PAX Results

Parking lots and traffic cones.
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Re: PAX Results

Post by v10climber »

Nathan Atkins wrote:Heh, right so we can gawk at how "serious" they are. Kind of puts me in mind of the crazed little league father who says things like "hey that kid's birthday is prior to September 30th! He should be in the 8-10 age group! This is outrageous!" As all the other parents look on with a raised eyebrow and think "are you for real? Get a grip and just try to have fun man!"

If they want to run with CDC of course we'll all welcome them, but knowing how badly they stomped all over the casual autocrossers that most of us are is something they can figure out for themselves.
I won't really go into it but will just say that I agree with AJ and Mike. I would guess you haven't been running with SCCA very long because once you get to know people (just like at CDC) they're really a lot of fun. There are always going to be SRSBZNS autocrossers that aren't having fun unless they're winning but they exist at all auto-x clubs. Because the SCCA has such a huge group of people involved you get all kinds of people coming out. The core group of SCCA guys may not seem very approachable but they're mostly really nice guys. It's like many things in that the people that do it all the time are all very close friends because they see each other all the time. Auto-x has a very large transient group of people involved in it who come to maybe one or two events a year. I'm sorry but if I only see you twice a year I'm just not going to remember your name or probably even recognize you. If you run with them regularly (like Caitlin and I have over the past year) people quickly start to recognize you and say "hi" and chat with you. I've met a bunch of nice people at SCCA and local events are always fun and national level events even more so.

In regards to sticking to the rules... If you run at the pointy end of auto-x you have to follow the rules. If you get nailed at a big event for not following the rulebook to the letter I have absolutely 100% zero sympathy for you. If that parent's kid is competing for the Little League world championship (yes there is such a thing) then they better be in the correct age group. The rulebook is posted online for everyone to see and you can write letters to ask for clarification. There is no excuse for cheating. Local SCCA events are much more relaxed and if you were running a class-illegal modification (not an obvious one) than people probably wouldn't notice/care unless you were winning. But if you're winning chances are you auto-x a lot. And if you auto-x a lot chances are you're friends with all the people in the class you're running against. And if you're beating your friends because you're cheating than you're just being a dick.
--Nick D
Areddi
Car: 2013 Scion FR-S
CDC Member#: 650

Post by Areddi »

So I think the take-away here for everyone is should the club evolve to include some additional things, or should it remain static? My thoughts are that if you do not affect the core of what makes something what it is, but can add on top, then go for it. Worst case it doesn't work and you just remove it. I say look past the fear of slippery slopes and see if it will help enhance the time that everyone has, without hurting the core.

Nick's comments are good ones, and I have found SCCA people to all be really cool now that I am getting to know them.
Check out my YouTube channel with Autocross videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAreddi
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

I completely agree with Nick's comments there. A lot if folks that don't run with SCCA see it very differently. Perhaps they take a look at the massive rulebook and then assume that everything is going to be so strict, and that isn't really the case at local events.

This thread has had some interesting tangents that I would like to address. We aren't looking to change the CDC index significantly. We might consider some adjustments before next year like trying to balance out the tire index but that would likely be it. We have considered things like variable index for weight and power but it quickly complicates things further and it still leaves out suspension types/mods. It is possible to choose the best car and mods to exploit the CDC index but 95% of our participants are not going to care about that. All that being said, if anyone (organizer or participant) comes up with a better system that keeps things simple, we will certainly consider it.

To say that CDC is considering adding classes is a bit of an overstatement. We are very hesitant to add a class specifically for the FRSBRZ unless the participation is staggering. We would rather the FRSBRZ club do the same thing that all the other clubs do: manage their own series. The cobra club is (was) a great example. When they had the participation numbers, they created their own spreadsheet, tracked their members results, and awarded their own points for participating at auto-xes, but there was no involvement from the organizations holding the events.

Although we hope the addition of PAX results to our events will attract more people, I wouldn't say that is the main drive for incorporating it as an optional index. I am the only organizer that is really pushing to add this, but I am also currently the only organizer that handles the results. I know exactly how easy it will be for us to do, and I like having more ways for people to look at the results, especially when it is open for anyone to participate.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
Silver_Surfer
Car: 2006 Exige
CDC Member#: 682

Post by Silver_Surfer »

If they are only proposing another column to look at, I don't see the big deal? It won't effect standings or points right? Am I missing something? :?:
CaitieD
Car: 2010 MINI JCW Hardtop
CDC Member#: 543

Post by CaitieD »

BugBomb wrote:I am the only organizer that is really pushing to add this, but I am also currently the only organizer that handles the results.
You're not the only organizer wanting this (granted I haven't been vocal about it). I think it's a great idea, I would love to see some PAX results at CDC events if only for reference. I usually end up doing some math and applying pax to the top few people at the end of the events anyways just to see where I would have ended up. Especially since CDC pax isn't entirely favorable for my car although I'm sure there's people out there that have it worse than me.
Silver_Surfer wrote:If they are only proposing another column to look at, I don't see the big deal? It won't effect standings or points right? Am I missing something? :?:
You're right. This won't be for points/standings/awards, it'll just be another spreadsheet column that the people who care about their PAX results can look at and see how they're doing. You're not missing anything at all.
Caitlin
Apexcarver

Post by Apexcarver »

OK, there are a lot of people who have a knee-jerk reaction to SCCA and like CDC because it is not SCCA.

A good number of us who run have built our cars towards an SCCA class, it makes sense for a good number of us.

There are a number of people who run a much larger range of events than CDC who utilize CDC events as seat time.

I can name a number of people who do exactly this.

Giving the option to identify the car classification (not a new class, trophied or otherwise rewarded) meerly allows a comparision tool for those drivers who are using the events as a training tool.

I am sure that most of the people who fit the discription above already do the computation on their own anyways when they have the information on each others cars.

Allowing this is a win, the only cost is another drop down option on registration.

I say go for it.
(╯°□°)╯︵|> ____________________ Joseph O.
Silver_Surfer

Post by Silver_Surfer »

CaitieD wrote:
BugBomb wrote:I am the only organizer that is really pushing to add this, but I am also currently the only organizer that handles the results.
You're not the only organizer wanting this (granted I haven't been vocal about it). I think it's a great idea, I would love to see some PAX results at CDC events if only for reference. I usually end up doing some math and applying pax to the top few people at the end of the events anyways just to see where I would have ended up. Especially since CDC pax isn't entirely favorable for my car although I'm sure there's people out there that have it worse than me.
Silver_Surfer wrote:If they are only proposing another column to look at, I don't see the big deal? It won't effect standings or points right? Am I missing something? :?:
You're right. This won't be for points/standings/awards, it'll just be another spreadsheet column that the people who care about their PAX results can look at and see how they're doing. You're not missing anything at all.
Sounds good to me then, is there such thing as too much information?
scheherazade
Car: 09 GTR
CDC Member#: 684

Post by scheherazade »

Can't have too much info.

This is why I was saying all of this stuff should be rolled into a 'results search/filter' function on the web site.

Just select the check boxes you want, and see how you did within that filter.

Check 'raw time' + 'street tyre' to get a list of raw times for all people on street tyres.
Check 'index time' + 'points' to get a list of index times and index points, along with index point totals for the season
Check 'PAX time' + 'points' to get a list of pax times and pax points, along with pax point totals for the season
Check 'index time' + 'points' + 'car:BRZ' + 'car:FRS' to get a list of index times and index points, along with index point totals for the season, only among BRZ/FRS drivers.

You can basically 'create your own class' by selecting the attributes you want.
S2000 guys can see how they do amongst s2000's, etc.

Plus there would be analytical advantages.
You could run the numbers for 'street tyre average delay vs FTD', and 'slick tyre average delay vs FTD', and figure out a multiplier that would 'zero' the field based on CDC performance data from CDC venues.

-scheherazade
Areddi
Car: 2013 Scion FR-S
CDC Member#: 650

Post by Areddi »

scheherazade wrote:Can't have too much info.

This is why I was saying all of this stuff should be rolled into a 'results search/filter' function on the web site.

Check 'raw time' + 'street tyre' to get a list of raw times for all people on street tyres.
Check 'index time' + 'points' to get a list of index times and index points, along with index point totals for the season
Check 'PAX time' + 'points' to get a list of pax times and pax points, along with pax point totals for the season
Check 'index time' + 'points' + 'car:BRZ' + 'car:FRS' to get a list of index times and index points, along with index point totals for the season, only among BRZ/FRS drivers.

You could run the numbers for 'street tyre average delay vs FTD', and 'slick tyre average delay vs FTD', and figure out a multiplier that would 'zero' the field based on CDC performance data from CDC venues.

-scheherazade
Love this. I know a guy who could help with the Excel stuff.
Check out my YouTube channel with Autocross videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAreddi
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

I say just scrap all the index stuff...and just acknowledge FTD.

:o
scheherazade

Post by scheherazade »

Areddi wrote:
Love this. I know a guy who could help with the Excel stuff.
If we have the source for the timing program, it could just spit out a *.CSV with all the relevant attributes. I could add that any time.

On the web site back end, parsing a CSV into an object, and supporting query functions to get sub-tables from the main tables, is pretty easy. I could whip that up in whatever language the web maintainer prefers.

But I have no web development experience (I only do application programming and embedded), so I can't integrate it into the website (well, I probably could, but we'd all be better off if I didn't...)

-scheherazade
JoeTR6
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

scheherazade wrote:If we have the source for the timing program, it could just spit out a *.CSV with all the relevant attributes.
I wrote our timing system, so we definitely have the source code. That's pretty much what we do. We can produce a *.CSV file at the event, and Mike checks it, does the season points, and exports to Google docs. It's pretty streamlined compared to a few years ago. We actually did put in a PAX index originally, but nobody entered it at registration and it never really got used.

One of the reasons I like the idea of PAX for comparison is it's another check of how well CDC's index is doing. If we're giving some weight/tire/hp class too much/little multiplier, this could help tune that or at least indicate there's an issue. Overall, I think CDC's index system works OK with occasional tweaking (such as the possible R-comp index adjustment).
scheherazade

Post by scheherazade »

The points are done manually right now?

-scheherazade
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

I digress, and welcome the idea of adding the scca style pax to the spreadsheet. Apologies for my knee jerk reaction, I haven't lost sight of the fact that I'm little more than a rookie at this, sorry for getting uppity. :oops:
Silver_Surfer

Post by Silver_Surfer »

-scheherazade
This is a great idea!
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Yes, the points are done manually and I will tell you why. Feel free to tell me if I am doing something dumb.

Every event usually needs some revisions. Someone forgot to enter the right index or whatever. If I do those revisions in the timing software and export the CSV again, Google docs loses all my formatting on the results. I usually have to adjust decimal places, change some background colors on cells, change justification, etc. It becomes much more work than just modifying the data when a revision is required. Although it would save a tiny bit of time to have the points done initially, it does not take me more than a couple minutes to enter the points in manually.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
yardy8301
Car: 90 Miata
CDC Member#: 338

Post by yardy8301 »

-scheherazade
All we would need is the registration table linking member number to tire/weight/hp selection. all the other stuff is included in the results already. It is sometimes a bit difficult to identify different vehicle for filtering because of free formed text. For the br-z/fr-s group, i just look for 2012/2013 cars, then discard the ones that arent a match. For miata I use contains miata or mx?? then remove potential mis-matches (mx-6, mx-3).

+1 for more data points. How each person use it is up to them. Of course it will be only a matter of time before some crazy irrationale use of these numbers pop up, but you cant stop that.
scheherazade

Post by scheherazade »

BugBomb wrote:Yes, the points are done manually and I will tell you why. Feel free to tell me if I am doing something dumb.

Every event usually needs some revisions. Someone forgot to enter the right index or whatever. If I do those revisions in the timing software and export the CSV again, Google docs loses all my formatting on the results. I usually have to adjust decimal places, change some background colors on cells, change justification, etc. It becomes much more work than just modifying the data when a revision is required. Although it would save a tiny bit of time to have the points done initially, it does not take me more than a couple minutes to enter the points in manually.
Your approach seems like the path of least resistance for your given tool chain.
If you're sticking with google docs, I'd leave it alone, unless you are unsatisfied with what you've got.

That said, you're embedding google docs into the web site, which ultimately (end user wise) provides you with a table.
You could also just embed another html file into the web page that would provide you with a table.

That embedded html file could be the output of a process (executable) that you run on the CSV files.
The program that collates the CSVs and outputs the html can be made to generate a consistent formatting of your liking.
That way you can edit the CSV files, and then 're generate' the html file, any time without formatting losses.

The section below describes a solution for generating embedded html for web page use.

Code: Select all

I can't provide specific critique because I'm not aware of the particulars of how the keys/values are formatted, but I would in general do this :

- Ensure that each run has a UTC time stamp (which would be snapped to the closest EST date, for automatic 'event date' finding, regardless of file name or number of events per file)

The user would :
1) Place all CSVs into a known folder
2) Start a process that would cache, parse, and sort the files.
3) Query the process for an output HTML file of stated name and parameters (if not already passed at command line).

Details about #3:
The process would :

- Go into the folder, and find all *.CSV files.
- Run through the files, caching all records.
- Store unique driver names into a driver name list.
- Sort records by time stamp.
- Snap time stamps to dates, grouping unique dates as events.
- Snap dates by year, grouping unique years as seasons.

- Cull records that do not meet filtering criteria (*OPTIONAL FILTERING STAGE* - here is how you would generate multiple HTML files by specifying different criteria)
[b]NOTE : You can specify date ranges to only process certain seasons, etc.[/b]

For each season:
Create point totals container
For each event :
// Points Calculation
- Make a copy of the event table for point calculation
- For each driver : remove all runs beyond the first N that count, remove all times but the fastest selected time metric.
- Sort by selected time metric.
- Assign points to each record according to ordinal - this is the driver's event points, which will be included in the event html export.
- Place points into season points container - this has the season points total at time of this event, which will be included in the event html export.
// Output html table
- Sort event records by chosen sorting metric(s) (Allow user to provide a sorted metric list, allowing sub-sorts (eg, driver names alphabetically, subsorted by time, etc)).
- Export html file showing this event's sub-table, include in filename the date and filter criteria.
/End for each event
- Export season points html file that has all season point totals, include in filename the date and filter criteria.
/End for each season
- export master html index file listing/linking-to/whatever all generated html tables/events for the stated criteria.

The web master would have to then name the master html index file however is best.
For example : "2012_pax_results_all_vehicles.html", and embed that html file into the web page results page.
Or : "2012_index_results_s2000.html"
Or : "2012_raw_times_all.html"
or : "all_years_index_times_wrx.html"
etc.

Basically, the web master would have to decide what metrics the site wants to present for viewing, and he'd have to generate the html file-set appropriate for those metrics.

You could support index/pax/raw/whatever.
You could also make new series just by specifying car details to filter by and generating a file-set appropriate for that series, and adding an embed for that html output on the web site.
You could even back-fill a series where there was none, by processing pre-series data to see how the series would have turned out.

Ideally, drivers would supply more detail (optional. Missing fields are culled for results generation - IF those fields are necessary criteria).
- Car make, model, year
- Car Weight (guess - can be auto-corrected according to make/model/year if desired)
- Tyre make/model/treadwear/RFT(bool).
- Horsepower
- Torque
- index is auto-calculated according to the fields above
- pax is provided (derp, do not even know how to calculate this...)

I would also allow an OPTIONAL details string. So a person can specify other mods if they want to. Shocks, top hats, etc, sway bars, etc.
It would be useful if folks later wanted to search on 'criteria of interest'. (eg. Who uses invidia exhausts? Maybe I can nag them about what they think of it).

-scheherazade
Last edited by scheherazade on Wed May 29, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glennkrueger
Car: 2002 S2000
CDC Member#: 623

Post by glennkrueger »

Silver_Surfer wrote:

-scheherazade
This is a great idea!
Agreed. I'd love to have the ability to sort results like this.
Math puns are the first sine of madness!
scheherazade

Post by scheherazade »

Side note :
Hmm... edit limit is 3, eh?
I need to remember to not use this forum like a word processor (I tend to do about 543241643 edits per post).

-scheherazade
JayPar
Car: '96 Gray Miata (LATRL G)
CDC Member#: 96

Post by JayPar »

scheherazade wrote: Your approach seems like the path of least resistance for your given tool chain.
If you're sticking with google docs, I'd leave it alone, unless you are unsatisfied with what you've got.

That said, you're embedding google docs into the web site, which ultimately (end user wise) provides you with a table.
You could also just embed another html file into the web page that would provide you with a table.

That embedded html file could be the output of a process (executable) that you run on the CSV files.
The program that collates the CSVs and outputs the html can be made to generate a consistent formatting of your liking.
That way you can edit the CSV files, and then 're generate' the html file, any time without formatting losses.

-scheherazade
I like the idea of generating HTML. What you're describing is an offline process that generates a static HTML file. We may be able to go a step further and have the web server generate the HTML on the fly, where someone would only need to drop the CSV file into a directory on the web server and the web page(s) would be updated immediately.

I think this could be done with PHP script, although I have no experience with it. I do however have 10 years experience with Java servlets (using the Apache Velocity template engine) to generate HTML. I'm not sure if the web hosting company supports Java servlets (?) but if so I could write something that can do anything we need. Dynamic filtering (choosing more than one criteria, etc.) is not that hard in a servlet. (If servlets are not supported, Velocity could also be used outside the context of a servlet, called from a standalone Java program to generate HTML statically as part of an offline process like the one you suggested.) Velocity is nice in that the templating language is dirt simple so people can code templates without being Java programmers.

Ultimately it would be nice if we could have real time web updates, where CSV files wouldn't be needed but the timing software could call a web service with the data for each run. We might be able to send data out using a phone as a WiFi hotspot, although if we did something like that we would want to have backup data files in case connectivity is lost. Maybe instead of the timing software itself trying to call a web service, have another process read file(s) written by the timing software, if we're worried about the internet connections causing delays.

If we ever got real time updates I'm imagining a web service serving XML (or JSON) data that could be used by any apps that want to consume the data. I'm thinking of phone apps being written to use the data, like someone could write an app to compare the results of your last run with your previous results (or other competitors, etc). A lot could be done with that. Of course, one advantage would also be that the results would be available on the CDC site immediately after an event.

It would also be nice to have a registration management web app where you set up your car info and re-use it for future events, or if you make a mistake with indexing data it could be modified at any time. And as someone else said, it would be nice to get rid of the free form text for filtering / analysis purposes (or at least make the free form text an alternate description that's only used for display purposes and not compared against anything else.)

Anyway I might be interested in helping. In addition to servlets, I've also done a fair amount of hand coding Java, HTML, CSS, Javascript (including DOM manipulation / AJAX), SQL, AWK, some Flex. I'm by no means an expert on HTML/CSS best practices, but can get stuff done. (BTW - AWK may be a viable option for offline processing / analysis of the CSVs too).
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

silver 681
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

^ me back in my programming days...
silver 681
scheherazade

Post by scheherazade »

The only thing I can do quickly is c/c++, as it's my day to day language.
I could make a Windows&Linux compatible importable library and sample host executable, that you could wrap with whatever other language/interface.
I can do java/python/lua/whatever, but it'll take me 3x as long since I'll have to man a bunch of stuff as I go along.

Anyways, we have folks that could make whatever changes are desired.
What really needs to happen is folks decide what they want, if they want it, and if whoever manages things even wants to get into making changes in the first place.

-scheherazade
scheherazade

Post by scheherazade »

ericw wrote:^ me back in my programming days...
O'rly?
Cereal?

That's hot stuff mang'.

-scheherazade