Test n tune

Parking lots and traffic cones.
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Test n tune

Post by FredK »

Well it all turned out to be a great time at the test n tune yesterday, despite some unusual challenges presented to the club organizers. It was alot of fun seeing all the Sunbeams, particularly seeing their smokey little tailpipes heading away from Frederick.

It was an interesting day, but really was fun for everyone who stayed around.
Fredk
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Re: Test n tune

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

Sorry I missed the car-swapping experiment. Sounds like it was more fun for you than Larry.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

The Sunbeam experiment was definitely challenging in many ways, but the organizers did what they could with what they were given. The addition of an extra driver's meeting and walkthrough was costly for the schedule, and the group needed some more experienced folks helping with the coursework and instruction.

In fact, I think that heat desperately needed Richard to be present, just to help get the point across that empty cars don't move themselves and we are on a tight schedule.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
bouchon

Post by bouchon »

Thanks for the nice word Fred. It was not an easy organization considering the sun beam team came late in the morning, and the CDC team had to be flexible on the organization. Organizers included people like me that are not usually organizers (we missed Ed a lot though the other Ed did a great job) but a great number of people volunteered to help overall. It turned out pretty nicely.

And for me... great improvement. Val
FredK wrote:Well it all turned out to be a great time at the test n tune yesterday, despite some unusual challenges presented to the club organizers. It was alot of fun seeing all the Sunbeams, particularly seeing their smokey little tailpipes heading away from Frederick.

It was an interesting day, but really was fun for everyone who stayed around.
Fredk
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

A thank you to all the club organizers; I had a really great time - I tried to stay for the second half but unfortunately I couldn't.

Francois helped me a great deal with my driving - thank you so much!
Mae was doing a great job announcing, and making it more lively during the runs - I always enjoy her comments. :)

Sorry if I mis-spelled any names...still learning the whose-who. :oops:
-- Jason
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Thank you all for your patience on Sunday. I figured with the Sunbeams running late, heck, whatever the majority wanted to do....let's do it. :D

Ideally, they would've been there earlier and made the driver's meeting and walkthrough. That would've cut down on some of the down time and made my grill-timing more spot on. I tried to guesstimate when the 1st heat would've finished up, so you all could have plenty of fresh grilled food without waiting 15 minutes for sausage. :lol: However, I think some of them were well-done.

So, to wrap things up: things went fairly well. Not too shabby for $25, eh? We got in 10 runs if you stuck around. Fred Kelly (not Wade) just beat out Laurence Casey (not Ben Lambiotte). The Sunbeams were gorgeous cars. I don't think any of the owners are going to drop tons of money to beef up the suspension, tires, etc....but it'd be neat to see a true vintage series shootout!

Mei is an excellent announcer - agreed! She and Mehr both do a fantastic job.

I personally would like to thank the other organizers that helped out. Without them, the event wouldn't have run as smoothly as it did. Also, for those participants that pitched in as well, especially Dan for helping Slava tech the late folks, Jason - unloading the truck, the folks that helped instruct, the Morans, and all you folks that pitched in at the end to help pack up....gracias! It makes our day go smoother. We really appreciate all the help we can get.

Note to self: next time, print out some darn notes for the driver's meeting. Dave Valeri and I had some last season...but I didn't bring them. I suck.