TIRES

Parking lots and traffic cones.
ferris

Re: TIRES

Post by ferris »

JayPar wrote:
v10climber wrote:You sure on those spring rates? Didn't Ed York set the car up? If so that's backwards from every other miata I've ever seen. Unless someone goofed and accidentally put the front springs on the rear of the car. Jesus christ that car is going to be fast if you get the spring rates sorted...

PM me if you want to talk about setup for 275s. I've been trying to talk Caitlin into CSP for a while now :lol:
The spring rates haven't changed since we bought the car. The original ad from Jeff Suway (which I still have) said 550F / 375R, but the numbers on the rear are quite clear (0600.250.0500) which is apparently 6 inches length, 2.5 inches diameter, and a 500 lb/in spring rate. The numbers on the front are less legible, but say: 150.64.66 (the first 6 and the last 6 could be 8's, but the other digits are clear.) From looking this up on the web, the numbers appear to be metric units, but the 66 means 6.6 kg/mm which corresponds to 370 lb / in. When we did the engine swap from Ed York's friend's ITA car, we were also going to buy the suspension off of that car (which had 700/400 lb springs) but he said our springs were heavier. We suspect he just looked at the rears and assumed that the fronts would also be heavier.

I ordered some Xida (gen 2)'s with 800 / 500 lb springs. Just need to wait several months for them to be built. :-( Hopefully they won't be too stiff, but we'll see.

Regarding CSP vs. DP, I have a moral objection to adding an interior to a beautiful stripped car just to meet CSP rules... but I might be convinced otherwise. We were talking with Brian Garfield about this suspension stuff and got the impression that he might be considering a move to DP since there's less competition nationally.

WOW!!! Sorry guys ... I cannot find the e-mail from the CL person I bought that setup from, but he was/is a track day guy who said he wanted to upgrade to something better for the track. I trusted him and never even checked the springs.

Good luck
JayPar
Car: '96 Gray Miata (LATRL G)
CDC Member#: 96

Post by JayPar »

Jeff, no problem. It's interesting to hear one more piece of its history. The car has been great. Denise and I like to tinker with things anyway...this just gave us an excuse.

Jared, I was thinking 15 x 10's but they seem hard to find (in stock).
kboyer47

Post by kboyer47 »

So just an update, I picked up a set of Kosei k1s today in 15x8.... It seems the popular tire size is 225 45 15. Which fits with no problem it's just a lot smaller then the stock 195 55 16. I have tried to research what is the best tire size for the 15x8 205 225 235 realizing I'll have greater grip with a larger sidewall but a lack of responsiveness I'm ok with that. What have people had luck with? And thank you all for the educated tire responses I learned a good bit from that.
ferris

Post by ferris »

I just ordered some Rivals from tirerack. They are running an $80 coupon, making them cheaper than the closeout ZII's!!

I had trouble finding any tire cheaper and all my local shops couldn't even come close to matching the shipped tirerack price.
ferris

Post by ferris »

JayPar wrote:Jeff, no problem. It's interesting to hear one more piece of its history. The car has been great. Denise and I like to tinker with things anyway...this just gave us an excuse.

Jared, I was thinking 15 x 10's but they seem hard to find (in stock).
At some point I had Diamond Racing 13x9's If you get the correct offset, they clear the 1.8 calipers. I'm sure you could find some cheap diamond racing wheels in whatever size you want.
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

i like to run 205's on an 8" wide wheels. Extra contact patch and sidewall stability and pressure stability.
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/