Blue Crabs Stadium in Waldorf?

Parking lots and traffic cones.
etherpool
Car: 2004 Mini Cooper S
CDC Member#: 335

Blue Crabs Stadium in Waldorf?

Post by etherpool »

Anybody ever check out Blue Crabs Stadium in Waldorf as a possible place for events? I noticed that Autocrossers Inc. is running an event there this Sunday.
Cheers
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Re: Blue Crabs Stadium in Waldorf?

Post by FredK »

I'll let you know, but it's a long way from everywhere.
FredK
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

I used to work at Indian Head, MD and many of the employees either lived in NOVA or Waldorf/La Plata (I lived in Springfield/Annandale.). Those that lived in Waldorf, felt that Bowie was pretty close to them. However, those that live in NOVA feel that Waldorf is way too far, especially all the traffic going down Route 301 on a weekend.

I wouldn't be against the Blue Crab site, we just have a lot of events at Frederick, Summit, Bowie and about to secure a couple events in Woodbridge. I think between the autocrosses and TNTs, we will hold about 18 autocrosses (more than any other club). In addition, those that want track days, we've arrange to allow CDC members to use the Mercedes Club as a venue.

I can see in the future we may either use the Blue Crab stadium or the MD Police training grounds. We may, however, have to get more organizers that live up north or near Waldorf and get another set of equipment. Who knows, we may have to form CDC North to cater to Frederick, Summit, and Skysville, while CDC does Bowie, Woodbridge and Waldorf.
etherpool

Post by etherpool »

Works for me. Bowie is the only event on my side of the world. But since it's 5 min from my house I guess it makes up for the travel to the other three!! :D
etherpool

Post by etherpool »

FredK wrote:I'll let you know, but it's a long way from everywhere.
FredK

Well, what did you think?

I didn't run but I'll run the next one there. Lot looked smooth and the course seemed fast. Lots of space. May be a bit of a ride but for a nice big course it's worth it. Reminded me of a slightly smaller Aberdeen. Cobra's looked sick there!!:D
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

I was there saturday/sunday for an Evo school and an AI event. The course is pretty big and open. There are real bathrooms, no port a potties. The course slopes up in the middle, so there is a good place to watch the event. The asphalt is clean and new, and there are no random people walking on the course. It is not too far away, it's about 15 miles off of the beltway. It took me about 50 minutes from 66&495. The paddock can be set up in the grass to make the course bigger, which is not the best for anyone changing tires, but it's not terrible for those on street tires. There are no places for food in the immediate area, but Waldorf is about 4 miles away.

There is a skeet range nearby, and you can hear gunfire. So it's a lot like fedex. ;)

All in all, it's a little far but it's not a bad place for an event.
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

It was great. Not as bad a drive as I had expected, warm bathroom, nice size lot with spanky new asphalt. They ran 120 cars and it went quickly. First event there and they were still done by 3PM. The parking would be fine in the summer, a little damp Sunday. They couldn't use the upper lot for parking because of a ball game. With that lot available it will be even better.

Wade kicked my butt, so I'll probably never autocross again.
FredK
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

FredK wrote:
Wade kicked my butt, so I'll probably never autocross again.
FredK
LOL.....at least until you ditch the V710's in favor of some A6's.
:lol:
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

agreed. ran there this past sunday with AI. i really like the lot, its very smooth and fairly flat. larger than bowie and frederick lots. i only went to this past event to check it out. wasn't really planning on attending the other 2 AI events there this year because it's a bit of a drive for me but now i'm thinking it may be worth it.
etherpool

Post by etherpool »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:agreed. ran there this past sunday with AI. i really like the lot, its very smooth and fairly flat. larger than bowie and frederick lots. i only went to this past event to check it out. wasn't really planning on attending the other 2 AI events there this year because it's a bit of a drive for me but now i'm thinking it may be worth it.
You looked good out there. Think you came in well in the final standings.
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

Here's my in-car video from AI's event. You can get a good idea of the size of the lot and what it looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbJLiT0WQyU
moxnix
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata

Post by moxnix »

My video from the event is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7QvJLtnwxI