Winchester events - BBQ?!

Parking lots and traffic cones.
saint_foo

Winchester events - BBQ?!

Post by saint_foo »

Hi all,

My old neighbor, Rob, was inquiring about BBQing at some of our events again. He said Winchester would be really convenient and would bring his smoker or smoke at home and bring the goods.

For those that enjoyed his BBQ at Winchester, he would probably smoke a lot more racks of ribs, have pulled pork sandwiches, and some smoked chicken.

So, who's in? :D
Rock Star
Car: 93 Rx-7, 83 SPEC7, 70 GT6
CDC Member#: 515

Re: Winchester events - BBQ?!

Post by Rock Star »

Obvious answer is obvious: Of course I want more BBQ!
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

IN!
konkilr
Car: 1995 SUXASS LRXTi
CDC Member#: 19

Post by konkilr »

Still wanting some ribs since I didnt get any last year.

jake
Raceday strategy: Start slow, then back off.
InsightRacer
Car: 2011 Honda CR-Z
CDC Member#: 628

Post by InsightRacer »

More BBQ!
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

I speak for myself and am confident speaking for Frank when I say BRING THAT BBQ!! Best ribs I've ever had!
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

Dan133 wrote:I speak for myself and am confident speaking for Frank when I say BRING THAT BBQ!! Best ribs I've ever had!
Yes, Dan's confidence (in this case) serves him well. BRING THAT BBQ!!

Please denote on CDC schedule when smoker will make an appearance. If that's too hard, can I get a schedule of the BBQ only. No worries if there's no autox. I just need to know if that's smoker is smokin' and where it'll be. mmmm mmmmm mmmmm is it too late to have our awards luncheon catered by the smokin' bbq guy?
JayPar
Car: '96 Gray Miata (LATRL G)
CDC Member#: 96

Post by JayPar »

Dan133 wrote:I speak for myself and am confident speaking for Frank when I say BRING THAT BBQ!! Best ribs I've ever had!
I will not register for extra runs the next time they have BBQ ribs at Winchester.
I will not register for extra runs the next time they have BBQ ribs at Winchester.
I will not...
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

I think Rob's menu will look something like this:

1/4 chicken = $6
chopped pork sandwich = $5-6
1/2 rack of ribs = $10-11 (no price break on full-racks unless there are some left around 1 p.m.)

Also, did folks want sides? I suggested just offering a scoop of slaw, bean or potato salad (bucket store bought) as a complimentary side. This way if you wanted some, you got some. If you didn't need any, you could just save it for the next person.

Then if you just wanted a side, you could maybe pay $1-2

Thoughts?
Rock Star

Post by Rock Star »

I'd be pretty psyched for some potato salad or mac 'n cheese. Store bought or otherwise.
Areddi
Car: 2013 Scion FR-S
CDC Member#: 650

Post by Areddi »

I love me some ribs, so looking forward to that! I was thinking that while I enjoy a half-rack I'll ask for a ride along with Nate. His in cabin video would show me gnawing the meat down, tossing bones out the window onto the course, and leaving BBQ sauce hand prints all over the cabin.
Check out my YouTube channel with Autocross videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAreddi
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Rock Star wrote:I'd be pretty psyched for some potato salad or mac 'n cheese. Store bought or otherwise.

Noted!

I figure the sides that would hold up the best would be potato salad, mac-n-cheese, beans, slaw for sammiches (or as a side).
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Hi all,

Only 2 weeks away! I spoke with Rob last week and it sounds like ribs may not be on the menu b/c of real estate. However, the rest of the BBQ is awesome and a better bang-for-the-buck I think.

If he does some ribs, it would only take up a shelf or two on his smoker. I'll coordinate with Rob and Ed Chan.

-Ed O
phranquelynn

Post by phranquelynn »

saint_foo wrote: ribs may not be on the menu
this aint funny. stop joking. "MAY NOT be on the menu?" wtf? i'm thinking of withdrawing my registration!
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Rob's finalizing prices and food items...but good news, Franklin!

It looks like he will have 11 full racks which he will sell 1/2 racks at $10-11 each. If you want to commit to one, find me. It will be a first-come, first-serve until gone. These are the best ribs I've had locally and the price is definitely a better bargain than Famous Dave's and the ilk.

Also, he should have pulled pork sandwiches. I think they will be $6 each. I actually stopped doing ribs b/c the smoked pork butts (shoulder) are so damn good. You don't get the same flavor as from a chain BBQ restaurant.

Some 1/4 chickens as well, probably about $5-6 each. I prefer this to the pork now. His chicken is hands down the best I've had, including buffalo wings. :-)

POSSIBLY smoked sausages, too. He would get some better quality sausage (not to knock Costco's Premio brand!) and smoke them. Due the cost, it will probably be a $5 sandwich...but very tasty! I will update in the next day or two.

Sides: I think coleslaw, beans, pasta salad or something like that. I don't think he'll have mac-n-cheese this event. Probably $1 or so per side. He didn't want to overbuy, so first-come, first-serve until he runs out.

I also told Rob to bring some extra foil/ziploc bags to sell to-go stuff for any leftovers. I know I'm taking some home for the family.

Please chime in if you have any suggestions! I think he may get there around 10:30. He'll be up early smoking nearby...or possibly at the event.

-Ed O
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

saint_foo wrote:Rob's finalizing prices and food items...but good news, Franklin!

It looks like he will have 11 full racks which he will sell 1/2 racks at $10-11 each. If you want to commit to one, find me. It will be a first-come, first-serve until gone. These are the best ribs I've had locally and the price is definitely a better bargain than Famous Dave's and the ilk.

Also, he should have pulled pork sandwiches. I think they will be $6 each. I actually stopped doing ribs b/c the smoked pork butts (shoulder) are so damn good. You don't get the same flavor as from a chain BBQ restaurant.

Some 1/4 chickens as well, probably about $5-6 each. I prefer this to the pork now. His chicken is hands down the best I've had, including buffalo wings. :-)

POSSIBLY smoked sausages, too. He would get some better quality sausage (not to knock Costco's Premio brand!) and smoke them. Due the cost, it will probably be a $5 sandwich...but very tasty! I will update in the next day or two.

Sides: I think coleslaw, beans, pasta salad or something like that. I don't think he'll have mac-n-cheese this event. Probably $1 or so per side. He didn't want to overbuy, so first-come, first-serve until he runs out.

I also told Rob to bring some extra foil/ziploc bags to sell to-go stuff for any leftovers. I know I'm taking some home for the family.

Please chime in if you have any suggestions! I think he may get there around 10:30. He'll be up early smoking nearby...or possibly at the event.

-Ed O
Please reserve 2 full racks for me. I plan to eat some there and bring 1 1/2 racks back for my parents on father's day! Ed
Rock Star

Post by Rock Star »

I'll be getting 1 full rack, a pulled pork sandwich, and a side (I'd probably go for potato or pasta salad if no mac n' cheese is on hand). Thanks!

-Rocky
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

***UPDATE***

Rob has the following:

11 racks of ribs = 22 1/2 racks at $10 per half
2 pork shoulders for chopped pork sandwiches (amazing!) - about 30 x $6 sandwiches (choice of 2 sauces)
16 chicken quarters with his famous Texas rub (phenomenal) - $5 each!
couple dozen smoked sausages (butcher made, outstanding taste) - only $4 each (so homemade and smoked...might be losing money at this price, but our gain!)

plus the following sides ($1 each while they last):

homemade coleslaw
homemade potato salad
baked beans (not Bush's, sorry)

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, thoughts. I won't be able to check this after Friday ~ 3:00 p.m.

DIBS ON RIBS: Jake (1/2), Ed Chan (2 racks), Rocky (1 rack), Larry (1 rack)

-Ed O
phranquelynn

Post by phranquelynn »

Phew. I'll be coming then.

Reserving 2 full racks. My fam coming for father's day. :)
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

If it's not too late please reserve me a 1/2 rack.
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Okay, feedback time...

First off, Rob apologized for the ribs not being as good as last time. He mentioned that juggling the different meats that early in the morning caused 10 extra minutes each time he opened the smoker door. Then he had to bump up the temp to finish in time. Also, I heard through the grapevine that he should skip the sugar coating. He said he'll skip it next time.

Chicken - I heard that it was dry for quite a few folks. In the past he brined them. This time he didn't and probably why they weren't as juicy (not sure about the taste since I didn't get anything but a few scraps). Thoughts?

How was the sausage?

Chopped Pork? We discussed this and probably will shred instead of chopping. Chopping caused more of a mess and the sandwiches fell apart more.

What about the sides? Were they good, bad, mediocre? Which ones?

Sauces?

He said thanks for the opportunity and is thinking about how to address these things if he were to do it in the future. He really wants constructive criticism - good or bad. It only helps the customer and him if we're giving him honest feedback.

Lastly, humble apologies for running out. He thought there was going to be too much food and he didn't want to get stuck with a bunch of leftovers (even though I said I would buy it off him to take home).

I apologize to anyone who didn't get any meat (that wanted it, John Netzel, lol). I guess next time we'll have some hot dogs too. Also, if anyone was disappointed, I apologize. I'd like to make it up to you in the future (not a free rack of ribs, Franklin). As a club, we try to keep our customers happy. Sometimes we try something new such as offering different food items. Some things work, some don't. In any event, I tried to get this to happen in order for folks to get a decent meal at a fair price (at least for BBQ) instead of the usual hot dogs or sausage. Thanks for those who tried, and sorry to those that wanted bbq but didn't get any.

Sincerely,

Ed O'Donnell
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Ed,

Tell Rob thanks for his efforts!

Here's my feedback:

1. I also preferred to have the old receipt with no brown sugar. However, I brought back some ribs for my parents and brother and they loved the ribs, especially the brown sugar. I suppose you can't please everyone. Maybe make 1/3 of the ribs with brown sugar and 2/3 the original method (if possible?).

2. I heard from some that the chicken was dry.

3. I wanted to try the sausage but it was sold out. I also would have tried the BBQ pork but that was also sold out, as well.

Is Rob going to attend the next event with more BBQ on Saturday June 28th (at Winchester)? Since everything was sold out, we might bring the small grill and one pack of hot dogs to tie people down until the BBQ arrives (also for those that don't want BBQ). Thoughts??

Overall, I think Rob's ribs were great (I did, however, like last year's version more). I'm trying to be honest so that he can improve on his product. I hope everything that tried his BBQ also gives feedback - try to be constructive and descriptive to that Rob will know where to focus. Just like CDC as a whole, all of us are always looking for ways to improve.

Ed C.
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

^ Thanks, Ed! That's the kind of write up/feedback he is looking for.

I've had his ribs a lot and there are times when they weren't as tender or smoky. He mentioned doing the ribs and pork shoulder together in the main smoker, then smoking the sausage and chicken together since the smoking times/temps would be better suited for those pairings.

Anyone that had the sausage...how was it?
dmyer
Car: 2007 Mini Cooper S
CDC Member#: 770

Post by dmyer »

I hope he brings the Barbeque back... and more of it.... if that was not as good as the first time which I missed.... we need another test to see if that was just an anomaly.... I agree the sausage and chicken should be cooked separate.... a simple suggestion..... Cook the ribs and pork butt the day before 75-85%.... then finish them with the chicken and sausage the day of eating.

The loaded potato salad was very good IMO. Grilled dogs would be AOK as a starter or option for those that do not like smoked barbecue, or, we could just deny entry to those folks as that is un-american!

Does this guy smoke brisket also? :P
Sky Render
Car: 2011 Mustang 5.0
CDC Member#: 750

Post by Sky Render »

I was going to try some, but it was sold out by the time I got there. :shock:
Vince (#750)
Grey 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I'm slow.