Fixing potholes?

Parking lots and traffic cones.
JayPar
Car: '96 Gray Miata (LATRL G)
CDC Member#: 96

Fixing potholes?

Post by JayPar »

I was wondering about fixing a couple of the worst potholes at Harry Grove. For example consider the product below. Each 40 lb pail costs $20 and covers approximately 4 sq ft x 1 inch. I don't have a good grasp of how many buckets would be needed, but I wouldn't mind buying a couple / few buckets of this and perhaps others could pitch in as well and we could have a pothole-fixing field trip. Would we need permission from the lot owner to do it? Even if we just fix the two worst ones that would help - one of them affected course design last time.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-40-l ... /203259885
Areddi
Car: 2013 Scion FR-S
CDC Member#: 650

Re: Fixing potholes?

Post by Areddi »

This is a great idea, I could haul some of them in my truck if needed. I would find it hard to believe if the stadium told us no if we wanted to improve the state of their parking lot, though that is the kind of world we live in nowadays sadly.
Check out my YouTube channel with Autocross videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAreddi
Sky Render
Car: 2011 Mustang 5.0
CDC Member#: 750

Post by Sky Render »

Part of the problem is that the worst pothole (the one I call the "Sarlaac Pit") is a result of the top layer of asphalt delaminating. The pavement is "crocodiled" (read: cracked up) for a large area around that pit. In order to properly repair it, we would have to remove all of those cracked pieces of pavement around it and fill all of that in. Otherwise, we'd have a fixed portion of asphalt with cracked parts around it that would simply come loose after cars drove over it too much.

Still, it might be worth a try. I'll let one of the other organizers chime in on it.
Vince (#750)
Grey 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I'm slow.
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

I'd be happy to volunteer to labor. Don't know anything about asphalt:-/
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
JayPar

Post by JayPar »

That's great that the pothole has a name!

So the biggest question is still: do we need permission?

If it's OK, the next step would be to measure the approximate square footage and depth (maybe two estimates - one including and one not including the crocodiled area) to get a cost estimate. (I'm assuming the stuff that is cracked is pretty uniform in thickness if it's a layer on top of older asphalt.) If it's too big I'd just drop it as a dumb idea, and perhaps that product isn't even the most cost-effective way of fixing it. As far as removing the crocodiled area goes, I think that would be very easy and quick to do with pick axes (which I have) but it's just the added expense of more material to fill in.
Tedzilla
Car: '58 MGA Coupe '04 Porsche
CDC Member#: 1

Post by Tedzilla »

Yeah, we definitely need written permission.
JayPar

Post by JayPar »

I kind of knew that was the answer, especially regarding making the holes bigger. For all we know they may have plans to fix the potholes. Still I plan to bring a tape measure and camera next time to see what kind of effort and cost would be involved.
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

Tedzilla wrote:Yeah, we definitely need written permission.
So then how do we make that happen? If we don't fix these potholes it's going to kill Frederick as a site for us to use.
--Nick D
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

v10climber wrote:
Tedzilla wrote:Yeah, we definitely need written permission.
So then how do we make that happen? If we don't fix these potholes it's going to kill Frederick as a site for us to use.
Mike M has already planned to request permission. So it is already in the works. Keep in mind that even if we can try to fix the lot, at best we will just slow the deterioration of the lot. When it comes down to it, the lot is old and needs to be resurfaced and the amount that CDC pays for the rental isn't significant compared the the paving cost.
Areddi

Post by Areddi »

v10climber wrote:If we don't fix these potholes it's going to kill Frederick as a site for us to use.
Agree. It is getting rougher each time that we're there. It is a small lot, but I know I always have a good time when we're there. Would be a shame if it becomes unusable.

Glad that Waldorf was added to the mix this year to give us more options but I know that's a premium venue with AI and BMW running there too.
Check out my YouTube channel with Autocross videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAreddi
Areddi

Post by Areddi »

Has there been any updates on this by chance? A few Frederick events are on the horizon and I am curious if we know if the condition of the lot has changed at all or if any organizers have any information to share?
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

I was taking charge of this, but I was unable to get in touch with our contact at the stadium. I will set myself a reminder to get in touch with them when I get back from Nationals, but I seriously doubt anything can be done before the next HG event.

We didn't have trouble avoiding the worst spot at the event last weekend, but one of the holes in the drainage swale was still an issue. If the crossover had been done in the other direction then it probably would have been ideal.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

That was a very good, simple course last week. That would be a great course for the beginning of the season. Excellent choice in the rain. I couldn't even see the broken pavement because of the several inches of running water:-)
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

What if i just show up at midnight and repair it over night? :D

Have you guys thought about the FCC parking lot on the far side? it looks pretty!

Arts Center Parking, 7932 Opossumtown Pike, Frederick, MD 21702
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

euro2fast4u wrote:What if i just show up at midnight and repair it over night? :D

Have you guys thought about the FCC parking lot on the far side? it looks pretty!

Unfortunately, that lot is even shorter than Harry Grove (although a little wider). In the end, I doubt it would work. One of our members mentioned that his friend has a private airfield that is paved and he might be willing to let us hold events there. It might be a little strange with a very long straight and a couple of areas for turn around (where the planes turn) then another long straight - Basically the courses wouldn't change much with lots of off-set gates/slaloms then a turn around then more off-set gates/slaloms. I guess it's good that CDC uses a variety of lots, which give us a variety of different courses...
JayPar

Post by JayPar »

Has the club ever considered the Harrisburg Farm Show Complex? I know the PA chapter of SCCA uses it. (Coordinates: 40.288490 N, 76.885379 W)

For us here near Frederick, it would be around 1.5 - 1.75 hours which isn't that much farther than Winchester, Woodbridge, or Waldorf. For folks in VA it would be a long drive though. But didn't CDC do some events at Cumberland (or was that AI)? If so at least there would be a precedent for a longer drive.

(BTW - Denise rents the buildings at that facility for her horse trade show in March.)
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

echan wrote:
euro2fast4u wrote:What if i just show up at midnight and repair it over night? :D

Unfortunately, that lot is even shorter than Harry Grove (although a little wider). In the end, I doubt it would work. One of our members mentioned that his friend has a private airfield that is paved and he might be willing to let us hold events there. It might be a little strange with a very long straight and a couple of areas for turn around (where the planes turn) then another long straight - Basically the courses wouldn't change much with lots of off-set gates/slaloms then a turn around then more off-set gates/slaloms. I guess it's good that CDC uses a variety of lots, which give us a variety of different courses...

Google maps says its ~50 feet longer in all distances.
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

I know im still getting my posts reviewed but what about these two locations?

39.511009, -77.410261

39.511196, -77.410258
Apexcarver

Post by Apexcarver »

Those are a few parking spaces away from each other. :P

I recall that that one has been looked into, but dont remember the reasons its not going forward off the top.
(╯°□°)╯︵|> ____________________ Joseph O.
marauder

Post by marauder »

What about using the parking lot/lots at Wolf Trap, in Vienna, Va?
38.939840, -77.266744

38.939656, -77.268691