Small Bore vehicles and allowed mods?

Parking lots and traffic cones.
oringepear

Small Bore vehicles and allowed mods?

Post by oringepear »

So I think the website FAQ on small bore may need to be updated... I noticed that some cars that are currently competing in Small Bore don't fit the description listed in the FAQ, like the inclusion of integras or civic's with DOHC VTEC motor swaps.
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Re: Small Bore vehicles and allowed mods?

Post by ericw »

1972-2009 Honda Civic (original engine type and displacement, no VTEC except single overhead cam variants)
2007-2009 Honda Fit
1990-1995, 1997-2005 Mazda Miata
silver 681
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

I just realized I have a 2005 with a little 1.8L 4 cylinder car sitting on the sidelines. Original Toyota engine. Naturally aspirated. Sounds like it fits the bill. Can it be included in small bore too?
JayPar
Car: '96 Gray Miata (LATRL G)
CDC Member#: 96

Post by JayPar »

ericw wrote:
1972-2009 Honda Civic (original engine type and displacement, no VTEC except single overhead cam variants)
2007-2009 Honda Fit
1990-1995, 1997-2005 Mazda Miata
I see what you did there.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Who is competing in SB with a DOHC VTEC motor?
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

BugBomb wrote:Who is competing in SB with a DOHC VTEC motor?
I did a quick look at the results from all the events this year and didn't see any vehicles misplaced in small bore. Let us know what cars you believe are incorrectly marked.
phranquelynn

Post by phranquelynn »

phranquelynn wrote:I just realized I have a 2005 with a little 1.8L 4 cylinder car sitting on the sidelines. Original Toyota engine. Naturally aspirated. Sounds like it fits the bill. Can it be included in small bore too?
hey i'm trying to hijack the thread. I feel like I have a legitimate claim to bring my other car in small bore. :)
ferris

Post by ferris »

phranquelynn wrote:
phranquelynn wrote:I just realized I have a 2005 with a little 1.8L 4 cylinder car sitting on the sidelines. Original Toyota engine. Naturally aspirated. Sounds like it fits the bill. Can it be included in small bore too?
hey i'm trying to hijack the thread. I feel like I have a legitimate claim to bring my other car in small bore. :)

TROLL

... I also think that the car you are talking about is explicitly forbidden ... not that you would be able to take 1st place in that car anyway ... with that battery flying around the trunk all the time
phranquelynn

Post by phranquelynn »

ferris wrote:

TROLL

... I also think that the car you are talking about is explicitly forbidden ... not that you would be able to take 1st place in that car anyway ... with that battery flying around the trunk all the time
lol. yep, i'm actually a lot faster in the Miata. so why not let me bring out my Toyota engine with matching numbers to the chasis and run in small bore? :twisted:

yep, i'm just trying to stir up shii. the car is actually on injured reserve and probably there semi-permanently now until I figure out housing/storage/finances in the next few months.

any luck in getting mike's 'toyota' squared away and sold?

hijacking in process.
oringepear

Post by oringepear »

echan wrote:
BugBomb wrote:Who is competing in SB with a DOHC VTEC motor?
I did a quick look at the results from all the events this year and didn't see any vehicles misplaced in small bore. Let us know what cars you believe are incorrectly marked.

I'm pretty sure the black civic hatch has a DOHC VTEC, and in the Woodbridge results page, this was posted...
hufflepuff wrote:... I was driving my integra which has an index of C122S (not C123).

I think an event coordinator/official should verify with the owners of the vehicle just to be sure though. Could be a mistake/error on my part or even the drivers for not knowing.
ericw

Post by ericw »

phranquelynn wrote:why not let me bring out my Toyota engine with matching numbers to the chasis and run in small bore? :twisted:
If you want to drive a toyota so bad, I have a smallbore legal toyota you can drive... I actually want to try it at autox so if you drive it I will. :P
silver 681
phranquelynn

Post by phranquelynn »

ericw wrote: If you want to drive a toyota so bad, I have a smallbore legal toyota you can drive... I actually want to try it at autox so if you drive it I will. :P
lets do it! please tell me its on all seasons too. I love driving non prepped cars. I think its a lot of fun. I drove dan's Miata on all seasons once and loved it. he thinks i'm kidding, but I had a lot of fun. but lets not do it at a good lot (i.e. Winchester). how 'bout at bowie or Frederick?
ferris

Post by ferris »

phranquelynn wrote: any luck in getting mike's 'toyota' squared away and sold?

hijacking in process.
It's gone. You should be able to find it at summit point running track days and the like.

Too bad about your car. What did you do to it besides throw a battery through the side?
phranquelynn

Post by phranquelynn »

ferris wrote:
It's gone. You should be able to find it at summit point running track days and the like.

Too bad about your car. What did you do to it besides throw a battery through the side?
my car is fine. just needs an autox alignment. a little tight on money. may need to sell to have some cushion in the bank account. don't want to put any money in until i know if i get to keep the car or not. nobody told me a baby is so expensive.
ericw

Post by ericw »

phranquelynn wrote:
ericw wrote: If you want to drive a toyota so bad, I have a smallbore legal toyota you can drive... I actually want to try it at autox so if you drive it I will. :P
lets do it! please tell me its on all seasons too. I love driving non prepped cars. I think its a lot of fun. I drove dan's Miata on all seasons once and loved it. he thinks i'm kidding, but I had a lot of fun. but lets not do it at a good lot (i.e. Winchester). how 'bout at bowie or Frederick?
It is on all seasons. I'll have to see which day I can add - I was only going to do 9 events but I am really excited about this :geek:
silver 681
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

I have the 1992 acura integra RS. it has the original 1.8L non-VTEC engine, 140HP, so on-par with miatas. It's about as quick as Dave Valeri's miata at road courses. It's FWD layout is similar to the smallbore-approved civic, except it's heavier which puts me at an additional disadvantage. It's a cheap build:

-Tokico illumias, ground control springs, progress rear swaybar, skunk2 front control arms for front camber.
- Ebay intake, DCsports header, custom 2.25" exhaust
- Stock brakes (except 1" master cylinder) with race pads up front (the car sees 8 days/year at summit and VIR)
- Racing seats and harnesses, prepping the car for time trials and eventually honda challenge road racing

Since it's not explicitly listed in the smallbore vehicle list, and the FAQ states "Any other car with a normally aspirated engine of 1.8 liters displacement or less can request to be added to the list", I am making for formal request to Ed for all 1990-2001 Acura integra non-vtec with 130-142HP B18A/B18B engines to be allowed to compete in smallbore. ;)

Just think of what it would do if it actually had VTEC... :twisted:

'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

Forgot to mention I'm running fairly modest 205/50/15 kumho xs street tires on 15x7 knock off wheels. It also has a gsr tranny with an oem helical lsd.
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
echan

Post by echan »

hufflepuff wrote:I am making for formal request to Ed for all 1990-2001 Acura integra non-vtec with 130-142HP B18A/B18B engines to be allowed to compete in smallbore. ;)
I thought that request was already made and we agreed, but never updated the small bore list. I'll check to see. I think in 2014, the small bore series may also be modified quite a bit as well.
Rock Star
Car: 93 Rx-7, 83 SPEC7, 70 GT6
CDC Member#: 515

Post by Rock Star »

echan wrote: I think in 2014, the small bore series may also be modified quite a bit as well.
Sorry Ed but my ears just perked up a little at this comment, is there a thread talking about possible changes that I missed? or is this something still to be discussed?
echan

Post by echan »

Rock Star wrote:
echan wrote: I think in 2014, the small bore series may also be modified quite a bit as well.
Sorry Ed but my ears just perked up a little at this comment, is there a thread talking about possible changes that I missed? or is this something still to be discussed?
You didn't miss anything. When this season ends, we always open up the floor for suggestions on the indexes and small bore series.

I know some suggestions include reducing the index for r-compounds and opening up small bore to include more vehicles (including FRS/BRZ). Keep in mind that these are just suggestions. We will discuss it in the off-season.