FRS/BRZ Series??

Parking lots and traffic cones.
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Re: FRS/BRZ Series??

Post by Nathan Atkins »

echan wrote: why not allow British cars (and Caitlin)?
Ed, I was joking about how the whole point was to create a class that explicitly excludes Caitlin. My listed attributes were all for her car! :D

We could call it the "not Caitlin, and if eventually proven unbeatable, not Fred either" class
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

It's fairly easy to duplicate the smallbore class in the software and in the results. It just makes the results page a little bigger with at least one extra column. The tough part is agreeing on what is allowed into the class.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
Areddi
Car: 2013 Scion FR-S
CDC Member#: 650

Post by Areddi »

So Ed, we have some buy in across the boards on how this should be structured. I think at this time, Spec 86(name pending) would only allow for Twins, but in the future could be reworked to accommodate other cars of a similar type if the club deems it appropriate. Revised proposal for a small-bore equivalent series for CDC events:

Spec 86
Cars allowed: Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ
Power modifications: No Forced Induction/Engine swaps, otherwise no restriction
Tires: Street Tires only
All other modifications: No restriction

From polling the crowd, this will be the most fair thing for everyone, and of course it can be expanded in the future should that be required. Let's clarify that this will not cause a large amount of additional work for the organizers, cause if it will, no one wants to bring it to fruition. You guys work so hard already, and something like this shouldn't make your jobs any tougher.
Check out my YouTube channel with Autocross videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAreddi
Silver_Surfer
Car: 2006 Exige
CDC Member#: 682

Post by Silver_Surfer »

Areddi wrote:So Ed, we have some buy in across the boards on how this should be structured. I think at this time, Spec 86(name pending) would only allow for Twins, but in the future could be reworked to accommodate other cars of a similar type if the club deems it appropriate. Revised proposal for a small-bore equivalent series for CDC events:

Spec 86
Cars allowed: Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ
Power modifications: No Forced Induction/Engine swaps, otherwise no restriction
Tires: Street Tires only
All other modifications: No restriction

From polling the crowd, this will be the most fair thing for everyone, and of course it can be expanded in the future should that be required. Let's clarify that this will not cause a large amount of additional work for the organizers, cause if it will, no one wants to bring it to fruition. You guys work so hard already, and something like this shouldn't make your jobs any tougher.
I think this is the best option! It would be fun to watch and see how the cars are comparing with each owner's driving style and mods.
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

Great, lets get a jump on this and start it from the last event!
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

Walka wrote:It could be a toyota RWD class. That would be fine with me.

Just saying...
;-) :lol:
--Nick D
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

^---is doing an STX car next. May have to run a few CDC events if they adapt something similar to STX rule set.
Sky Render
Car: 2011 Mustang 5.0
CDC Member#: 750

Post by Sky Render »

You definitely shouldn't use the SCCA STX class. Because then my Mustang would be in it. And that wouldn't be fair, because all of the Toyobarus would beat me.
Vince (#750)
Grey 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I'm slow.
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

Sky Render wrote:You definitely shouldn't use the SCCA STX class. Because then my Mustang would be in it. And that wouldn't be fair, because all of the Toyobarus would beat me.
Only if you have 9" or narrower wheels and max 265mm tires...
Sky Render
Car: 2011 Mustang 5.0
CDC Member#: 750

Post by Sky Render »

03threefiftyz wrote:
Sky Render wrote:You definitely shouldn't use the SCCA STX class. Because then my Mustang would be in it. And that wouldn't be fair, because all of the Toyobarus would beat me.
Only if you have 9" or narrower wheels and max 265mm tires...
My street wheel/tire setup is 18x8s with 255s. I run 285s at most autocrosses because I just don't give a crap about SCCA classing. Also, I'm slow and won't be competitive regardless of what class I'm in.
Vince (#750)
Grey 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I'm slow.
Walka
Car: 1991 Toyota MR2
CDC Member#: 0

Post by Walka »

This is a slippery slope for a club. First you dont like SCCA rules and you try to stay away and make it "funner". Then certain people want a class to have fun with each other. Then another group, then another. Soon you have tons of classes and rules that people agree on. Then a committee is appointed to set the different classes. Then a DCD club shows up saying they dont like CDC classing and that they want it to be fun. lol
dmyer
Car: 2007 Mini Cooper S
CDC Member#: 770

Post by dmyer »

Evolve...... :mrgreen:
FredK

Post by FredK »

Walka wrote:This is a slippery slope for a club. First you dont like SCCA rules and you try to stay away and make it "funner". Then certain people want a class to have fun with each other. Then another group, then another. Soon you have tons of classes and rules that people agree on. Then a committee is appointed to set the different classes. Then a DCD club shows up saying they dont like CDC classing and that they want it to be fun. lol

Given the number of twins coming out I think it is a good idea. CDC is all about fun, if anyone starts stressing about classes or group they will address it. It seems like a new group of excited people who just want to have some fun amongst their group, a big group, is good. BTW, these cars are fun, but not real competitive within their class.
Fred
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

hmmm, clearly Rocky and I's epic bout in the rotary cup went unnoticed last year :D
Areddi

Post by Areddi »

Nathan Atkins wrote:hmmm, clearly Rocky and I's epic bout in the rotary cup went unnoticed last year :D
More Wankel propoganda! The only class your car should be involved in Nate is geometry, we'll play counting triangles!

Anyway, I am with Fred, it'l get dealt with if things get put of hand. Ed, where do we go from here?
Check out my YouTube channel with Autocross videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAreddi
v10climber

Post by v10climber »

Areddi wrote:Anyway, I am with Fred, it'l get dealt with if things get put of hand. Ed, where do we go from here?
I know there has been a lot of energy in this thread but this isn't something that is going to be implemented overnight. We've got a separate thread in the Organizer forum to discuss the best way to address this "member comment" and the desire for a class for the twins.
--Nick D
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

v10climber wrote:
Areddi wrote:Anyway, I am with Fred, it'l get dealt with if things get put of hand. Ed, where do we go from here?
I know there has been a lot of energy in this thread but this isn't something that is going to be implemented overnight. We've got a separate thread in the Organizer forum to discuss the best way to address this "member comment" and the desire for a class for the twins.
We (the organizers) are in the discussion phase and am looking at all the suggestions. If we add another series/class, we would implement it starting with the 2014 season. During this time, we can review the results along with the relative times as the FRS/BRZ starts to mature with suspension and tire mods. There's a lot of Pro and Cons that we have to weigh.

Until then, feel free to track each other's placement with each other (including or not including vehicles similar to the FRS/BRZ).
Areddi

Post by Areddi »

echan wrote:
v10climber wrote:
We (the organizers) are in the discussion phase and am looking at all the suggestions. If we add another series/class, we would implement it starting with the 2014 season. During this time, we can review the results along with the relative times as the FRS/BRZ starts to mature with suspension and tire mods. There's a lot of Pro and Cons that we have to weigh.

Until then, feel free to track each other's placement with each other (including or not including vehicles similar to the FRS/BRZ).
Sounds good
Areddi

Post by Areddi »

echan wrote:
v10climber wrote:

Sounds good
FredK

Post by FredK »

What! not 'till next year!! According to the FR-S/ BRZ kids I'm already too old.
echan
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

FredK wrote:What! not 'till next year!! According to the FR-S/ BRZ kids I'm already too old.
There's nothing stopping anyone from copying the spread sheet form each event, then deleting the cars that they don't think fit in the series (or only list the FRS/BRZ cars).

The only difference is that we won't give out a prize this year. Just out of fairness, all of our series have started at the begining of the season. We just started this discussion, and wanted comments. We still need time and data on how these cars perform relative to the various other cars.
v10climber

Post by v10climber »

echan wrote:We still need time and data on how these cars perform relative to the various other cars.
So what you're saying is we need one person to drive all the cars and figure out how they perform relative to each other. I'll volunteer! :lol:
--Nick D
Walka
Car: 1991 Toyota MR2
CDC Member#: 0

Post by Walka »

Ed you have a good point.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... alse&gid=2

I am doing well in my class so far! I really have a shot at the title!!!
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

FredK wrote:What! not 'till next year!! According to the FR-S/ BRZ kids I'm already too old.
I heard they're actually going to propose an age limit for the spec class so they can compete among themselves and not worry about getting stomped.
silver 681
JoeTR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

There are certainly other cars that *could* compete against the FRS/BRZ. I like the idea of a 4-seat, 4 cylinder (or 2 rotor) sport coupe class. This could include 944s, 240SX, RX-8 for RWD only examples. So long as we don't allow turbos, engine swaps, or gutted interiors, it should stay pretty fair.

As for the TR6, it can compete in the new "Rust" series. This includes any car that rusts faster than you can weld. Richard's Morgan is inelegible, but is free to compete in the "Termite" class with Woody wagons.