Parking Lot Suggestions Wanted

Parking lots and traffic cones.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Parking Lot Suggestions Wanted

Post by kyle.bowker »

We're always looking for new venues to host auto-x events. Finding suitable venues to race is probably the club's biggest challenge. If anyone has any recommendations please post 'em up here. Good candidates will be large, open lots with few or no lamp posts or other obstructions such as trees or islands, be available on weekends, and inexpensive to rent. The closer to civilization the better. Please include as much pertinent information as possible including the address, a Google Maps aerial view, contact information for the facilities manager, etc. Thanks!
saint_foo

Re: Parking Lot Suggestions Wanted

Post by saint_foo »

I've got a few people scoping out lots. I think Travis Finlay's friend's father owns properties such as business parks or office buildings that MIGHT have suitable space and meets our safety needs.

-Ed O'Donnell
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Jake and I did an auto-x at Six Flags back in 2001. They are closed starting in November (not too late for an event).

http://www.sixflags.com/america/footernav/contact.aspx
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

Do you recall what sanctioning body or club hosted that event in 2001? It appears that Six Flags opened their 2007 season the first weekend in April and close the last weekend in October. Assuming they were willing to rent to us and that the rent was affordable we could possibly run two events there, one in November and one in March.
moxnix
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 0

Post by moxnix »

Most likely Autocrossers Inc ran the event in 2001. If Six Flags was still a cheap option I am sure they would still be running there.
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

I also ran at Six Flags or was it Wild World ? in Largo some years ago.

My understanding is that they lost the lot due to noise complaints from nearby neighbors. (you could see houses from the lot we used.) But that was long ago and maybe the neighbors have moved :lol:

How about the WSSC lot in White Oak where we held the very first CDC event ? I know Mercedes club lost access to the lot, but as far as I know the lot is still there. Rte 29 @ Tech drive, near the new MVA.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

Gonz wrote:How about the WSSC lot in White Oak where we held the very first CDC event ? I know Mercedes club lost access to the lot, but as far as I know the lot is still there. Rte 29 @ Tech drive, near the new MVA.
I've never been to the WSSC lot in Silver Spring but I believe Ted can tell you all about the curbs there. :P I don't think it's gonna work for us.
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

WSSC was sold to developers. I don't know if they ever did anything with it...Maybe Ted should see if that lot is still around (or for sale).
GTI0125
Car: 2003 VW GTI
CDC Member#: 125

Post by GTI0125 »

In Sykesville MD there is a MD State Police Training Facility,
http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/aboutdpscs/pct/

Link to google maps of the lot
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Sykesvill ... &z=16&om=1

I wonder if they would even talk to us about renting the lot.

Matt
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

NCCBMWCCA uses that Skykesville lot but it's too far away for most of us (organizers at least since we already have to wake up at 5am to get to Manassas or Frederick by 7am). Maybe we can get some members from further north to host events and recruit new members from Baltimore and southern PA?

We need NoVA lots badly. What about that VDOT parking lot in Woodbridge used for the Mid-Atlantic Mega Meets?
moxnix
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata

Post by moxnix »

kyle.bowker wrote:We need NoVA lots badly. What about that VDOT parking lot in Woodbridge used for the Mid-Atlantic Mega Meets?
While I would love to see it since that would be so close for me I don't think it will happen.

The organizers of the meets had this to say about the cancellations of the megameet events.
We are sorry to say that yes the rumors are true....the Mid Atlantic MEGA MEET (MAMM) is no more. Due to the over whelming request for use of the lot from other shops, company's and organizations and the size that the meet has grown to, Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) does not want to deal with the issues anymore and has pulled the permit.

We where running off of a test type of permit and VDOT has not done anything like this before. They only did this as a favor because they to wanted to see the youth have a place where they could hang out legally and enjoy the hobby that we all love. But due to the rapid growth and huge amount of phone calls / e-mails sent to VDOT questioning why they could not have a permit to do the same thing, the VDOT upper management decided to end the test type permit, shut it down and end all the issues.
http://www.megameet.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=156
FamilyTruckster
Car: 89&90 Country Squire
CDC Member#: 206

Post by FamilyTruckster »

RFK stadium has some nice lots.They are constantly renting the one out. Lot 7 IIRC. Pretty sure they ran the grand prix on that lot. I'd hate the drive, but it'd be worth it.
Mike, the guy with the big woody wagon #206
http://youtube.com/profile?user=FamilyTruckster
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

I've often thought of RFK. There is some resistance to it within the club because of the surrounding neighborhood. I've been to several "ride and drive" exhibitions there so I asked the person who organized the event how much it cost to rent lot 6 and 7 (the old GPW circuit) and I was told $3,000/day. You can run most of the old course but there is some construction equipment, trailers, and other changes that prevent you from running the entire lap. Still, you could cut through the parking lot like we did. There is no way that lot is a viable proposition for our club unless we teamed up with another group and we each used 1/2 of the lot simultaneously. Even then the cost would be difficult.
FamilyTruckster

That's a tad pricey! It's DC, not gonna get much better of a nieghborhood. I drive through there daily.

Is the drive to Sykesville worse than Frederick for the NOVA crew?
GTI0125

Post by GTI0125 »

How big is course at RFK? If we contacted any of the local groups ie BMW or Porsche they might want to split the lot with us. I know the Capital Porsche club does not run all that many autox events and if its due to lack of a lot then this might be able to help both groups out.

Kyle, do you know where in MD or VA everyone is coming from? The Sykesville lot might be a cool thing to run maybe once or twice a season if its a worthwhile course but to far to put on the schedule more than once or twice

matt
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

Dave V. said his parents live up near Sykesville and he might be willing to transport the equipment up the night before and run the event the next day with some help from those who live further up north.
GTI0125

Post by GTI0125 »

Count me in for helping out at a Sykesville event!!!!

Could we allow a few State cops to run for free? I would love to see how their cruisers do!!
Rice & Gravy
Car: '05 Forester XT - Black
CDC Member#: 340

Post by Rice & Gravy »

Would the lot the MB club uses in Winchester be an option??
-Steve
FamilyTruckster

I am also near Sykesville, and could help setup/breakdown. Much less of a drive for me. I could actually sleep at my house, instead of somewhere else like I do for other events! :D
TubeDriver

Post by TubeDriver »

Battlefield HS in Haymarket has a lot that would work for autoX.
Tie your shoes, Drive your car, Love your girl!
--
WideSpread Panic
jmac

Post by jmac »

I could do the one in Sykesville. I think the BMW club runs there. I might be a ble to ask someone from Baltimore about it. There two lots in Frederick if someone wants to look at them with me call. They might work but they have a few poles. One is on route 15 north just before route 40. It's a healthcare building. The other one is Frederick Community Collage on Motter ave.
Tim.R

Post by Tim.R »

Fairfax County has a really nice driver training facility out by Dulles Airport. It is actually a small road course with a banked turn.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/police34a.htm

Here is a link to Google maps - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 8&t=h&om=1

This would be an ideal place to hold an event or two. When I lived in Santa Fe, the New Mexico State Police, also, had a nice training course. They would lease it out to various clubs (i.e. Porsche, Corvette and SCCA). Probably no chance Fairfax would allow clubs, but it may be worth asking.

Tim
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

Tim.R wrote:Probably no chance Fairfax would allow clubs, but it may be worth asking.
That location would be ideal. Unfortunately, the Fairfax County Police have routinely demonstrated they do not support our club's efforts. A few years ago we inquired about the training academy center and our request was refused.
PatN217
Car: 2004 Mazda RX-8

Post by PatN217 »

I know its been a while since someone has posted on this link and this year's events have already been scheduled for the most part. Ill throw out the Navy/Marine Corps Stadium in Annapolis. I'm a midshipman at the Academy and I've always thought that the parking lot would be great for an autocross event. The surface is in decent shape and there aren't any light poles in the whole lot plus there would be plenty of room for parking and setup. Its hard to say what the Academy's stance would be on an event like this but it might be worth looking into.
Hil

Post by Hil »

PatN217 wrote:I know its been a while since someone has posted on this link and this year's events have already been scheduled for the most part. Ill throw out the Navy/Marine Corps Stadium in Annapolis. I'm a midshipman at the Academy and I've always thought that the parking lot would be great for an autocross event. The surface is in decent shape and there aren't any light poles in the whole lot plus there would be plenty of room for parking and setup. Its hard to say what the Academy's stance would be on an event like this but it might be worth looking into.
I think that is a great idea. :D I would even help the organizers set up.