BBQ at Winchester events

Parking lots and traffic cones.
saint_foo

BBQ at Winchester events

Post by saint_foo »

Hi all,

For those that got to taste the BBQ, I hope you enjoyed it! We'll plan on having more ribs, chicken and sausage. If possible, we might do pork butts (chopped pork) for sandwiches. We sold at a loss this event, so the prices for the chicken and ribs will go up a dollar or two. Sausage can remain at $3..but not 2 for $5, sorry!

I'll ask Rob if he can attend any of the other events. He was able to smoke at his cabin in Martinsburg, WV, then drop it off. Unfortunately, this weekend he was moving a lot of stuff so was unable to do the pork butts. I think he started somewhere around 5 a.m. Next time he may bring the smoker to the event. It's an awesome upright thing (think refrigerator size - 950lbs IIRC).

Well, sorry to those that missed out on the ribs. I told him to make 8 racks. I will plan on asking for 16-20 racks (i.e., 32-40 half-racks). If there are leftovers, we can wrap them in foil and plastic bags (same with the other BBQ items).

If you have any suggestions, comments, please chime in!

-Ed O'Donnell
Rock Star
Car: 93 Rx-7, 83 SPEC7, 70 GT6
CDC Member#: 515

Re: BBQ at Winchester events

Post by Rock Star »

Pre-order doesn't sound out of the question, considering the cost out-lay for the meat etc. I don't know that you need to go to the extent as to prepare exact orders for people, but at least to get a gauge on who of the registered cars intends on getting what so you have a rough guess on the quantities. Then bring some extra for the walk-ups as well.

I unfortunately needed to leave town a.s.a.p. after this event so I ran morning only and heat one then took off (probably shouldn't have run at all, but hey you only live once :) ). This being the case I didn't get a chance to have (or even see/smell) any of the BBQ. I was surprised that the cooking wasn't done on-site, I think that had it been done on-site and with the smell wafting around all morning you would have had to beat hungry drivers away with a stick. I understand the difficulty of doing these things on location vs. at home but I really think you could sell a lot more. Especially at Woodbridge. If you set up the cooker in the lot there and put a sign out on the street you'd probably a bunch of people just from driving by too (just a thought).

Anyway, I look forward to trying the BBQ at the next event. Put me down for a rack of ribs and a pork sandwich (or two :lol:). Maybe some leftovers as well if it hits my tongue just right.
konkilr
Car: 1995 SUXASS LRXTi
CDC Member#: 19

Post by konkilr »

Must have ribs! The sample I got was awesome. Would have really liked to have eaten more. I am down for a couple racks. I will gladly take some home for later!

jake
Raceday strategy: Start slow, then back off.
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

I will order 3 racks of ribs (2 1/2 to take home and 1/2 rack to eat at the event).

Ed