Six CDC Autocrosses at Summit Point in 2009

Parking lots and traffic cones.
NAautoxer
Car: 1991 Honda Civic Si
CDC Member#: 0

Re: Six CDC Autocrosses at Summit Point in 2009

Post by NAautoxer »

Tedzilla wrote:I was there Sat morning for a couple of hours before BMWCCA got there. It was wet, just above freezing and very dirty. There's a lot of work that needs to be done. It's not ready for autocross but it should be by April 18th.

Ted

that sounds perfect for an autocross... well, everything but the freezing part. hahahaa.
nlink720

Post by nlink720 »

That was me driving in the video... I was wondering where all the video hits were coming from.

Anyway, we were trying to get the course to be about 90 seconds under that day's conditions (cold, dusty, wet, muddy) so that on a hot summer day it would still be above a minute in length.

We concluded that two cars could run simultaneously without problem, but it's all in the setup. The video is a BMW Z4 with winter tires on and the course was dusty above all else... it made the last half difficult... easy to lose traction. People were doing 360s through the finish gates.

Above all else, the biggest drawback is that people will have to be cautious not to run off the course and into the dirt. I was there during a different event mid December at the other skid pad when someone ran off this new one and had to be towed from the soft ground.. took a long time, we waited for over an hour to see if they would be able to get the dude's car out.

The skid pad project manager (I think the owner's son) said that it would be done within about two months. It will have racing curbing on the outside and inside perimeters of all pavement (two foot racing curbing). He is a cool dude who seems to be happy the various clubs are taking interest.

Also, there is a great view from the top of the hill just behind it.

Trust me, you WILL have fun if you have any doubts... especially coming from the typically smaller venues that CDC drives, this WILL BE A BIG DEAL.

NL
Ben L
Car: FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
CDC Member#: 20

Post by Ben L »

This is big news!

It will be great to have another relatively long venue to run on.

Good job CDC organizers!

I'll make as many of these as I can.
Ben Lambiotte
FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
363 ci Ford Racing Boss Stroker
CDC No. 20
ButtDyno
Car: 2006 Evo MR | 1999 ///M3
CDC Member#: 199

Post by ButtDyno »

Beepbeep wrote:Kodos to you Ed and your team.
Autocross. Serious business.
project:BDR
Unofficial CDC PAX Results page
Cobra 75
Car: '65 Cobra, '89 Mustang
CDC Member#: 0

Post by Cobra 75 »

Nice work... I hear the course will be huge. When can we register?
Scott Harrison
ImageImage
steve b
Car: 2006 Mini Cooper S
CDC Member#: 17

Post by steve b »

Ed, does this mean I can run some events with you guys in my ITB car?
Was fast in a slow car, now slow in a fast car
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

steve b wrote:Ed, does this mean I can run some events with you guys in my ITB car?
Possibly. Summit is requesting that we take out race insurance (same insurance as a track day, which is much different than our normal insurance for autox - and much more expensive). We are working it out with Summit. If we end up having to take out race insurance, your ITB car will be allowed.

Ed
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

First, race insurance for auto cross?? Makes no sense to me, but if it's required can I run my Lola?
echan

Post by echan »

FredK wrote:First, race insurance for auto cross?? Makes no sense to me, but if it's required can I run my Lola?
I'll let everyone know if we end up having to take out race insurance for Summit. If that's the case, yes you can take out your Lola (at Summit). Keep in mind that the insurance of for specific days so even if we had to take our race insurance, it would only be for Summit not any other location.
FredK

Post by FredK »

Great the lola is 1.6L na.
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

If only it was on the approved list :)

I'm thinking if it's a race car and can't be driven on the street, they probably aren't going to let you compete in the small bore series.
FredK

Post by FredK »

Ed likes me. O. K. I'll just park the Cobra and bring the Miata.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

Pics of said Lola?
FredK

Post by FredK »

This is a pic from an autocross I did last week in Australia, boy they have some sweet cars down there.
http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/lola/ ... 927lg.htms
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

FredK wrote:This is a pic from an autocross I did last week in Australia, boy they have some sweet cars down there.
:D always with the jokes haha
FredK

Post by FredK »

I'm iced in at "Kelley Acres" bored.
echan

Post by echan »

FredK wrote:I'm iced in at "Kelley Acres" bored.
When I heard of the pending ice yesterday, I put in my leave slip at work for today. I'm glad I took off. Last night I drove into my driveway and my car got stuck in the ice! I tried about 20 minutes to get out last night to get a burger at McDonald's. I made it out but when I got back home, the car just slid into the driveway. I haven't even tried to get out today!
TommySalami
Car: S2000
CDC Member#: 409

Post by TommySalami »

Would going off into the dirt pose any risk to our cars?
Gonz

Post by Gonz »

TommySalami wrote:Would going off into the dirt pose any risk to our cars?
probably just wheels, tires, suspension, oil pain and exhaust system if you went straight in. Probably "everything else" if you went in sideways and rolled the car. :x

The course will be designed so there is no more danger in going off the course than at the other locations. Safety is always tops. For example, at Bowie, we could have the lot be much much bigger if we used the bottom section, but we don't because of the 25 foot wide entry to the bottom, we didn't think was safe.
787B
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8

Post by 787B »

Gonz wrote:(...) For example, at Bowie, we could have the lot be much much bigger if we used the bottom section, but we don't because of the 25 foot wide entry to the bottom, we didn't think was safe.
Mazda Club used the lower area successfully without incident. They just put very (very!) tight box turns a sufficient distance from the crossovers to slow cars down and get them pointed in the right direction. Worked very well. None of those cones were knocked down all day, and nobody pegged a curb. I personally mutilated three cones elsewhere in the course that day... :roll:
Tedzilla
Car: '58 MGA Coupe '04 Porsche
CDC Member#: 1

Post by Tedzilla »

A number of clubs use the lower lot at Bowie and there have been a number of incidents with some considerable damage. As a course designer I'd love to use every inch of the lot... as a Safety Steward I can not have a car less than 25 feet from a solid obstruction when they're at normal autocross speed. There's no way less than 10 feet on either side is enough for a reasonable margin of error.

Ted
DaveL20
Car: 2001 Ford Focus
CDC Member#: 189

Post by DaveL20 »

EMRA is running Time Trials and Race School the same weekend you guys are at the AutoX course.

Time Trials are Saturday and Sunday at Shennandoah. Come over and watch or hang out if you get a chance.
Ourisman Chrysler Dodge Jeep
2009 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Under Champion
2010 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Over Champion
Money can't buy you love but it can buy lots and lots of horsepower.
787B
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8

Post by 787B »

That was the purpose of the box turns: Slow the cars down to almost walking speed before they are in any danger, and get them pointed through the crossovers. I understand if you don't think that's good enough.

Or maybe what about this: How about approaching the stadium and offering the labor to remove curbing from and landscape the couple of sections that would be used as crossovers. They don't take particularly good care of the lot as it is, and it's a bit fuzzy why those islands are even there. Maybe they wouldn't mind some third party renovation that makes a money-loser (empty parking lot) more attractive to more money-spending potential customers. Just a thought. I freely admit I know squat about the politics of securing lots.

- Bill
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

787B wrote:That was the purpose of the box turns: Slow the cars down to almost walking speed before they are in any danger, and get them pointed through the crossovers.
Still not good enough. Even with all of that people still manage to hit the curb. I seen it with mine own eyes. And it's happened on numerous occasions. What's even worse is that when other clubs take such risks it has a negative impact on us.
787B wrote:Or maybe what about this: How about approaching the stadium and offering the labor to remove curbing from and landscape the couple of sections that would be used as crossovers.
It'll never happen. If anything, current zoning regulations require MORE islands and curbs to manage storm run off. This is why virtually no new parking lots are built with an open plan these days.
787B wrote:I freely admit I know squat about the politics of securing lots.
You don't want to know the half of it!
Gonz

Post by Gonz »

787B wrote:That was the purpose of the box turns: Slow the cars down to almost walking speed before they are in any danger, and get them pointed through the crossovers. I understand if you don't think that's good enough.
" almost walking speed" doesn't belong on an AutoX course ! :)