Course Maps

Parking lots and traffic cones.
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Course Maps

Post by wrathe74 »

I've only been a member a short time, I apologize if this is already been discussed.

I'm going to assume that the course maps are not drawn from scratch for every event. Could we add a course maps section with id and pics? Course can be identified for the upcoming event?
-- Jason
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Re: Course Maps

Post by kyle.bowker »

Generally, the course designs are planned out approximately a week in advance but they are really just a rough sketch. They often incorporate recurring design themes and sometimes we will run the same course twice in one year if it was really good. But there are so many variables that influence the course design and it cannot be finalized until the morning of the event as the cones are actually being laid out and the course takes shape. Often times the course is adjusted for running time or to allow a greater safety margin around obstructions. Accordingly, there is little value to posting a diagram of a prospective course design that will most likely be different than the course you will actually drive. Arriving "blind" puts you at the same disadvantage as everyone else. I think one of the more enjoyable aspects of auto-x is that you have to learn the course during the walk through and then give it your best shot. Joe S. has been working on a driving simulator for the PC that would allow you to practice virtual auto-x courses but I don't know if/when it will be ready for prime time.

Are you new to auto-x as well? I find that many new autocrossers have a hard time negotiating the course as it appears to be a sea of cones. With practice it will become natural and you will be able to pick out the best driving line.
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Re: Course Maps

Post by wrathe74 »

Kyle,

Thank you for the followup. Yes, i'm new to Auto-X and racing for that matter; only one event so far (August 30). It was a lot of fun, but you are correct, I was focusing a lot on just trying to not get lost (even though I think that course was laid out a lot more driver friendly than the courses in Frederick) and getting used to how fast the turns come at you - looks slower when your only watching :) .
-- Jason