INDEX SYSTEM

Parking lots and traffic cones.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Re: INDEX SYSTEM

Post by kyle.bowker »

smetzger wrote:It looks complex, but is not really. All you need is the cars class and the associated index. Then you can calulate adjusted time and sort and group however you want.
You suggested we keep track of at least 3, and possibly as many as 6 different schemes for calculating results, one of which has 15+ different classifications of its own. That is too complex.
smetzger wrote:Even if I prepped my car to the limit of the rules in SM it still would not be competitive.
Exactly. Adopting an SCCA-based index at CDC would not change that fact. This was one of Ed's big complaints with SCCA back when he first started racing his TR6.
The SCCA system has its faults but it is a system that has been thought out and tested and easy to implement.
Yes, the SCCA system has it's own faults just as any scorekeeping system has pros/cons. Despite their comprehensive GCR and Solo Rulebook it is not that easy for our club to simply adopt their system or even a modified version of their system. While all auto-x clubs face some similar challenges, CDC has issues that are unique to our club and we are trying to develop our niche, not compete with SCCA on a commodity basis.
smetzger
Car: 09 Miata - Red
CDC Member#: 426

Re: INDEX SYSTEM

Post by smetzger »

kyle.bowker wrote:
smetzger wrote:It looks complex, but is not really. All you need is the cars class and the associated index. Then you can calulate adjusted time and sort and group however you want.
You suggested we keep track of at least 3, and possibly as many as 6 different schemes for calculating results, one of which has 15+ different classifications of its own. That is too complex.
Actually all you would need to know is RAW time and the Indexed time(which is derived and really the same as class). Very few calculations involved. Then you just group however you want, don't need to use all 6. Just whichever ones you want to.

I agree with all of your other points. Just not the complexity of _using_ the SCCA class and indexd system. From the comments it does not seem like a wise decision to move fully to a SCCA based index system in one fell swoop.

So, I am assuming this years 'system' will be similar or identical to last years? I look forward to finding out what it is.

Thanks,
Scott