May 9th event at Summit Point

Parking lots and traffic cones.
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Re: May 9th event at Summit Point

Post by mla163 »

WRX11 wrote:
Was I the only one almost bouncing off the rev limited in second at one point during 5/9 Summit Point event?
Not I. You have that tiny little 2nd gear.
Kuni Fab

Post by Kuni Fab »

I do like how BMW club runs their Autox's at the Skid pad. have the start and finish lines at the far end of the course. Use the long road as paddock and cars finishing runs come down the opposite side of the road.
This method could possibly allow for slightly longer courses also

SCCA Member#
BMWCCA Member #
awptickes
Car: 2011 Honda CR-Z (silver)
CDC Member#: 464

Post by awptickes »

WRX11 wrote:Results should be up shortly.

Was I the only one almost bouncing off the rev limited in second at one point during 5/9 Summit Point event?
Only right after the Slalom, and at the straight right before the far-end turn. Although, it was only a couple bounces, nothing more than a half a second, and on those runs, I had too much speed coming into the turn right after the slalom.
matt.baird
Car: 09 Hyundai Accent SE
CDC Member#: 276

Post by matt.baird »

lol. i was locked into 1st gear the whole time. 8-) i was worried i would top out on this more open course but it didnt happen.
Matt
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

Kuni Fab wrote:I do like how BMW club runs their Autox's at the Skid pad. have the start and finish lines at the far end of the course. Use the long road as paddock and cars finishing runs come down the opposite side of the road. This method could possibly allow for slightly longer courses also
I was wondering why we didn't something like this. It would have avoided all that ground up section. Put up some massive wall of cones at the main entrance(or a saw horse), to keep people from entering the course....possibly one worker down there.

Still, kudos on the setup and trying to keep things quick,safe and fun.
=====
I also noticed that slicks do not help you on this track, much. Look how close Brian and Mike were in times; and Mike was on street tires!

I like this track becasue it is a break from the normal CDC venue...higher speed, no figure 8's, decent run time, huge sweeper/traction circle - it really gives you an opportunity to push/test/see how your car handles - especially in the 'treated' sections.

Would it make sense to put the grills and food down in the paddock area? I know its a distance away from timing, but that would cut down on the traversing of people across an active track. Just a thought.
-- Jason
wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

WRX11 wrote:Results should be up shortly.

I was in second the whole time, but my rev limiter is 8.5k. I never even made it into vtec :(
-- Jason
mf44

Post by mf44 »

wrathe74 wrote: I also noticed that slicks do not help you on this track, much. Look how close Brian and Mike were in times; and Mike was on street tires!
Am I missing something? Are the results posted yet?
wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

mf44 wrote:
wrathe74 wrote: I also noticed that slicks do not help you on this track, much. Look how close Brian and Mike were in times; and Mike was on street tires!
Am I missing something? Are the results posted yet?

No, but I kept a mental note when I was there .... I'm dying to see where I placed...my best was 51.49??? I recently upgraded my Suspension with Groundcontrols and Springs; even though I couldn't rotate my car again (RSX is plagued with understeer, and my poor street tires screamed the whole way), it seemd to improve my lap time.

I really need to get either stiffer springs in the rear or stiffer rear sway....probably both...to get my car to rotate again.
-- Jason
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

The results from the Saturday, May 9th, 2009 auto-x at the Washington Circuit (Triple Skid Pad) in Summit Point, WV have been uploaded to the website. You may view the results in Microsoft Excel .xls or Adobe Acrobat .pdf format by going to the Results page and selecting the appropriate link. Please contact the event's head organizer, Ted Joseph (ted.joseph (at) capitaldrivingclub.com), with any questions or corrections.

BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

wrathe74 wrote:I really need to get either stiffer springs in the rear or stiffer rear sway....probably both...to get my car to rotate again.
In my experience, understeer is best dealt with at the front end. You can stiffen the rear springs or sway, but ultimately you are reducing your rear traction so that it breaks loose before the front. It may make the car feel more balanced, but you end up with less overall grip. What you should do is find a way to get more grip in the front. That way your car will be faster as well as more balanced. I'm not familiar with the RSX suspension, but you may just need more aggressive front alignment settings. If its a strut suspension like the Subies have, there are lots of mods that can improve front grip.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

BugBomb wrote:
wrathe74 wrote:I really need to get either stiffer springs in the rear or stiffer rear sway....probably both...to get my car to rotate again.
In my experience, understeer is best dealt with at the front end. You can stiffen the rear springs or sway, but ultimately you are reducing your rear traction so that it breaks loose before the front. It may make the car feel more balanced, but you end up with less overall grip. What you should do is find a way to get more grip in the front. That way your car will be faster as well as more balanced. I'm not familiar with the RSX suspension, but you may just need more aggressive front alignment settings. If its a strut suspension like the Subies have, there are lots of mods that can improve front grip.

Yep, strut suspension. Here's what I got going on:
So far I'm running about -2degree camber on the fronts, and 1/8th" toe out - nothing so aggressive that I can't drive it to the events and work :)
I'm running a much smaller sway bar(compared to stock) in the front.
I still need to upgrade the shocks...hopefully that'll be soon.
The RSX can't change the caster...unless I change the mounts.
Finally, I'm trying to stay in ST class for SCCA...so limited on what can be done as well.
oh, and I'm sure my street tires aren't providing the best grip for me either.

I'm always open to help and guidance...:)
-- Jason
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

One of the first things the STis change in AStock is adding the stiffest front swaybar they can find. The reason is that the Subaru's suspension loses negative camber as it compresses. More front body roll = more positive camber. In this case, a super-stiff front bar improves grip by keeping the camber in check. I can only assume that the RSX may be similar.

We certainly noticed a huge improvement - not just in lateral grip, but also transitional response - when we upgraded the SUXASS to a big, front swaybar.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
DaveL20
Car: 2001 Ford Focus
CDC Member#: 189

Post by DaveL20 »

wrathe74 wrote:
BugBomb wrote:

Yep, strut suspension. Here's what I got going on:
So far I'm running about -2degree camber on the fronts, and 1/8th" toe out - nothing so aggressive that I can't drive it to the events and work :)
I'm running a much smaller sway bar(compared to stock) in the front.
I still need to upgrade the shocks...hopefully that'll be soon.
The RSX can't change the caster...unless I change the mounts.
Finally, I'm trying to stay in ST class for SCCA...so limited on what can be done as well.
oh, and I'm sure my street tires aren't providing the best grip for me either.

I'm always open to help and guidance...:)
I would tell you to go with a bigger front bar to stiffen up the front end. Going smaller is making the front roll over more. Stiffer front bar and maybe stiffer springs.
Ourisman Chrysler Dodge Jeep
2009 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Under Champion
2010 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Over Champion
Money can't buy you love but it can buy lots and lots of horsepower.
wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

DaveL20 wrote: I would tell you to go with a bigger front bar to stiffen up the front end. Going smaller is making the front roll over more. Stiffer front bar and maybe stiffer springs.
My reason for going with a smaller bar in the front is that I do not have a differential...therefore if I go with a stiffer bar in the front it would induce more lateral weight transfer = less power/grip to the drive wheel under circumstances.

I did, however, increase the spring rates almost double that of stock...and I gotta say, its helped a great deal with getting power down out of a turn and preventing the severe nose dive during braking I had experienced before.

I was going over some pics from early SCCA this year, versus the latest AI event where I had the springs on...I could see much less body roll, and my front was diving way less.
-- Jason
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

not to be a smart ass, but if you don't have a differential, you don't have any traction, you have a soapbox derby car.
wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

FredK wrote:not to be a smart ass, but if you don't have a differential, you don't have any traction, you have a soapbox derby car.
:oops:
ok...I do have a diff, just not a limited slip diff....thats what I meant.
-- Jason