Fiat 500e ok to run?

Parking lots and traffic cones.
joe149

Fiat 500e ok to run?

Post by joe149 »

Hello all!

I've just moved to Northern Virginia from Portland Oregon, and brought my Fiat 500e - that's an all-electric car just to be clear. Any reason I can't run it in autocross? I think it would be a hoot given the strong torque it generates at low speeds along with super-skinny tires (I can see burning up the stock tires pretty fast...).

Of course, given range issues, I'd have to tow the car to events...

So - any comments?

Also, if anyone has a set of nice Fiat 500 Abarth wheels/tires they'd be willing to lend me, I'd be happy to pay for wear on them, and we could share the car for a day.

Joe Elwell
Fairfax, VA
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Re: Fiat 500e ok to run?

Post by echan »

Joe,

The electric part isn't the issue. The issue with 500s is the possible tip over due to narrow track and high center of gravity, which may be magnified with sticky tires.

Having said that, we've had many 500s participate at our events all with the condition that if the car exhibits unsafe behavior, we will stop the car and not let it continue and to date, I don't recall any 500 being an issue.

My guess is that with the heavy battery pack in the 500E the center of gravity may be even lower than the gas version, which will only improve the ability for the vehicle not to rollover.

Ed
Apexcarver

Post by Apexcarver »

An example of what "unsafe" can mean...

(╯°□°)╯︵|> ____________________ Joseph O.
JayPar
Car: '96 Gray Miata (LATRL G)
CDC Member#: 96

Post by JayPar »

Any background info on that photo, Joe? Did it hit something, go off the track and re enter? Or is that just speed plus concrete?
heloc

Post by heloc »

This is the article I found linked to that photo, obviously, not about the Saturn in the photo.
heloc

Post by heloc »

This is the article linked to the photo, obviously, not about the Saturn in the photo.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/0 ... want-know/
joe149

Post by joe149 »

I didn't post the photo :-)
joe149

Post by joe149 »

Ed - thanks very much for the thorough reply! Yep - tipover of some of these newer cars could really be an issue, but as you point out I imagine my battery will help a lot. If it looks at all unstable, I'd be fine with your telling me I can't run it.
best,
Joe
EG6HOON

Post by EG6HOON »

Since you mentioned tire wear, how long does a fresh set of tires normally last(1 season - 2 season).
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

EG6HOON wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:48 pm Since you mentioned tire wear, how long does a fresh set of tires normally last(1 season - 2 season).
Depends on the tire and how you drive them, along with the car (heavy or light). My guess is that with performance street tires, you should get at least 2 years.
Apexcarver

Post by Apexcarver »

JayPar wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:53 pm Any background info on that photo, Joe? Did it hit something, go off the track and re enter? Or is that just speed plus concrete?
Softly sprung with R-compound tires on concrete. If I recall correctly, that was a stock class autocross car (before the 200tw rule) that in an back and forth element was able to generate enough of a dynamic tipping moment to come VERY close to a rollover.

That isnt a broken car, just a whole lot of grip with enough suspension movement and a high enough CG.
(╯°□°)╯︵|> ____________________ Joseph O.