Winchester July 26th Results

Parking lots and traffic cones.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Winchester July 26th Results

Post by BugBomb »

Let me know if you see any issues either by posting here or sending me a private message.

July 26th Results

All recorded runs can be seen here.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
Silver_Surfer
Car: 2006 Exige
CDC Member#: 682

Re: Winchester July 26th Results

Post by Silver_Surfer »

Thanks for the quick results!! That was a pretty tricky course, but it was really fun once I figured it out. I didn't know I hit a cone my last run though :x !
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Thanks for the quick results!

I really enjoyed the day. Lots fun and it seemed that everyone had fun. If others have any feedback, please post.

Ed
JayPar
Car: '96 Gray Miata (LATRL G)
CDC Member#: 96

Post by JayPar »

Mike, thanks for getting the results out so quickly. And thanks to all of the organizers for another enjoyable event.

It was a fun course, and it was nice that it was so long and maximized the lot, though I'm glad I got a chance to ride as a passenger several times before driving. Safety could have been an issue with the crossovers on the end part, but fortunately nothing bad happened.

I couldn't have articulated this yesterday, but this course featured 5 decreasing-radius sweepers and trail braking helped me on all of them to curl tighter around the sharper part after entering the sweeper fairly fast with a fairly tight line.

Here's my 49.2 run, which was my 9th run:

http://youtu.be/C-of5BdNZ0Q
vettegirl
Car: 1996 Miata, 2011 Corvette
CDC Member#: 963

Post by vettegirl »

What a fun course, definitely a work out for my little pea brain. But I needed that, last time at Winchester I was finding it very difficult to focus, yesterday, I focused on focusing! and doing that I managed to get through the morning runs without going off course, not fast, but at least mostly clean. It forced me to look ahead, something I'm not good at.

Another well-run event, and yummy food.

Mike, thanks for the quick results post. Your computer skills seem to mirror your driving skills - fast and accurate!
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

I admit I griped a bit about the course in the morning. But I like to give Larry s*!^. Honestly, it was a great course. Bravo for trying something different, stretching out a normal 30 second lot to 50+ second runs. And we finished in a relatively decent time. I'd like to see more courses like this. Challenging, truly technical, and fast if driven right.

Just a couple suggestions. I heard multiple false cone/dnf calls when I worked. IE a cone was center punched and course worker called it a dnf. Perhaps splitting up the newbies would help. Probably would help them too to understand autox more to be paired with someone more experience. Not sure if its said in the newb meeting, but something like don't work with friends who are also new. Kinda natural for them to group together. Also CDC used to have the course designer lead the course walk right after driver meeting. I understand Larry is fat and doesn't move well (before you feel bad for him, i'm only giving back what he's already dished out). But it would be great to have someone show us the layout of the course when it's not something that you can just read by looking at it.
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

The course was very fun and technical; kudos to Larry on the creativity.

I agree on pairing folks new to autocrossing with course workers who are more experienced.

Perhaps we should suggest that course workers spread out, within reason, to better cover the course, especially at winchester which is long and narrow. If workers put maybe 20-30 feet between each other, it allows for faster cone resets, and you can still "watch out for the other guy".
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
Jim Harris

Post by Jim Harris »

I already passed on some feedback verbally. Some observations...

A number of experienced drivers were off course repeatedly. Not to mention the inexperienced drivers.

At least one experienced driver, me, THOUGHT he was off course even when he was ON course, and gave up, slowing down or running over cones because the run was thought to be lost. I don't think I ever had this happen before; I had no normal runs.

There were too many cones in the field of vision that were not actually in play. This was a problem mostly in the last three-four gates; the first 85 percent of the course was actually quite good.

A lot of us couldn't read the time display at all. I caught it once I think.

The flat screen display, near the timing tent, was located where the drivers couldn't check it, because the hot grid was at the end of the lot. Plus it was hard to hear the PA, given the hot grid location. Combining these factors, a few of us had no idea if we were on course or not, nor any idea what our times were, until we checked between heats.

All of this is fixable, of course.

Jim
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

Probably your most exciting course ever, Larry. Some scary moments after the cross-over with faster cars getting a little close to slower cars. Maybe have somebody on the second half of the course let Start know when to release the next car? Really enjoyed driving this challenging course! Thanks to all:-)
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran