Results for June 18th at Winchester

Parking lots and traffic cones.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Results for June 18th at Winchester

Post by BugBomb »

If you see any issues, let me know by sending me a PM or posting in this thread.

June 18th 2016 Winchester Results
To sort/filter the results as you like, click anywhere on the lower portion of the results sheet, go up to the Filter icon next to the printer icon on the toolbar, and select "Create new temporary filter view." This will let you sort the results any way you want (By Index time, By specific Class, PAX Time, etc.)

All recorded runs will be posted after I get the timing equipment back (later this week). Look for the championship tab to be updated around then, too.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
matt270avian

Re: Results for June 18th at Winchester

Post by matt270avian »

I did horrible :oops:
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

The gentleman in the White long sleeve shirt. Was he a national champion?
DriftSS
CDC Member#: 126

Post by DriftSS »

Jack is a regional class champion (DC Region of SCCA). There are several other regional class champs that run CDC. Mike Moran and Brian Karwan are the only national SCCA champions that routinely run at CDC (with Larry Casey and a few others competing nationally and placing very near the top).
Stephen Catlin
#126 2008 Black Corvette Z06 :)
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

Thank you!

Im getting very close to a point where i will definitely need some one else to drive the car. Wish i could borrow Jack for each event very helpful!
DriftSS

Post by DriftSS »

What car do you drive? Maybe I can run it at the next event (assuming I'll be in town on the 2nd). I'd actually enjoy giving my Vette a rest. Its been driven hard the last 2 weeks running Cumberland and Winchester and needs some maintenance and parts swapping for upcoming track days in July.

Stephen Catlin
#126 2008 Black Corvette Z06
Stephen Catlin
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

DriftSS wrote:What car do you drive? Maybe I can run it at the next event (assuming I'll be in town on the 2nd). I'd actually enjoy giving my Vette a rest. Its been driven hard the last 2 weeks running Cumberland and Winchester and needs some maintenance and parts swapping for upcoming track days in July.

Stephen Catlin
#126 2008 Black Corvette Z06
Its the White e30 driver # 102. I actually will not be at the next event. and i need to produce a solution for the rear camber adjustment bolts coming loose. (worse case i will just tack weld them in place)

Ive been driving e30's for about 14 years now. This winter I have installed a brand new suspension setup. Ground control SA, new tire/wheel combo, and brakes, stock sway bars (was holding off on this until i determine i need them. and the corner balance put it at about 50.2%/49.8% irrc.) I am pretty close to the owner of VAC and he provided some alignment specs that made a world a difference. Just need the alignment to stay for more then 2 events.

I feel i have almost relearned the car however i am not sure if im pushing it as fast as it can go.
DriftSS

Post by DriftSS »

I'd be happy to take your E30 for a spin some day and see its potential and give you some feedback. Its fun to hop into a different ride.
Stephen Catlin
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

Stephen,

do you have any videos from the this event?
DriftSS

Post by DriftSS »

I personally don't. Its become more of a distraction during an event. I used to when my Harry's Lap Timer app synced better, but its been failing lately when I mount on my harness bar (where I can't tell if on or off) and when I suction cup mount my cell phone to the front window it makes a glaring obstruction to visibility and sometimes falls off.

I don't really learn much from the in-car anyway. Back in the day 2 of us had near identical camaros and we used to sync our runs to see where we were making up/losing time on each other. It was very helpful to demonstrate, for example, how coming into a corner hot could get a momentary gain, but a smoother tighter and slower corner entry that set up better for a quicker acceleration out of the corner would win out by the end of the next straight.

I'd rather have someone record me from a distance. Better perspective of line, speed and car dynamics. Think a friend of mine recorded an afternoon run Saturday on their ipad (likely my sloppy 44.2 run with some cones instead of my 44.77 FTD run). I'd like to have had a video of my 1st, 2nd and 5 runs though for side by side comparisons (45.10, 45.11, 45.11) because I was trying subtle different things but the net result was a complete wash those runs. Was at Winchester a couple years ago and had all 6 runs within 0.1 seconds. Something about that lot.

I am thinking about getting a go pro though so I can either get a better roof perspective or run on my rear quarter panels since I seem to clip lots of cones with the rear of this Vette gauging its width and track (didn't have that problem with the 3rd and 4th gen Camaros I ran but also daily drove more).
Stephen Catlin
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

I hear ya it is very distracting and is a good amount of additional work to think about.

here is my video from the last event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2DDkFu7DS0

I personally like to see how smooth my steering inputs are, am i clipping the cones, throttle input, brake input.
Reviewing this i see where i could have held the throttle longer and braked later and hugged the cones more.
DriftSS

Post by DriftSS »

A few constructive comments on the videos Euro.

1st - you are a long way from the cones through the slaloms and corners. If you didn't have a small E30 that would hurt you exponentially more. You are giving up a lot of time there with a longer and wider line. You could also push quite a bit harder through the gates in the tighter 180 turn around sections. This is where the narrow short E30 has an advantage over many other cars and you need to use it.

2nd - suspension needs some tweaking. You aren't pushing overly hard through most of the course so it hard to gauge the handling, but from the last left-hander before the finish its clear that your rear end is set up wrong. You have zero lateral and forward bite off that corner for having Rival tires. Could be too stiff of springs, too much body roll, or your rear toe is way off from the adjustable linkage being loose or broken. Power off the corner is a huge key to autocross since the straights are so short. Think I read somewhere on the forum that you still have stock bars. Given the upgrade in tires you are going to get much more body roll from that extra grip. A front bar might help to keep the car flatter and you could consider removing the rear bar to increase grip on that end or softening rear shocks if adjustable (or tweak your rear alignment if toe is off or excess camber).

3rd - look ahead and try to link the course together to be a little smoother. Each run gets better. Overall its pretty good and there is good car control skills handling the oversteer coming into the finish on your last run! However there is room for good improvement in knowing where your car corners are at so you can use up all of the course (full width of gates and up against slalom cones instead of running a center line), to stay on the power longer into and through slaloms with an E30, and carry more speed through the corners. Keep practicing and watching your videos to gauge improvement and what more you can do!
Stephen Catlin
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

1st - Completely Agree! I wish there was a way i could practice the slalom with the car.

2nd - Completely Agreed! given the rear was "broken" it didn't respond the way it did before (i cant remember but if the camber moved the toe defiantly moved or vise versa at this time i have to assume but were moving during the runs and throwing off a bunch). Correct no front bar at this time. On this one i had the shocks 100% firm. (a setting i have been playing with over the last few events)

3rd - Completely Agree! Looking ahead seems to be a bad trait i have, but as soon as i do it makes the course much easier. Was actually contemplating making a cd that just keeps repeating "look ahead look ahead look ahead "

"Overall its pretty good and there is good car control skills handling the oversteer coming into the finish on your last run! " Jack estimated i lost 1/2 second because of that.

to stay on the power longer into and through slaloms with an E30, and carry more speed through the corners. (correct i noticed this and during the event with jack i braked too early but was responding to his suggestions.)

I also did notice i wasnt pushing hard through the longer turns :(
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

As a side note its going back to york tonight to get locktite and a tack weld to see if that prevents them from loosening. thinking the powder coat reduction the amount of friction and caused a few issues.
DriftSS

Post by DriftSS »

Yes. Its hard to practice slaloming on the street. Just try to work on it during upcoming CDC events. Ed and the gang (workers at least) may hate me...but I'd try a drastic change at the next event and try to clip the edge of each cone with the front tire on the 1st and 2nd runs of the AM and then view your video and see how close you are actually getting. Same for inside gates. By "feeling" the hits you can actually make note of where the cones are since they will be blind from the driver's seat unless you are looking far ahead and know the path of the car. Then you can dial it back out a few inches for the PM runs. Might be better for a test and tune strategy.

Also, if you go to Tractor Supply, HD or Lowes and buy a couple cones (not cheap) you can practice low speed driving in a parking lot (regular parking lot speed) to get a visual feel for where the cones are on the left and right sides of your car. Same thing as above, try to get as close as possible and clip so you can tell when you are actually there. Video footage would be great, particularly for the right side of the car. Also helps to lower the side mirrors so they can see the rear tires. If you want to get creative you can tape a yard stick sticking out of the cones so you can see the position from the driver's seat until you get more comfortable.

Good luck with the suspension.
Stephen Catlin
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

DriftSS wrote: Also, if you go to Tractor Supply, HD or Lowes and buy a couple cones (not cheap) you can practice low speed driving in a parking lot (regular parking lot speed) to get a visual feel for where the cones are on the left and right sides of your car. Same thing as above, try to get as close as possible and clip so you can tell when you are actually there. Video footage would be great, particularly for the right side of the car. Also helps to lower the side mirrors so they can see the rear tires. If you want to get creative you can tape a yard stick sticking out of the cones so you can see the position from the driver's seat until you get more comfortable.
If you live near Springfield, VA I can even lend you several cones for you to practice. There's a commuter lot nearby, that you might be able to use to practice. My guess is that if you keep it slow, no one will bother you.

Ed
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

Thanks guys, Thats kinda what i was thinking. I may just snag some cones from wallyworld. I did think if you put the cones close enough it will keep the speed low and acceptable.

Thank you Ed, however im in Frederick and not heading down there for a few more months.
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

How often does everyone check or get an alignment? It seems the front also moved as well.
DriftSS

Post by DriftSS »

I get one yearly. If quality components and tightened competently by the shop it shouldn't move much without lots of potholes, curbs, etc., even with sticky tires. However, sticky tires do tend to wear out tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, etc., which can impact alignment. After two light seasons I had to replace all of the above. Not sure what you have on your car but much of the lower $ aftermarket adjustable components are just junk and need to be thrown away. My son bought a couple cheap sets of front camber kits and rear adj. control arms and everything slipped or had slop and couldn't be tightened enough to handle even street driving. If it came from Ebay or China I wouldn't trust it.
Stephen Catlin
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

Everything was replaced with quality oem parts and ground control coilover's. didnt skimp out but i did take down town dc to come back from waldorf twice :( thinking the few pot holes screwed it up.

But here is an interesting photo or three from last fall to this spring comparing body roll lol.

2.16° of visual roll
ImageDSC09893 by euro2fast4u, on Flickr

5.04° of visual roll
Imagee30 track day 2 by euro2fast4u, on Flickr

What ever this one is.
Imagee30 track day by euro2fast4u, on Flickr
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

The last photo has a visual roll angle of 6.18°
mrejda

Post by mrejda »

ImageCDC06182016-09897 by Michael Rejda, on Flickr
Here's one from a the back - love that custom plate!
Rest of meager set here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/bud_lish/7aYF6S
I ran two heats so not much variety.
euro2fast4u

Post by euro2fast4u »

and that photo has a loose rear end hahha