Winchester events - BBQ?!

Parking lots and traffic cones.
saint_foo

Re: Winchester events - BBQ?!

Post by saint_foo »

dmyer wrote:I hope he brings the Barbeque back... and more of it.... if that was not as good as the first time which I missed.... we need another test to see if that was just an anomaly.... I agree the sausage and chicken should be cooked separate.... a simple suggestion..... Cook the ribs and pork butt the day before 75-85%.... then finish them with the chicken and sausage the day of eating.

The loaded potato salad was very good IMO. Grilled dogs would be AOK as a starter or option for those that do not like smoked barbecue, or, we could just deny entry to those folks as that is un-american!

Does this guy smoke brisket also? :P

Yes, we toyed with the idea of brisket. The way Rob does it, I think he said around 18 hours. Perhaps it was 12-18...but it was a long time. Thanks for the feedback!
JayPar
Car: '96 Gray Miata (LATRL G)
CDC Member#: 96

Post by JayPar »

Ditto. He was gone by the start of afternoon heat 1. I should have listened to my own advice (upthread) about not signing up for double runs. However the extra seat time outweighed the loss of BBQ.
dmyer
Car: 2007 Mini Cooper S
CDC Member#: 770

Post by dmyer »

saint_foo wrote:

Yes, we toyed with the idea of brisket. The way Rob does it, I think he said around 18 hours. Perhaps it was 12-18...but it was a long time. Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah.... brisket takes longer.... I usually cook brisket and ribs the same amount of time in the smoker.... but finish the brisket in the oven (not a competition worthy move... but it works well!)
dmyer
Car: 2007 Mini Cooper S
CDC Member#: 770

Post by dmyer »

JayPar wrote:Ditto. He was gone by the start of afternoon heat 1. I should have listened to my own advice (upthread) about not signing up for double runs. However the extra seat time outweighed the loss of BBQ.
If it is any consolation.... I ate the barbeque, was fat, happy and lazy and and drove that way in my afternoon runs(I sucked!)
BabyLFA

Post by BabyLFA »

Food was gone by the time I was done working the course and racing three and one :(
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Thanks for all the feedback, folks!

Anyone else? Good, bad, etc?

Rob has promised vast improvements in the future: start earlier, layout the sauces and sides better, etc.

Please offer up suggestions! Once again, sorry to anyone that wanted some that didn't get any.

-Ed O
Rock Star
Car: 93 Rx-7, 83 SPEC7, 70 GT6
CDC Member#: 515

Post by Rock Star »

The food was very good, so good that the rack of ribs which I intended to have one or two of and bring home the rest turned into one very large meal. Obviously I enjoyed it all very much so don't take any of the rest of what I have to say as harsh criticism because I would probably buy/do the same exact thing again even with no changes to anything.

Ribs: The mild taste of the meat (rub/smoke) was overwhelmed by the brown sugar. It was a novelty for me because I had never had sugar coated ribs before. It was definitely an interesting flavor at first but after having a few I was brushing the excess off and wishing it wasn't there at all. The sauce (I had the 'spicy' style from the foil pan) was good but lacked the pepper kick I would have expected with it being labeled as spicy. A bit more heat in the sauce would be better. This, supplemented with a sweet/mild sauce, would be best so one could mix the two to taste to get the optimum heat. Also, it may be personal preference but I prefer a bit more sauce to be added to the ribs and then tossed on an open grill to caramelize the sauce a bit and add some char. With an available CDC grill I could do this on my own, but again this is getting nitpicky and going way beyond what I would expect at an AutoX.

Pork: Definitely pull it, no chopping. The meat was great, though not as moist as it could have been. The size of the sandwich was good and the bun was good too. I'd say the buns needed to be a little more solid for the chopped pork (made it difficult to eat one handed) but it will be great for pulled meat because the meat will hold together better. Same deal with the sauce as for the ribs.

Potato Salad: First I have to say, I have a home recipe for potato salad that I love to death. This makes it very difficult for me to enjoy other peoples potato salads and why I usually go for Mac 'n cheese when I am at a restaurant. However, this stuff was really awesome. Do not let him come back without it. I'm not saying it is better then my own, but I could see certain meals where given the option between mine and Rob's I'd have to make a tough call. Really top notch.

Again, and I cannot stress this enough: Great effing meal. I'd buy even more next time but I'd just end up eating it all onsite again.
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

i love that cdc has food options. nice that there's something different every now and then too. so glad he came out. but having said that, i must admit i was disappointed. i probably wouldn't have voiced my opinion on the forum though until it was solicited. the first time was probably one of the best ribs i ever had. this past time was mediocre to me. i didn't like the sugar. thought that it was also somewhat dry and tasted like it might have been rushed. i know because i've had batches that taste like that when its rushed. hope that he's able to repeat the first time. also, prices seemed fair and on par with roadside bbq's, which means some profit. hope he kicked some back to the club. now there's a thought. i like trying roadside bbq's. many of them have cards saying they'll cater. i wonder if they'd be interested in coming to cdc. i guess i should ask if cdc would be interested in having them? if so, what should i say as a "booth" fee? just a thought
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Rob is definitely taking notes about what people liked and didn't like.

He definitely had to rush towards the end in order to meet the lunch timeframe. He said next time he will start around 2 a.m. instead of 4 a.m.

Rest assured, probably never see sugar like that again. A glaze on some ribs wouldn't hurt either.

Rocky - the buns, I totally agree! I would've been happier with Martin's potato rolls b/c they hold up better...but it seems that everyone's using them now. They are quality rolls/buns! They may not have the same flavor as the ones he brought.

Regarding flavors like the sides and sauces, as much feedback as you guys give, the better! :D
Rock Star

Post by Rock Star »

Yeah, Martins Potato rolls definitely hold together better and have an added plus of being from just up the street a bit (Chambersburg, PA). The problem with them is that the 'sliced rolls' are usually on the smaller size for what I would consider a good sandwich. You need to at least get the "sandwich" rolls or the "big Marty's". I agree they are very common but that is for a reason, most everyone likes them. I did like the flavor of the buns he brought, but again they would be better for somewhere that I could sit down and use both hands and a fork vs standing around watching cars hit cones.

Oh and I just learned that I have a family reunion scheduled on the same day as the next AutoX so I won't be able to try the updated stuff :cry:
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Rock Star wrote: Oh and I just learned that I have a family reunion scheduled on the same day as the next AutoX so I won't be able to try the updated stuff :cry:
I don't think Rob will be at the next event on June 28th (he will be at a BBQ cook-off). So we will probably just do hotdogs, sausages, and my ribs with the generic rub cooked on the electric smoker.
Rock Star

Post by Rock Star »

That's still pretty solid fare, especially with the Sweet Baby Ray's on hand. :D Still sad to miss but I'm glad I'll get to sample the next round.