Determining 2014 CDC Optional Classes

Parking lots and traffic cones.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Determining 2014 CDC Optional Classes

Post by BugBomb »

What are the Optional Classes?

They are just-for-fun classes that participants can use primarily to break down event results for a smaller group. A great example is the FRS/BRZ club. They would like to see the results from just their club, and the optional classes give them that ability.

What benefits do the Optional Classes receive?

For 2014, they are purely for displaying results in new ways. No awards from CDC are currently planned for these classes. However, groups/clubs are welcome and encouraged to organize their own series and awards.

How many Optional Classes can we have?

As many as our participants want to use. We don't have a problem creating 20 different classes, but it doesn't make much sense to have a class that only one person uses. Also, for this first year with optional classes, you will only be able to select ONE class per event. The current results system does not support multiple classes (yet).

I am going to start a list of available classes here, beginning with ones that the organizers feel should be included. We would like to have participants post their ideas for additional classes. If you want to make suggestions, that is great, but also please let us know what class you intend to choose. You can change your answer if someone comes up with a better idea, but we want a sense of how much support there will be for the suggested classes, and we want to have them nailed down by February 16th. For those that want to see SCCA PAX, we will have a separate area to specify your SCCA Solo class if you wish, so you don't have to worry about that with the optional classes. Keep in mind that THIS is what we are shooting for as far as how our results will look for 2014 (those are just example classes).

Optional Classes for 2014:
-Novice (available to people in their first 5 events)
-Ladies
-Vintage (Cars built before 1980)
-Smallbore (same old rules - approved 1.8L cars)
-FRS/BRZ (Any FRS, BRZ, GT86)
-Rotary (Nothing but Disco Doritos)
-?
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Re: Determining 2014 CDC Optional Classes

Post by 03threefiftyz »

"Pro" class?
Areddi
Car: 2013 Scion FR-S
CDC Member#: 650

Post by Areddi »

Looks good Mike. I think seeing where the demand goes and adding or eliminating groups to narrow down based on appeal is a good way to go. I'll be FR-S/BRZ of course (I'd propose the name "[Something] 86", purely cause it sounds cool and will be easier to parse in the data). Spec? Group? Formula? Something racey, similiar to small bore's/vintage's name. Nate should love the Disco Doritos class(IMO the name for rotary!)
Check out my YouTube channel with Autocross videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAreddi
CaitieD
Car: 2010 MINI JCW Hardtop
CDC Member#: 543

Post by CaitieD »

Mike, can you add a column to the results that shows the PAX multiplier?
Caitlin
Rock Star
Car: 93 Rx-7, 83 SPEC7, 70 GT6
CDC Member#: 515

Post by Rock Star »

I'll be in either the Rotary or Vintage class depending on what car I decide to bring.

But, here's some suggestions for additional classes/names:
  • FF (Front engine/Front drive)
  • FR (Front engine/Rear drive)
  • Lightweight (Under 2500 lbs)
  • Heavyweight (Over 3600 lbs)
  • I4
  • V6
  • V8
  • Snail Series (Turbo cars)
  • Schwarzwald League (German cars)
  • Konnichiwa Cup (Japanese cars)
  • Workhorses (Daily Drivers)
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

Rock Star wrote:
  • I4
  • V6
  • V8
I like these, especially the last one.
silver 681
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Rock Star wrote:I'll be in either the Rotary or Vintage class depending on what car I decide to bring.

But, here's some suggestions for additional classes/names:
  • FF (Front engine/Front drive)
  • FR (Front engine/Rear drive)
  • I4
  • V6
  • V8
  • Snail Series (Turbo cars)
  • Schwarzwald League (German cars)
  • Konnichiwa Cup (Japanese cars)
Keep in mind that a participant will only be allowed to check ONE box. So we might want to pick fewer classes which would be popular.
JayPar
Car: '96 Gray Miata (LATRL G)
CDC Member#: 96

Post by JayPar »

From the other thread I liked the idea of a Muscle class to include at least Mustangs and Camaros and any other larger high horsepower cars. (Would that include Corvettes?)

Also a Performance Sedan class, which would include any modern V6 or V8 daily driver 4-door(?) sedan, to include Audis, Lexus, larger BMWs, and even my V6 Accord. Possibly restricted to higher treadwear tires (all seasons) in the spirit of these being daily drivers, but we could debate that.
TRUEBLUE
Car: 89 MERKUR XR4Ti

Post by TRUEBLUE »

Good Morning
I have 2 questions
Would the V8 class include swapped V8 also?
and Where would I find a Schedule for 2014?

Thank you Ed.
Rock Star
Car: 93 Rx-7, 83 SPEC7, 70 GT6
CDC Member#: 515

Post by Rock Star »

echan wrote:
Keep in mind that a participant will only be allowed to check ONE box. So we might want to pick fewer classes which would be popular.
Yup, I get that Ed. I was just adding additional suggestions to the mix, that wasn't my lineup for the season. The intention was to throw a couple more options up on the wall to see if they got any traction among the populace.

TRUEBLUE wrote: Would the V8 class include swapped V8 also?
I should hope so :twisted:
Areddi

Post by Areddi »

My suggestions from the other thread:

"Name to be determined RWD": Coupes, Hatchbacks, and Sedans 2.5L or under, RWD, no forced induction (unless factory equipped). This would allow Twins, Rx8s, some BMWs, and the like

"Name to be determined FWD": Coupes, Hatchbacks, and Sedans 2.5L or under, FWD, no forced induction (unless factory equipped). This would allow Minis, GTIs, Civics, Mazda 3's, and the like

"Name to be determined AWD": Coupes, Hatchbacks, and Sedans, AWD. This would allow Subarus, Evos, some Audis, and the like

"Name to be determined Muscle": Coupes, Hatchbacks, and Sedans, with factory (or enhanced) HP over 250. This would cover Zs, Mustangs, Camaros, Mopar, Vettes, and the like (also aftermarket FI and motor swaps?)

"Name to be determined Roadster"(or Small Bore?): Roadsters 2.5L or under, no forced induction (unless factory equipped). This would cover Miatas, S2000s, some BMW's, and the like

You'd of course have some cars that don't fit, or cars like a Focus ST or Mazdaspeed 3 that could run in Muscle, as an example, so there could be some cross-over.

OR

Could make it simpler:

RWD under 250 HP
FWD under 250 HP
AWD
Muscle
Small Bore
Check out my YouTube channel with Autocross videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAreddi
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

Daily Driver class, and you have to use it all winter...and for school runs...and for hauling heavy things via trailer... :geek:

...and it has to be an rx8...and red... :D
earl998
Car: 92 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 998

Post by earl998 »

Nathan Atkins wrote:Daily Driver class, and you have to use it all winter...and for school runs...and for hauling heavy things via trailer... :geek:

...and it has to be an rx8...and red... :D
LMAO :D
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

I like the group recommendations, particularly:

Smallbore (current rules)
FWD (unlimited)
Sports car (RWD under 250-300HP, targets FRS/BRZ, s2000, bmw, Merkur?)
Muscle car (RWD over 250-300HP, targets camaro, mustang, corvette)
Daily driver (should be street tires >=200 TW?)
AWD (unlimited)
Rotary (unlimited?)
Vintage (pre 1980)
Cobras (because racecar)
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
Nathan Atkins

Post by Nathan Atkins »

I dislike the idea of only being able to check one block, that to me is like making a movie that's only eligible for "best picture" and forsaking every other category.

My car fits in like 4 different categories and I'd like to check all those blocks. Such as it is, I'm still content to do what i did last year and just peruse the data to see the parts im interested in anyway.

To me it was simply an organizational aide, not meant to be individual little sub-championships. Just a way to compare apples to apples, or apples & oranges(apple fits in here), then compare fruits and vegetables (apple fits in here too), then compare plants and meats(apple fits in here also). I just want to be able to filter results, the sub category exclusivity I don't like because it still means i still have to hunt for the info i want.

Whew...
JayPar
Car: '96 Gray Miata (LATRL G)
CDC Member#: 96

Post by JayPar »

Nathan Atkins wrote:I dislike the idea of only being able to check one block, that to me is like making a movie that's only eligible for "best picture" and forsaking every other category.

My car fits in like 4 different categories and I'd like to check all those blocks. Such as it is, I'm still content to do what i did last year and just peruse the data to see the parts im interested in anyway.

To me it was simply an organizational aide, not meant to be individual little sub-championships. Just a way to compare apples to apples, or apples & oranges(apple fits in here), then compare fruits and vegetables (apple fits in here too), then compare plants and meats(apple fits in here also). I just want to be able to filter results, the sub category exclusivity I don't like because it still means i still have to hunt for the info i want.

Whew...
Seems like that could be done if, instead of having a single filter column, we had one column for each category, each with a boolean (True/false, or yes/no, or yes/blank) values. It would make the spreadsheet wider, but maybe they could be on the right side so as to be unintrusive if you don't want to use them. Just a thought.
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

What about an "All In" class? Basically, for the top dogs with the best cars. No holds barred. No indexes.

The incentive? Biggest trophy or swag or something worth going for.

Also, for the slowest time at each event, there should be a humiliation thing at the end...or loser buys first round. Just a thought.
Nathan Atkins

Post by Nathan Atkins »

The Wooden Spoon award! :D
BugBomb

Post by BugBomb »

While we are using Google Docs for the results, I have not found a way to allow multiple optional classes that doesn't either significantly limit the number of classes, or makes the output quite a mess with all the extra columns. We plan to use this arrangement for the 2014 season while we build a new system for results reporting. I am hoping that 2015 will have our own database where we can custom-tailor results by almost limitless factors.
Mike M
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
BugBomb

Post by BugBomb »

hufflepuff wrote:I like the group recommendations, particularly:

Smallbore (current rules)
FWD (unlimited)
Sports car (RWD under 250-300HP, targets FRS/BRZ, s2000, bmw, Merkur?)
Muscle car (RWD over 250-300HP, targets camaro, mustang, corvette)
Daily driver (should be street tires >=200 TW?)
AWD (unlimited)
Rotary (unlimited?)
Vintage (pre 1980)
Cobras (because racecar)
I think this looks like a strong list that many people seem to agree with. I'm not sure any women actually want the Ladies class, and I don't think the Cobras care about having their own as well. We might keep the Novice class in there.

Do the FRS/BRZ guys mind if we lump them together with similar RWD cars in the "Sports" class?
Mike M
Areddi

Post by Areddi »

BugBomb wrote:
hufflepuff wrote:Do the FRS/BRZ guys mind if we lump them together with similar RWD cars in the "Sports" class?
I think it makes sense to lump, natural competitors with those parameters.
03threefiftyz

Post by 03threefiftyz »

So if I make 298whp I can run "sport", even with 335 A6's, etc?
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

03threefiftyz wrote:So if I make 298whp I can run "sport", even with 335 A6's, etc?
Maybe somebody else, but not you, Mike! :D
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
03threefiftyz

Post by 03threefiftyz »

Dan133 wrote:
03threefiftyz wrote:So if I make 298whp I can run "sport", even with 335 A6's, etc?
Maybe somebody else, but not you, Mike! :D
Damn.
BugBomb

Post by BugBomb »

Anyone who has participated at Solo Nationals should be forced to run in Mike's "Pro" class. :)
Mike M