Want to get into this

Parking lots and traffic cones.
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Want to get into this

Post by Claff »

The last time I autocrossed was in 1990 and I drove a 1977 Honda Civic. So it's been a while.

It's something I've kicked around getting back into for a few years now. I inquired a few years back when I had a Tiburon but never followed through.

Now me and the missus have managed to acquire some Miatas and again I'm leaning towards joining your low-key fun. Don't know if it'll be this weekend till I see how the wife has things scheduled but you never know.

It'd be interesting to see which car stacks up to be more fun to run, the stripped '90 or the '99 luxo boat, although the '99 has an autox pedigree under its previous owner. The wife is shopping for a Mazdaspeed Miata.

If I don't sign up to run this weekend we might swing by just to check things out since we're not that far from Bowie.

Hope you don't mind some old new blood.
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Re: Want to get into this

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

Just sign up and do it! If you go just to watch, you'll kick yourself all day for not running.
DaveL20
Car: 2001 Ford Focus
CDC Member#: 189

Post by DaveL20 »

CDC is one of the best organizations to join and come out to just have fun.

No pressure. No one yelling at you. Unless Richard shows up and you cannot follow basic directions.

Fun, Low Key and relatively inexpensive.
Ourisman Chrysler Dodge Jeep
2009 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Under Champion
2010 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Over Champion
Money can't buy you love but it can buy lots and lots of horsepower.
FamilyTruckster
Car: 89&90 Country Squire
CDC Member#: 206

Post by FamilyTruckster »

Doesn't matter what you run as long as you run!

Look at what I ran!
Mike, the guy with the big woody wagon #206
http://youtube.com/profile?user=FamilyTruckster
JoeTR6
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

Come on out just to talk to some people and get a few rides in various cars. We usually have a bunch of Miatas, and there are many other fun cars (the fastest is usually a *slightly* modified Civic). I'll be driving a MazdaSpeed or a MINI.
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

Holy cow that wagon is epic.

Many years ago the local car club (this is up in western Mass.) had an autocross where the guys made a pact to keep their MGBs and X1/9s home and instead bring the family cars. So instead of the fun stuff my dad and the others were flogging their full-size Chevy wagons and Cutlass sedans with their whitewall tires. I recall they only did it once so it must have not gone over all that well.

Since this weekend's activities are still up in the air here (waiting on paperwork for the new-to-us car), can a first-timer sign up the morning of the event at the event?
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

Per the FAQ, our ability to accommodate walk-ons is limited. We might be able to take you, we might not. It depends on how many people sign up and how many no shows there are. More often than not we have to turn people away because our events are sold out so don't count on being able to show up at 8am and get in. But don't let that deter you from showing up anyways! Given the nature of our score keeping system and the administrative burden associated with walk-ons, we'd prefer that participants sign up in advance using the online reservation system. Just tell the wife you're preoccupied on Saturday and sign up for our last event of the year. You'll be kicking yourself all winter long if you miss it.
FamilyTruckster
Car: 89&90 Country Squire
CDC Member#: 206

Post by FamilyTruckster »

Claff wrote:Holy cow that wagon is epic.

Many years ago the local car club (this is up in western Mass.) had an autocross where the guys made a pact to keep their MGBs and X1/9s home and instead bring the family cars. So instead of the fun stuff my dad and the others were flogging their full-size Chevy wagons and Cutlass sedans with their whitewall tires. I recall they only did it once so it must have not gone over all that well.

Since this weekend's activities are still up in the air here (waiting on paperwork for the new-to-us car), can a first-timer sign up the morning of the event at the event?

Pics are nice... Vid is better!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peCEfsr2NOU

That's without the latest handling mods. :)
Mike, the guy with the big woody wagon #206
http://youtube.com/profile?user=FamilyTruckster
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Claff wrote:Since this weekend's activities are still up in the air here (waiting on paperwork for the new-to-us car), can a first-timer sign up the morning of the event at the event?
This Saturday's event isn't full so you can probably get in as a walk-on. However to make it easy for us with paper work, just make a reservation so that you'll already be on the roster and a timesheet will be ready for you. Since the event isn't full, you won't be taking a spot from someone else, if you can't make it.

Ed