Woodbridge

Parking lots and traffic cones.
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Woodbridge

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

Loved the lot! Decent size, pretty smooth, and crazy grip! The course could have been a little more open and flowing for my tastes, but it was still a blast. Nice job guys. :mrgreen:
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Re: Woodbridge

Post by BugBomb »

I wasn't planning on attending Woodbridge events since they are so far from my house, but I just might have to make the trip for the next one. The lot definitely has some potential.

Many thanks to Dave for letting me drive his Miata, and Larry for letting me drive his Cobra.

And no thanks to Ben for making my wife want a Solstice. :lol:
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

I'm glad you all felt sorry for the under powered litlle cars and could give them a course to help regain their confidence. I loved the lot, the drive was tough, but fair, being from Frederick. Solstice...
FredK
awptickes
Car: 2011 Honda CR-Z (silver)
CDC Member#: 464

Post by awptickes »

I had a great time. I'm ordering new tires as I type this, and hopefully the next woodbridge event I'll have traction, lol. Nothing like smoking a tire in a 115whp fit.

I'll sort through all 620+ photos I took today probably monday night. Sorry guys, I'm dead tired right now.

If anyone has any pictures of car 464, the Blue Honda Fit (mini mini-van looking thing) please post them. If you know someone who took photos of me, please get them to post to the flickr pool. Everyone please share your photos. :D

I absolutely loved the lot, it was nice and flat in most places, and the pavement was fresh enough to work well. I hope we have this venue next year. Only problem is that the layout seemed to favor the higher powered cars a lot more than previous courses. Oh well.
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

Fun course, Great traction! Waayyyy too far from Frederick. Kept thinking I'd missed my turn on the way down in the AM... I'll drive all the way back for more at this lot!

Thanks, Guys. Great Job!!

Dan
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

Loved the course. It was very technical and challenging. Wish we could have used more of the lot and less overlapping, but still...great job! Its a bit of a haul for me as well (2hrs), and 95/495 was no fun coming home.

I had the brand new Kumho XS's, and it was slippery at first trying to break them in.
-- Jason
awptickes
Car: 2011 Honda CR-Z (silver)
CDC Member#: 464

Post by awptickes »

wrathe74 wrote: Its a bit of a haul for me as well (2hrs), and 95/495 was no fun coming home.
Yeah, 95 was kinda backed up, so I took washington baltimore parkway.

2 hours? Where do you live? It only took me 1h40m to get to Bel Air, MD (north of baltimore, exit 77 on I95)
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

Glen Burnie...but it was mostly dead stopped on 95 up thru VA, crawled into MD, once I got onto 50 east it cleared up.

Getting there took me 1hr30m almost exactly.
-- Jason
draxcaliber
Car: 2005 Turbo Scion tC
CDC Member#: 428

Post by draxcaliber »

yeah, this site wasn't hard to get to , and i think they layout really lends itself to our set-up pretty well. the pit area is smallish compared to other sites, but the course is, despite being dotted with street lamps is big, and with all the entrace/exits and having a two lane road on every side but one, i think the possibility of different course layouts are huge! also, all the nice grassy curbs with trees provided good shade!

only gripe i had was this course layout wasn't as intuitive as the other events have been. the double backing over the course could be kinda tricky, but i know the course layout was quickly thrown together fairly last minute from what i heard.
Ben L
Car: FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
CDC Member#: 20

Post by Ben L »

Great lot, and a great day! Love the venue.

But there was a lot of time wasted on switchovers when the organizers had to dog people on the PA to get out and work.

That's embarassing, inconsiderate, and should not happen. We'd all get home a lot earlier (especially the organizers who are stuck from start to finish) if it didn't.

Unfortunately, it may be time to institute some form of worker accountability. There are non-optional rules in every game. I thought working the course and getting to your station quickly so others could drive was one of the main ones in autocross. I think some people may be learning different behaviors re coursework.

Sorry to post about this again, but its really pissing me off.

Mike, also sorry about Jenn wanting a Solstice, but I note for the record that she also drove someone's Subie. I can't help it that she has good taste.
Ben Lambiotte
FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
363 ci Ford Racing Boss Stroker
CDC No. 20
Jim Harris

Post by Jim Harris »

The lot actually exceeded my expectations. In time, we'll figure out ways of laying out a more flowing course.

It actually took me longer to get there and back from Reston than it takes for me to drive to Frederick. The traffic and numerous lights in an around Manassass slowed me up. Happy to return for another outing, though.

Jim
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

Jim Harris wrote:The lot actually exceeded my expectations. In time, we'll figure out ways of laying out a more flowing course.

It actually took me longer to get there and back from Reston than it takes for me to drive to Frederick. The traffic and numerous lights in an around Manassass slowed me up. Happy to return for another outing, though.

Jim
Consider taking the 234 bypass instead of going down Rt 28 if that was the way you went. Google tried to take me through Manassass but I knew better.

Joe S. did a great job pulling together the course on the spot having never really seen the lot before.
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

"Only problem is that the layout seemed to favor the higher powered cars a lot more than previous courses." ummm, I'm assuming that's a joke.
Fredk
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Heh. You know it's not a high-powered-car's course when the workers aren't holding their ears for Larry's runs. I can only remember maybe 2 spots where I got to hold down the throttle in that Cobra, and it was very brief each time.

Also, Ben I totally agree about the worker issues. Everyone who feels the same should let us know in the Format Improvements thread. Jen posted an idea that could help this and it would be nice to have some feedback from folks.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Sounds like it was a good event and it was very close by for me, sorry I missed it. :( Wife was in an auto accident the other day so was involved with that (it was her first).
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
TintedOut
Car: 92 Toyota MR-2 n/a
CDC Member#: 476

Post by TintedOut »

This was my first AutoX event and loved it. The course was a lil confusing, but i got it down. Wanna say thanx to everyone who helped this noob out.

Jon bring to STI to my shop and get that thing tinted. 8-)
Mean
CDC Member#: 0

Post by Mean »

I had an excellent time. I haven't autocrossed since 2006 but I couldn't pass up an event so close to my house. I feel sorry for the long drive folks as I live only 5 minutes away from the school. I went home and did yard work in between the morning and afternoon session. :) Glad I came back as I drove much better in the afternoon.

Thanks to the club. You guys do a great job.

Gene
95R
evolicious
Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution
CDC Member#: 452

Post by evolicious »

The lot has some good potential and great grip. My car felt like a boat on the course due to how narrow the gates were and how close together they were. This course definitely seemed to favor a small wheel base, light weight cars, and a broad power band. This was one of the courses that i just couldn't "get". Oh well, it was still a whole lotta fun and thanks to the organizers for a great day and for bringing the perfect weather. :D This will definitely be one of my sessions that gets thrown out the door. I can't wait for Summit Point and I'm kinda glad there are only two events down here- such a haul for me. Obviously not a haul for most since there were so many cars there though.
High on PSI
evolicious

Post by evolicious »

Edit: Mental note: Do not take an hour long nap in the sun in between sessions. It does nothing for helping you to remember the course :? Oh, and thank dog I was in heat 1.
High on PSI
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

evolicious wrote:Edit: Mental note: Do not take an hour long nap in the sun in between sessions. It does nothing for helping you to remember the course :? Oh, and thank dog I was in heat 1.
i'll hear that since i was one of the two course workers you almost ran down when you went through one too many gates starting the figure 8! lol, glad there was a street lamp there to deter you from running us down!
evolicious

Post by evolicious »

Yeah..... sorry about that. I realized I was off course before that, but just kept on trucking to get off the course as fast as possible to let the next person get on there way. I'm not sure, because I was watching the road/lot, but it seemed like the worker was away from the light pole and started running back when I came that way. Not sure though. It happened so fast.

edit: it was not a good day for me all in all. I have to start taking Wade's advice- killer hangovers= killer times. I actually was responsible, and went to sleep at a decent hour. You see how far that got me. :D
High on PSI
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

yeah, maybe, the other guy, i was on the radio, he might have been going after a cone you got at the shalom before the figure 8.
Beepbeep
Car: 2013, Mustang GT
CDC Member#: 391

Post by Beepbeep »

That was a lot of fun for me. I like this location (I live 10 minutes away ;) ), but besides that, the surface is great specialy for street tires. Lots of shade tree around to sit and take a nap in between run :lol: .

The lot definitely has a lot of petential for a more flowing course. Good job to the crews of CDC. Hopefully more participant will appreciate this and do their part.
WRX11

Post by WRX11 »

david.valeri wrote:Joe S. did a great job pulling together the course on the spot having never really seen the lot before.
This. Kudos Joe for stepping up and committing to staying the entire day. I hope it didn't ruin your day's plans. Late notice always suck.
Ben L wrote:Sorry to post about this again, but its really pissing me off.
Same with the organizers as we didn't think we had to bring out the ugly.
Ben L wrote:Mike, also sorry about Jenn wanting a Solstice, but I note for the record that she also drove someone's Subie. I can't help it that she has good taste.
Yeah, this won't go right to his head..Don't fuel the fire Ben.. :D
TintedOut wrote:Jon bring to STI to my shop and get that thing tinted. 8-)
We'll talk more about it. Not very into tint as you know. :P

Unfortunately we had the incident of slow to none moving course workers after they have returned to the pit lane in one of the PM heats. Thanks to those who'd helped lend a hand working the course so the event could finish.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
evolicious

Post by evolicious »

draxcaliber wrote:yeah, maybe, the other guy, i was on the radio, he might have been going after a cone you got at the shalom before the figure 8.
You made it sound like if there wasn't a light pole there, I would have hit you or something, when in fact there was someone running in/on the course. Granted, I was off course and shouldn't have been going that way, but I was no where near the light pole/ station.
High on PSI