05/23/09 Bowie Auto-x

Parking lots and traffic cones.
draxcaliber
Car: 2005 Turbo Scion tC
CDC Member#: 428

Re: 05/23/09 Bowie Auto-x

Post by draxcaliber »

i was wondering about my time too, i think i did considerably better in my last run, and my brother said they announced my last time was a 56.16 and i was very proud of myself only to see the results posted that i got a 57.16 which is fine, maybe the announcer mis-spoke, or my brother mis-heard or somebody put in the wrong time but oh well, all just fun and games.
WRX11

Post by WRX11 »

hepcatz wrote:Hey, why not pick up a Mr. Microphone and we can hear the run times & cautions over our FM radios (although that still doesn't help the folks with Cobras)... :)
Seriously though it was not just the noisy Cobras(best noise I know of!), I could not hear from that far away at PGS either, though other events have been fine.
This could be a possibility, I'll bring it up with the rest of the group and see if we can come up with something similar or Fred's suggestion of a receipt size printout.
hepcatz wrote:Wrx11- so if a month from now I come back and "remember" getting a 34.22 time you won't buy it?
Maybe I'll come up with a macro equation that will deduct a fraction of your points, after each day the results are posted, via an increase in your index multiplier as the end-all solution? :P Of course I can't change your index if you come back with 34.22. Even Brian Kar ONLY got a 48.XX. :D

Seriously, within a reasonable amount of time after each event results are posted, I'd be open to making updates, especially if they were CDC errors. Now if someone's time sheet indexes were left blank and I had to fill them in, don't assume I know you've got the base model. :lol:
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
MattDell
Car: 2007 Honda S2000
CDC Member#: 621

Post by MattDell »

FredK wrote:The guys out at Cumberland have several displays and a little reciept printer at the stop box. You see your time and get a slip with your time, place and how far behind, if applicable, seems simple. I run several series, and only one doesn't pre-register/pay, and have a way to know your time. I've been to several CDC events when I never had any idea what any of my times were until several days later. I still love you guys though. This is only the 20th time I have posted this. Results...one button.
They do have some very, very nice equipment at Cumberland. They must have relatively lower overheads than urban clubs, or perhaps they bring in a decent amount of money on their road rallies. Either way, they do quite a fine job up there!

I mean, not as good as CDC, but you know what I mean. ;)

-Matt
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

JoeTR6 wrote:
eage8 wrote:We should look into getting some kind of display screen at the finish so you can just look over to see what your times are. There is already a laptop down there anyway for the timing equipment if I'm not mistaken..
Yes, that could be done. There are several USB ports and a VGA port on the stop computer begging for something to do. The LED displays are fairly pricey as Kyle pointed out. It would be fairly easy to make one for $100 to $200, but there's just too much on my plate right now. Another idea is to place the stop computer near the end of the stop garage and use a LCD monitor with a sunshade. A 21" widescreen is under $200 at Costco. If we use the entire screen to display a single time, it might be readable. I have a spare LCD we could try at the next Summit event. One huge downside is those are fragile and not rain resistant, so it would eventually get destroyed.
I have a few old 17" CRTs that I'd be willing to donate, and they'd probably be easier to see than an LCD and more robust... but still not water proof and also harder to transport.

but let me know if you want them.

also, if you can find directions on how to make the LED display I would probably be up for it :-P
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

hepcatz wrote:
AJ- I had a misprint too at one event it does happen as we are all human. As you've noticed, they are always gracious about corrections, even if you are not in the pack for points, like me.
Yeah I know, I'm really not trying to give anyone a hard time. I know this is all voluntary work. They always mention when results are posted to PM/e-mail for any corrections so If I see something wrong or strange then most likely I'll put my word out.
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

Speaking of scoring results, have you all seen this: Livescoring online for SCCA events. Pretty neat when the even is going on.

And the TransAm live is even better: SCCA Pro TransAm
-- Jason
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

AJ, wasn't trying to say you were giving anyone a hard time, hope you didn't think that. I was just agreeing with you that they are a great bunch that do their best to be fair to us members.
AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:
hepcatz wrote:
AJ- I had a misprint too at one event it does happen as we are all human. As you've noticed, they are always gracious about corrections, even if you are not in the pack for points, like me.
Yeah I know, I'm really not trying to give anyone a hard time. I know this is all voluntary work. They always mention when results are posted to PM/e-mail for any corrections so If I see something wrong or strange then most likely I'll put my word out.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
WRX11

Post by WRX11 »

wrathe74 wrote:Speaking of scoring results, have you all seen this: Livescoring online for SCCA events. Pretty neat when the even is going on.

And the TransAm live is even better: SCCA Pro TransAm
I thought about something in terms of live updates so participants can see where they stand during the day. However, Pro racing require everyone to have a transponder which costs $100+ and they do not need to distinguish between index, just name, number, position.

CDC is working on other system which will make the event go faster and smoother. In my opinion, it would benefit the participant more than live updates, at this point.
ButtDyno
Car: 2006 Evo MR | 1999 ///M3
CDC Member#: 199

Post by ButtDyno »

JoeTR6 wrote:Yes, that could be done. There are several USB ports and a VGA port on the stop computer begging for something to do. The LED displays are fairly pricey as Kyle pointed out. It would be fairly easy to make one for $100 to $200, but there's just too much on my plate right now. Another idea is to place the stop computer near the end of the stop garage and use a LCD monitor with a sunshade. A 21" widescreen is under $200 at Costco. If we use the entire screen to display a single time, it might be readable. I have a spare LCD we could try at the next Summit event. One huge downside is those are fragile and not rain resistant, so it would eventually get destroyed.
http://www.jacircuits.com/prod04.htm

15-20 events a year, 100-150 participants each... $2 or $3 per person would probably cover the cost of some pretty schnazzy stuff.

Personally, I don't understand the whole reinventing the wheel thing :)
Autocross. Serious business.
project:BDR
Unofficial CDC PAX Results page
TommySalami
Car: S2000
CDC Member#: 409

Post by TommySalami »

I think a simple solution would be to wait until the car gets back to the staging area to announce their time, since it's much closer to the speakers than the stop garage. I can hear other people's times just fine when I'm waiting in line, but when my time is announced right after I cross the finish, I usually do not hear it.
WRX11

Post by WRX11 »

I agree that is the best location for announcement to be heard. Sometimes though, when the heat gets large, the finished car may not return to the back of the timing tent until much later..
awptickes
Car: 2011 Honda CR-Z (silver)
CDC Member#: 464

Post by awptickes »

If it's an option, I have an FM transmitter I'll gladly donate.

It should easily cover the whole parking-lot, and all you'd have to do is set to an unused frequency at each venue, then put the frequency on a board at the timing tent for all to see. It sure would make it a little easier to keep track of my time after each run, then I know how bad I messed up. :D
awptickes

Post by awptickes »

Also, if you want to go the LED sign route, here's something I found that seems like it would be easy to tie-into the current timing system.

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6247706774.html
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

awptickes wrote:If it's an option, I have an FM transmitter I'll gladly donate.
I like this idea easy set up easy use and we all get to hear times and announcements no matter where we are.
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

bugman1964 wrote:
awptickes wrote:If it's an option, I have an FM transmitter I'll gladly donate.
I like this idea easy set up easy use and we all get to hear times and announcements no matter where we are.
I second that! :)
-- Jason
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Plus if on course you could also hear stop the car/red flag orders which gives a bonus over a LED display.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
awptickes

Post by awptickes »

Just so I know what cables to pull out of the closet, what kind of connections does the PA system have?

The FM transmitter can be powered by one AAA battery, or 12V DC.
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

awptickes wrote:Just so I know what cables to pull out of the closet, what kind of connections does the PA system have?

To be honest, I can't remember 100%. I believe the out puts are RCA jacks. I was trying to research the FM transmitter option. It looks like Ramsey makes a kit and completed kits are available on EBay. Various models have various ranges.
WRX11

Post by WRX11 »

echan wrote:
awptickes wrote:Just so I know what cables to pull out of the closet, what kind of connections does the PA system have?

To be honest, I can't remember 100%. I believe the out puts are RCA jacks. I was trying to research the FM transmitter option. It looks like Ramsey makes a kit and completed kits are available on EBay. Various models have various ranges.
It does have RCA jacks, from the box out to the two speakers.
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

are you guys certain of the output type?

I have disconnected the amp thingee from the speakers on several occasions, and those are definitely NOT RCA Connectors. They are 1/4 inch TRS type connectors ( Like switchboard operators would use or for your stereo headphones)

The amp may have RCA connectors, but it's definitely not what's currently used to plug into the speakers.

SPeakers are connected by this:

Not this:
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

it's more of what the audio out is I believe. and it could really be either of those.
WRX11

Post by WRX11 »

Gonz's right, it's not RCA, they are Guitar jacks.
awptickes

Post by awptickes »

Is there a line-out?
echan
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

It does have a guitar amp cable out, but I thought it also has RCA outputs. I know it has RCA inputs because that's how the radio is fed in.
JoeTR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

I think the only output is a single guitar-style plug. The RCA plugs are input only, IIRC.

The FM transmitter does seem like the most flexible solution. A large display might still be nice, but it's more work for less utility overall.
ButtDyno wrote:Personally, I don't understand the whole reinventing the wheel thing
The JA Circuits system is nice, but I didn't see a wireless option. With our lots (especially Frederick), cables are a problem. I've personally seen some really expensive systems (Mercedes Tag Heuer wireless system) fail fairly often. Our system is doing better, but still has some rough edges. The nice thing about it is we can replace any piece of hardware with off-the-self computer stuff from the closest store that carries electronics.

Personally, I'd rather buy a complete system from someone else that does all the things we want. I already have a day job. :)