FFR Cobra Replica
CDC Member#: 139

Post by bellykat »

40.54 meh...

But I got to see what the daily driver could do since I broke SUXASS, which coincidentally came out of surgery a few hours ago. Woo!
"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary - that's what gets you."
J. Clarkson
FamilyTruckster
Car: 89&90 Country Squire
CDC Member#: 206

Post by FamilyTruckster »

Great time today! Really happy with my 40.10, but the one cone I took out sucked. Surprisingly it seems like I figured out how to take the sweepers a bit better. I'll try to get my vids up tomorrow afternoon.

and man I got some nice sunburn!
Mike, the guy with the big woody wagon #206
http://youtube.com/profile?user=FamilyTruckster
The_Bishop
Car: '08 E.R.A FIA / '04 STi
CDC Member#: 316

Post by The_Bishop »

I had a blast too.. Especially my last run in the PM which brought me down in the 38's. Not sure the time as I'm tired...little burnt, too. :oops: Nothing like a set of A6 r-comps to make up for a lack of skill!! HA!

Truckster: really enjoyed seeing folks hopping in and out of the back seat of the Country Squire.. :D

Also enjoyed seeing the 190E 2.3-16 there, too.

Hope we can get another event or two at HG before season's end!

Cheers!

- Allen (mag blue lotus elise)
cutaway

Post by cutaway »

FamilyTruckster wrote:Great time today! Really happy with my 40.10, but the one cone I took out sucked. Surprisingly it seems like I figured out how to take the sweepers a bit better. I'll try to get my vids up tomorrow afternoon.

and man I got some nice sunburn!
Can't wait to see the videos. When you said you would like to see more outside videos of the truckster, I couldn't agree more. That thing looks freakin awesome, swinging its backend out around the turns.
Gonz

Post by Gonz »

I posted some pics: http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t191 ... 20%202008/

Blue Lotus

The Griswalds..... I mean Family Truckster:

Ted & Dennise's 190:

Mr. FTD:
Gonz

Post by Gonz »

some nice pony cars:

TubeDriver

Post by TubeDriver »

Fun event but way too hot and I never could hit the course the way I wanted. 37.95 was my best time. This is only my 3-4 autoX of the season due to all the scheduling conflicts with HPDEs. I will finally probably will get some suspension mods (coilovers) so I can get additional front camber, I am sick of cording front tires after ~6 events. :shock:
Tie your shoes, Drive your car, Love your girl!
--
WideSpread Panic
cutaway

Post by cutaway »

Sunday was fun.

I noticed a loss of grip in the afternoon. At first I thought it was because of the heat. It turns out that when I get The G's up on the car I am forcing powersteeing fluid out of the breather hole on my power steering resevour on the Noble. It then spatters onto my right rear wheel.

This explains why I was getting some serioous oversteer in the afternoon.

Here is a link to some pictures showing the power steering fluid on the clam...

http://www.nobleforums.com/showthread.php?t=3740

Here is a link to a video showing me dealing with the power steering fluid on the rear wheel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5jxGEKyLvM&fmt=18

LOL I still managed to get a 41.21 on that run with no cones...
FamilyTruckster

Great pics!! Loved all the old muscle and the 16V Merc.

Chris, amusingly I had the same problem with my wagon! Lucklily mine just dumped fluid all over the engine compartment. I was overheating it and mine was a tad overfilled. I used the stock trans cooler for the PS, and ran a tad less fluid in it.

Only a 37.95!?!? :roll: :mrgreen:

If I had another run or two I might have been able to get a 39 out of the wagon. I was VERY happy to get into the 40's. Ted ran the stock 190 to a 40.10 also, but he got through it clean.
jimk351c
Car: 1970 Mercury Cougar
CDC Member#: 329

Post by jimk351c »

Thanks all for the warm reception. This was my second CDC autocross and I had a terrific time!
Jim Karamanis
1970 Mercury Cougar Open Track & Autocross
1972 Ford Pinto B-Sedan Vintage Road Racer
http://elbracing.com
accentandy
Car: 99/00 hyundai accents
CDC Member#: 397

Post by accentandy »

yes boy was it hot
not much better today unfortunately
couldn't get grip morning or afternoon, i picked up the pace in the afternoon though 40.48 was my best
not too shabby for some 3 year old v710s and blown shocks, i'm happy to just keep up with you guys in the accent
hopefully we can get some more harry grove events this season, its so nice being able to drive 10 minutes to go autox
it was nice seeing everyone again, doesn't look like i'll be able to make any of the saturday events because of work but hopefully we will get some more test and tunes on sundays.

I uploaded a crapload of pics on the cdc flickr page so go check them out, got some good ones of the familytruckster but didn't get the camera out till the afternoon so I missed the merc and ford guys.

I got sunburn as well don't forget your aloe
ButtDyno
Car: 2006 Evo MR | 1999 ///M3
CDC Member#: 199

Post by ButtDyno »

Gonz wrote:Image
Blue Lotus
:eek: I can has alignment?
Autocross. Serious business.
project:BDR
Unofficial CDC PAX Results page
Tim.R

Post by Tim.R »

Yea, that was one hot way to spend the day, but I still had a great time. We've been trying to gather up some interest with some of the vintage cars. Hopefully, we can get a couple more out to the next Test and Tune. I know I had a great time and really appreciate the CDC.

Also Gonz - some great pictures! I especially like the picture of the guys taking pictures of Carson's blue '65 fastback.

If anyone else has any good pictures or video of any of the vintage cars, please send me a PM.

Thanks,
Tim
nhat

Post by nhat »

does anybody have a list of times? i would guess no since this was just a test & tune.

and does anybody else have pics?! i don't see my car :(
FamilyTruckster

Got my last vids up. This one is a few of the runs of the old muscle.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6R1v-W7RzI
Tim.R

Post by Tim.R »

FamilyTruckster wrote:Got my last vids up. This one is a few of the runs of the old muscle.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6R1v-W7RzI
Mike,
Great video, thanks for posting! Is it OK for me to post a link on another site? Of course, I can't be obligated to tell the other site that every Muscle car that entered got bested by a station wagon, by at least 2 seconds. :o

Tim
FamilyTruckster

Yeah, no problem. That's why I post em on youtube!