Autocross newbie attending June 16th

Parking lots and traffic cones.
Bicyclewrench
Car: '90 Corvette

Autocross newbie attending June 16th

Post by Bicyclewrench »

Hi ya'll. Names Jamie. :geek: I'll be attending my first autocross EVER at James Wood for Fathers day. This is something I've wanted to do for a LONG time. If any of ya'll don't mind the dead weight (I'm a BIG dude) I'd love the opportunity to ride along on your run. I'd also welcome a knowledgeable co-pilot for my runs. I'll be in the steel blue C4 corvette. Number 905 this time around. Thank you! :D
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Re: Autocross newbie attending June 16th

Post by echan »

Bicyclewrench wrote:Hi ya'll. Names Jamie. :geek: I'll be attending my first autocross EVER at James Wood for Fathers day. This is something I've wanted to do for a LONG time. If any of ya'll don't mind the dead weight (I'm a BIG dude) I'd love the opportunity to ride along on your run. I'd also welcome a knowledgeable co-pilot for my runs. I'll be in the steel blue C4 corvette. Number 905 this time around. Thank you! :D
I would just go over to any of the participants (that don't already have a rider)and say "Can I ride with you?" In the morning runs 99.9% of the time, they are happy to let you ride with them. Then when it's time for you to drive, just ask the timing tent to have a CDC instructor ride with you. Everyone is super nice.

Just remember to bring a helmet if you have one (or can borrow one) (we have loaners if you can get a helmet), and also bring Sun Screen! It also helps to empty all loose items from your trunk and passenger compartment the day before the event and to check your tires, fluids, and that your battery is secure.
Bicyclewrench

Post by Bicyclewrench »

Roger that. Got a helmet. Thanks Ed!
DriftSS
CDC Member#: 126

Post by DriftSS »

Jamie,

You will enjoy it! :lol: Hopefully you signed up for a later run group and not only do the walkthrough with someone else for pointers, but get a few runs in other people's cars before running yours. It helps a lot. As Ed said, just ask people, most don't mind. Also good to have an experienced autoxer in your car to help make sure you stay on course (main object for 1st autox) and then attempt to improve your times on later runs.
I may have an empty seat for a run or two in the morning. I'm in the 2nd heat and also drive a Corvette (08Z). May also be able to ride along with you and give pointers depending on how day goes.

If you haven't already done so, its helpful to review the autocross basics forum topic by Ben beforehand.

c u there.
Stephen Catlin
#126 2008 Black Corvette Z06 :)
Bicyclewrench

Post by Bicyclewrench »

Thank you Stephan. I'll gladly take you up on that if it works out for you!
LaurenceC
Car: 2007, Subaru, STI
CDC Member#: 228

Post by LaurenceC »

I will be more than happy to help you get started. I'm usually hanging around the timing tent after the event gets started. Ride with as many people as you can. That helps a ton.

--Larry
--Laurence #28 (a.k.a Bear) @20sqfab
2019 Shadow Gray, Chevrolet, Corvette
1993 Gray, Toyota, SW20 MR2 (Autocross)
1993 White, Toyota, SW20 MR2 (Time Trial)
1965 Silver, Factory Five Roadster
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

Jaimie, I've been at this for one year and my favorite part of this year is getting to help the new new guys :)

By all means find me in Winchester, you can absolutely ride along with me, and my car is big enough to fit in (I'm 6'1" 250#) :D

Looking forward to meeting you, you're gonna have a blast and be hooked!
Bicyclewrench

Post by Bicyclewrench »

Thanks guys!!! I'm super stoked!!!
Sky Render
Car: 2011 Mustang 5.0
CDC Member#: 750

Post by Sky Render »

I'm not a nice guy; I'm a jerk. I'll still let you ride with me if you want to, though. :lol:
Vince (#750)
Grey 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I'm slow.
Bicyclewrench

Post by Bicyclewrench »

Sky Render wrote:I'm not a nice guy; I'm a jerk. I'll still let you ride with me if you want to, though. :lol:
I'll fit right in then! ;)
konkilr
Car: 1995 SUXASS LRXTi
CDC Member#: 19

Post by konkilr »

If my passenger seat is ever empty there is a problem. It is way more fun having a rider than just going fast by yourself. I dont know what I will drive so i can't say look for XXX car. Hopefully someone will offer me a co-drive.

jake
Raceday strategy: Start slow, then back off.
Nathan Atkins

Post by Nathan Atkins »

konkilr wrote:If my passenger seat is ever empty there is a problem. It is way more fun having a rider than just going fast by yourself. I dont know what I will drive so i can't say look for XXX car. Hopefully someone will offer me a co-drive.

jake
Maybe the newbie should! The most I learned about driving my car hard I learned from watching you and Caitlin driving it from my passenger seat!
Bicyclewrench

Post by Bicyclewrench »

Nathan Atkins wrote:
konkilr wrote:If my passenger seat is ever empty there is a problem. It is way more fun having a rider than just going fast by yourself. I dont know what I will drive so i can't say look for XXX car. Hopefully someone will offer me a co-drive.

jake
Maybe the newbie should! The most I learned about driving my car hard I learned from watching you and Caitlin driving it from my passenger seat!

Hell I'm game. Just leave me something to drive home. ;)
Nathan Atkins

Post by Nathan Atkins »

Just realized something crazy Jamie:

Your 350 pound feet of torque multiplied by your first gear(2.68) and final drive(3.33) is only about 10% higher than my 159 pound feet multiplied by my first gear(3.760) and final drive(4.777)

My tires are 81.6 inch circumference though, and yours are 80.62, so that pitches another 1% back in your favor.

Our zero to sixties are mirror images at 5.6 and 6.5
Two engines that couldn't be more different in character and design and they're performance is only 10-11% off when the rubber meets the road, I thought that was a nerdalicious bit of info :ugeek:

Like I said before you're welcome to ride along to feel the difference in how torque-less high-revving car makes speed versus a classic American beast. :D
Bicyclewrench

Post by Bicyclewrench »

The RX8 was on "the list" of possible front engine rear drive sports cars when I bought the C4. I REALLY wanted an Elise but it simply wasn't in the budget. I bought the C4 based on the stump pulling rep as well as the perception it would be cheaper to own.(small block chevy, large aftermarket support) I'd LOVE to see what I missed in that Wankel. I've heard wonderful things! I had a 1rst gennie RX7 when I was a kid and I LOVED the way that thing revved and the sound that little keg made.
wesmcbride
Car: 1982 Mazda RX-7
CDC Member#: 579

Post by wesmcbride »

Bicyclewrench wrote:I had a 1rst gennie RX7 when I was a kid and I LOVED the way that thing revved and the sound that little keg made.
I'll be there with my '82 FB. You're more than welcome to hop in for a ride.
DriftSS
CDC Member#: 126

Post by DriftSS »

Hope you enjoyed the event Jamie. Looks like you got the hang of it by the end of the day and showed some consistency and greatly improved times!
Stephen Catlin
#126 2008 Black Corvette Z06 :)
Bicyclewrench

Post by Bicyclewrench »

Thank you Stephan. I had an absolute blast. I decided I was hooked when I spent two hours when I got home last night looking at wheel and tire combinations and alignment numbers. :lol: As fun as the big drift in the second half sweeper was something tells me I could be a lot faster if I could have kept the rear in check. Frankly though I think I've got alot to learn before that kind of investment would make a significant effect on my times. I'm kinda bummed that it'll be September before I can attend another CDC event (work obligations) but I'm in every chance I'll get!