Parking Lot Suggestions Wanted

Parking lots and traffic cones.
PatN217
Car: 2004 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 0

Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium

Post by PatN217 »

Here is an overhead shot from google. Of course the large parking lot would be empty for our use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Re: Parking Lot Suggestions Wanted

Post by kyle.bowker »

The lot surface at Navy-Marine Corps Stadium is really old and dirty as the aggregate is starting to separate from the binder. Do you have a point of contact there?
PatN217
Car: 2004 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 0

Post by PatN217 »

kyle.bowker wrote:The lot surface at Navy-Marine Corps Stadium is really old and dirty as the aggregate is starting to separate from the binder. Do you have a point of contact there?
I would contact Pinnacle Parking, they are the company that handles the parking at the stadium. They might have a person who can be directly contacted about using the parking lot for an autocross. Their phone number is 410.263.7151.
Identity Crisis

Post by Identity Crisis »

Why dont you guys consider using Fedex Field, Dan Snyder is obviously already open to the idea.

There are many different sized lots available and I'm sure you could run your entire season there on one of the smaller lots.

You could even run on the same weekends as A.I. or SCCA and maybe even pick up some crossover business.

It would be cool to run CDC in the morning and SCCA or A.I. in the afternoon:) or vice versa and never leave FedEX.

Nice central location for MD and VA drivers too.

I'm sure Brian Garfield can put you in touch with who you need to contact.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

Identity Crisis wrote:Why dont you guys consider using Fedex Field
We have considered it but it is cost prohibitive. We face the same problem at RFK and other area arenas.
Identity Crisis wrote:I'm sure Brian Garfield can put you in touch with who you need to contact.
Hahahaha, yeah, right!
JoeTR6
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

Maybe if we charged as much for concessions as Dan Snyder, we could swing it. :)

The only way I could see us ever doing an event at Fedex is if we effectively have two events in one day. There could be fewer runs with a longer, more open course. Even so, it would be an expensive day. It might not hurt to check on the cost of a smaller lot.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

What kind of cost difference are we talking about? What would the entry fee need to be for us to have an event there?
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
DaveL20
Car: 2001 Ford Focus
CDC Member#: 189

Post by DaveL20 »

Identity Crisis wrote:You could even run on the same weekends as A.I. or SCCA and maybe even pick up some crossover business.

It would be cool to run CDC in the morning and SCCA or A.I. in the afternoon:) or vice versa and never leave FedEX.

I'm sure Brian Garfield can put you in touch with who you need to contact.
AI has now combined with SCCA to run their events. I don't see us running at FedEx on the same weekends as SCCA. Too much traffic and confusion I am sure.
Ourisman Chrysler Dodge Jeep
2009 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Under Champion
2010 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Over Champion
Money can't buy you love but it can buy lots and lots of horsepower.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

BugBomb wrote:What kind of cost difference are we talking about? What would the entry fee need to be for us to have an event there?
100 people willing to pay $75 each. Given SCCA only charges $25-$35, I don't think we can generate enough interest. The reason SCCA can afford to charge that little is because they've got 300+ participants, thus cutting the cost to 1/3 of what we would need to charge to make it worthwhile. This is also why you don't see any other clubs like PCA, BMWCCA, or MSCW running there. You can change the number around a bit: 50 people willing to pay $150 each or 200 people willing to pay $40 each but the total costs that need to be absorbed remain the same.

There used to be a consortium of auto clubs in the DC area known as the Metropolitan Washington Council of Sports Car Clubs but I believe they collapsed several years ago. Some have suggested that CDC could bring together the numerous, smaller clubs in the DC region to help amortize the cost of using an expensive venue like FedEx Field. The challenge is getting all the clubs to agree to work together under a common set of operational rules and with CDC having ultimate authority for running the event. I'm not sure PCA, BMWCCA, and others are open and willing to that idea. The local Mercedes-Benz Club clearly likes doing their own thing. Then there is the question of whether we are capable of organizing such a large event. And how do we do that without loosing the small club friendly feel of CDC? SCCA has full-time, professional staff and they have professional equipment. We could make do with the resources we have (well, maybe need a few more cones and work out the kinks with our timing system) but it would be a big challenge.

In my personal opinion, the biggest threat to our beloved sport is the lack of suitable/affordable venues in the DC area. What we really need is an angel investor to pay for the creation of our own, dedicated auto-x venue. We are accepting applications if you know anybody with $10M burning a hole in their pocket.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

JoeTR6 wrote:t might not hurt to check on the cost of a smaller lot.
My understanding is that the parking lot fee at FedEx is what it is regardless of whether you're using the "big" parking lot or one of the "smaller" parking lots.
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

I had a professional certification test on friday at the Kena temple in Fairfax (shriners). HUGE parking lot. Kind of narrow, but very autocrossable, and centrally located. I don't know if anyone has ever looked into it.

9001 Arlington blvd Fairfax, VA 22031

I'm not sure who would need to be contacted. Their website...

http://www.kena.org/
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

What happened to the Sykesville idea? If it's just a matter of getting people to set up, I would gladly show up there by 7am to help, and I am sure I could recruit others. If it's a viable opportunity, and we just have to sort out the details, we might as well give it a try and see how it goes.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

I like Sykesville too, it's big, open, great for spectating. I'd also be happy to help set up early.
FredK
JoeTR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

mla163 wrote:I had a professional certification test on friday at the Kena temple in Fairfax (shriners). HUGE parking lot. Kind of narrow, but very autocrossable, and centrally located. I don't know if anyone has ever looked into it.
Interesting, I lived near there at one time and never knew that lot existed. The main part of the lot is 400'x150'. The part that narrows adds maybe another 200' of usable space. Overall, it would be like the old James Woods HS lot in Winchester. My guess is the Fairfax police would shut us down, with or without a call from the neighboring houses. Who knows, maybe the Shriners are strapped for cash.
Rice & Gravy
Car: '05 Forester XT - Black
CDC Member#: 340

Post by Rice & Gravy »

Sure would be nice if BSR and Summit Point cleared a big piece of land and paved it to rent out for autox use. They are doing all that other work out there now, hmm, wonder if they have a suggestion box. :)
-Steve
smetzger
Car: 09 Miata - Red
CDC Member#: 426

Post by smetzger »

I like the Sykesville site also. Of course I am in Laurel.

My church has a decent size lot.
8200 Old Columbia Road, Fulton MD

Its set up a little weird so someone who does course design would need take a look at it. There are islands of grass instead of parking blocks. But its fairly wide and doesn't have many light posts, and since its grass you could set up close to it. It would need to be a 'loopy' course, but the two events I went to were both very loopy.

Google doesn't have an aerial image, but mapquest does...
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/8200+Old+C ... :f:EN:M:/e

Let me know if you want me to inquire about using the lot.
scottcmetzger at gmail dot com
echan
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

smetzger wrote: There are islands of grass instead of parking blocks.
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the link and see what you mean about the islands. The problem is that we want to always stay a minimum of 25 feet away from any curb (preferably more), which doesn't allow us with any room.

Joe Macinnes is checking another lot in Frederick. I am trying to get another lot in VA, which we should be able to get. However, it may not pan out until next season.

Ed
smetzger
Car: 09 Miata - Red
CDC Member#: 426

Post by smetzger »

Ah, but there is no curb. It goes directly to grass.
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

Didn't know if you were still interested in new places, but what about Martin State Airport? http://www.martinstateairport.com/ in Essex, MD?

Box 1, 701 Wilson Point Road, Baltimore, MD 21220
Phone (410) 682-8800
Fax (410) 682-8822
Toll Free 1-800-I Fly BWI (435 9294)
Email: cbaublitz@martinstateairport.com

I haven't called them, but I remember that they have huge parking lots that are almost never used.
-- Jason