Format improvement ideas for Autocross day.

Parking lots and traffic cones.
Ben L
Car: FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
CDC Member#: 20

Re: Format improvement ideas for Autocross day.

Post by Ben L »

I think that is a good idea. It should relatively painless for the organizers, who have to go car by car and collect timesheets anyway at present.

The problem of slow show/no show workers is not getting any better, judging from the Woodbridge event. At least you could more readily idenitfy the offenders this way.
Ben Lambiotte
FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
363 ci Ford Racing Boss Stroker
CDC No. 20
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

I like it Jen! Sensible and not punitive while solving the problem with the least amount of drama. Also maybe make a point at the driver's meeting to point out that this a CLUB, not a service you pay for and as such requires us all to participate. Make the point that the entry fees actually pay for the lot, drinks, equipment, etc.... and do not buy a day at the autocross free of responsibilty. ( Sorry about the soapbox but this is something Frank and I have been talking about and I'm all riled up now)
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

Jen, great idea.

I love helping out and being involved, though it does bring down the joy when you have to work multiple heats in 1 event.

The first event my wife ever came with me I worked almost every heat in the afternoon (I offered to help-after almost 3 minutes of announcements of "where are the workers") ...it was not a good representation of how good this club has been, and can be. She has not wanted to return to a CDC event, which is sad because I know she would really enjoy riding along and have fun.
-- Jason
Mean
CDC Member#: 0

Post by Mean »

I have nothing against you guys being a little punitive about not making work assignments. You could toss out that person's times, prevent them from registering at the next event, etc. Has anyone ever asked a person who didn't show up to work why? Did they just forget? Are they running away on purpose? Just curious if it is intentional or accidental.

In terms of the heats, do you guys rotate them around so that the same folks are not always running in the same heats? I would be slightly bothered if I was perpetually in Heat 4. But if it rotates, then the pain is shared so no big deal.

That’s it from this non-member.

G
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

Speaking on my own here .... In order to be punitive there has to be accountability, which I think is what Jen's idea really helps solve, but still keeping the light, family atmosphere which is what CDC wants. Once they have something in place where its easy to identify individuals, then CDC can handle matters in a way that makes sense.

As for always running in the same heat...
If your newly registered, or this is your first event...unless you ask for something different, they will normally put you in 4th heat so you can have that much more time to grab some ride-alongs, meet people, and see the course in action. When signing up for the event, in the notes section, ask for a different heat, or instructor help, etc. ... They really do read these notes and try to take the requests into account where possible.

CDC does strive earnestly to make attending as much fun as possible and I think all of these threads lately about improvement are actually a good thing, it shows that CDC is growing and these are just some of the pains that come with new growth
-- Jason
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Non-members are typically placed in heats 4 and 3. One members tend to be placed in heats 1 and 2 (unless they are late in making their reservations). If you attend 3 or more events, you're much better off joining the club, saving money, making resevations early and getting earlier heats.

If it makes you feel any better, most of the organizers have to run in heats 3 and 4 also (exect the driving instructors).

It's hard to make it fair for everyone since most don't want to be in heat 4. If you notice, that heat is always poorly filled.
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

I like jen's idea. Seems to work the best with how cdc stages cars.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
ProDarwin
Car: Who knows?
CDC Member#: 242

Post by ProDarwin »

I like the idea, but I also heard it worded very simply on Saturday:

Report immediately to the timing tent after your morning runs. You will be handed your timesheet, and given a work assignment. If you don't show within an appropriate amount of time (2 mins from last run or so), your timesheet is ripped up and thrown away.

In the afternoon the same happens, except rather than hand the timesheet back to them, file it/do whatever it is that is done with good timesheets at the end of the day.
Travis
WRX11

Post by WRX11 »

Who's this Jen person?? :P

I happened to be at the timing tent when some of the PM heat A drivers from one heat, failed to work expeditiously.

Although we'd waited to announce the names of those who were not working, I have made notes on those offenders time sheets. I'll wait for the final decision and see what to do with their times.

The pit distance is not that far from the course and is paved, so there should be no excuses about can't making it back to work in time. If this continues to be a problem for the repeat offenders, CDC will take the appropriate actions.
leadfootgirl

Post by leadfootgirl »

Few thoughts from this newb:

Prepayment - would totally support this idea. However, the additional fees and administrative work may be a total pain for the organizers. Paypal charges additional fees for people who accept credit card/non-cash accounts -but I think it's in the neighborhood of 2%. I suggest a system for partial payment upon reserving but not showing. Prepay upon reservation, with a partial refund if you don't show. That way the club doesn't lose out entirely, and neither does the person reserving. A little financial incentive to encourage people to be responsible in communicating to the organizers if they aren't going to be there.

Drivers meetings are great for us new people. We get to figure out who the experienced/helpful people are, and generally get to see faces - and review safety stuff.

Showing up at 8 am to have your car checked - then sit until 12 or so is a bit of a downer. Also cuts into the lunch hour as the grill is opening for business and you're climbing in your car...:)

As for working -the last TNT - i honestly forgot I had to work after driving back to the paddock. I ended up in conversation with some people from other heats who were at their cars and Total Fail.

I took a bag of recycling out after the last TNT. It would be super helpful if people would empty their cans and bottles BEFORE throwing them in the bag. Maybe we should set out a recycle bag or two - and then whomever wants/volunteers to take it can do so?
drakedeming
Car: EVO RS
CDC Member#: 666

Post by drakedeming »

Recycling is evil and should not be taken part in anyways.

http://www.ecoworld.com/features/2003/1 ... ing-myths/
leadfootgirl

Post by leadfootgirl »

no way!! Al Gore says we should recycle.. and he invented the internet!!! :mrgreen:
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Though it does bring up some good points, There are a lot of holes in that document. Anywho, we now take you back to your regularly scheduled topic... =)
drakedeming wrote:Recycling is evil and should not be taken part in anyways.

http://www.ecoworld.com/features/2003/1 ... ing-myths/
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
draxcaliber
Car: 2005 Turbo Scion tC
CDC Member#: 428

Post by draxcaliber »

i just came up with an idea to decrease some confusion for the work station labeling issue.

at some of the events, like bowie when they refer to the flag stations at the upper or lower lot, or at summit point, when they had station 1, 2, 3 and 4, maybe somebody could quickly label the walkie talkie's or the red flag so when you get to your station you know which station you are when you call in, or the timing tent is trying to get a hold of you and ask you something like if the cone was in or out of the box, or if that car was off course etc. and there could be a course map with the stations posted on it so they know which station is where.
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

draxcaliber wrote:i just came up with an idea to decrease some confusion for the work station labeling issue.

at some of the events, like bowie when they refer to the flag stations at the upper or lower lot, or at summit point, when they had station 1, 2, 3 and 4, maybe somebody could quickly label the walkie talkie's or the red flag so when you get to your station you know which station you are when you call in, or the timing tent is trying to get a hold of you and ask you something like if the cone was in or out of the box, or if that car was off course etc. and there could be a course map with the stations posted on it so they know which station is where.

Sounds like a good idea!! Even just different colored duct tape would suffice.
hepcatz

Post by hepcatz »

That is a good simple solution drax!

Ed O- also, be sure to e-mail out the course map with workstations a week before to all registered attendees... =) snicker
Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)
leadfootgirl

Post by leadfootgirl »

May also cut down on lost walkie talkies at the end of the day...
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

hepcatz wrote:That is a good simple solution drax!

Ed O- also, be sure to e-mail out the course map with workstations a week before to all registered attendees... =) snicker

Oh, I'll send you an advanced copy. Give me your email.

It's going to be slalom, slalom, slalom, slalom, slalom, skidpad (3x), slalom, OFFSET slalom, slalom, slalom, slalom, hairpin turn, slalom, slalom, OFFSET slalom, slalom, slalom, slalom, hairpin to skidpad to a sprint finish (with 10' stop box cone you CANNOT knock down or DNF).

:lol:
hepcatz

Post by hepcatz »

Dang, that is so detailed I might as well just not go and automatically get the fastest time from all the mental practise of the detailed course info! =) Although that would deprive you of the veggie sausages so I better show up, :lol:
Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)
awptickes
Car: 2011 Honda CR-Z (silver)
CDC Member#: 464

Post by awptickes »

saint_foo wrote: It's going to be slalom, slalom, slalom, slalom, slalom, skidpad (3x), slalom, OFFSET slalom, slalom, slalom, slalom, hairpin turn, slalom, slalom, OFFSET slalom, slalom, slalom, slalom, hairpin to skidpad to a sprint finish (with 10' stop box cone you CANNOT knock down or DNF).
Sounds fun, except for the sprint finish. :(
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Do you guys think I'd actually give away the layout?!

BTW, 3x around a skidpad probably would mean oil starvation on a couple of cars. :D
hepcatz

Post by hepcatz »

I figured we would each take turns with your car... =)
btw, when do you expect to have it back?
Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)
awptickes

Post by awptickes »

saint_foo wrote:BTW, 3x around a skidpad probably would mean oil starvation on a couple of cars. :D
That turns it into an endurance race. :D
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

He forgot to mention it's a Le Mans style start, where you have to run to your car and buckle in.

The funny thing is you think they know what they are doing that far in advance.
awptickes

Post by awptickes »

bugman1964 wrote:He forgot to mention it's a Le Mans style start, where you have to run to your car and buckle in.

The funny thing is you think they know what they are doing that far in advance.

That would suck for the folks with 5-point harnesses.