October 20th & 21st, 2007 at Harry Grove

Parking lots and traffic cones.
davidv
Car: 2004 350Z
CDC Member#: 0

Just a couple of photos from today.

Post by davidv »

350Z 2004 Enthusiast: K&N Typhoon Air Intake - Motordyne Plenum Spacer - Alphawerks Stainless Steel Headers - Helix SS Test Pipes - Injen Super SES Cat-Back Exhaust System - WedsSport SA-70
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

October 20th & 21st, 2007 at Harry Grove

Post by BugBomb »

This can be our official wrap-up thread to post pics, vids, trash talk, PAX results, etc.

I would like to give a special thanks to Fred Kelley, Ed O'donnell, Joe Macinnes, and Hobbs5313 for letting me co-drive their cars. It was a blast trying all those cars on the same course.

We will soon see how everyone did on Saturday, but what times did everyone get on Sunday?
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
Rice & Gravy
Car: '05 Forester XT - Black
CDC Member#: 340

Re: October 20th & 21st, 2007 at Harry Grove

Post by Rice & Gravy »

I want to say at huge THANK YOU to all that were so kind and helpful with my son Alex today. Especially Stephanie for letting him call the next car and my times during the last session. And thanks to Andy as well (thanks for the numbers too) and to Ed for getting him a hot dog while I was working . I had a great time today and learned a lot. This course was much easier to follow than my first attempt at autox. I was this >< close to breaking 50 seconds today, my last run was 50.06.
-Steve
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

Just a friendly reminder that you may also contribute your CDC event pictures to the Capital Driving Club Flickr group. All pics shared with the CDC Flickr group are automatically displayed on our website's Media page.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
ButtDyno
Car: 2006 Evo MR | 1999 ///M3
CDC Member#: 199

Post by ButtDyno »

Preliminary, very unofficial, just for fun, don't take this seriously, might be totally wrong, PAX spreadsheet here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... UIAw&gid=1

I'll throw people in as I get times :)

john
Autocross. Serious business.
project:BDR
Unofficial CDC PAX Results page
ProDarwin
Car: Who knows?
CDC Member#: 242

Post by ProDarwin »

Well, the timing equipment evaded me on Saturday. I'll get it next time :D

Going to swap the spare motor into the Saturn shortly. I've read reports of several buy-in members receiving their coil-overs Its only a matter of time before I'm on R comps and coil-overs :twisted:
Travis
GTI0125
Car: 2003 VW GTI
CDC Member#: 125

Post by GTI0125 »

Great autox, could not have asked for a better day!!!! The first couple runs were a little slippy due to not getting the tires up to temp but the third run in the morning and afternoon went very well. It took me a while but i finally got into the 49s.

I do seem to be cupping my R-Compounds, does anyone have any suggestions?

Here is a cool video of the black Cobra launching, the video does not do that car the justice it deserves. Evil, pure evil :twisted:
http://media.putfile.com/Cobra-Launch
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Man, this weekend was a blast! I had so much fun on both days.

Mike Moran: no problemo! It's nice to get input from other drivers.

Calvin: Thanks a ton! That S2000 of yours is soooo much fun! I seriously would love to drive that thing all the time. Especially in the snow. :)

Organizers: You guys did a great job. I think Dave Valeri's typed up driver's meeting notes worked like a charm. A few minutes longer than usual, but it's better to be safe than miss a point, eh? Kudos to everyone's participation. Great to meet Denny and the wifey!

To anyone whose chops I busted (Jake and Dan): pffft! All in fun. I only rip on the folks I like. Well, Ernest, too. Haha!
ButtDyno

Post by ButtDyno »

The results are up, so I updated the super-hypothetical, just for fun PAX list.

I'm not sure about what class the Cobras are in so I guessed XP. I'm also not sure about the Boxster but I was pretty sure that Ted/Denise run AS when they are at Fedex.

John
ButtDyno

Post by ButtDyno »

Update... this link will take you right to Oct 20th
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... UIAw&gid=0

(can't edit old posts, grr)

john
TubeDriver

Post by TubeDriver »

Interesting that with the SCCA PAX, a 1991 MR2 can end up in 4th.
Tie your shoes, Drive your car, Love your girl!
--
WideSpread Panic
ButtDyno

Post by ButtDyno »

TubeDriver wrote:Interesting that with the SCCA PAX, a 1991 MR2 can end up in 4th.
I'm guessing the V710's had a lot to do with that :)
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

You are correct, we run XP.
FredK
Tedzilla
Car: '58 MGA Coupe '04 Porsche
CDC Member#: 1

Post by Tedzilla »

We run the Boxster S under SCCA A Stock rules. We run V710s on stock width and offset wheels and that's it. The V710s have over 260 runs on them and I drive them to and from events :D

Ted
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

Those super hypothetical SCCA PAX results tell me that fast drivers in fast cars still win. Big surprise! What would be interesting to see the delta between the CDC handicap and the SCCA PAX, e.g. Fred Kelley 0, Mike Moran -4, Slava +15, etc.
ButtDyno

Post by ButtDyno »

kyle.bowker wrote:Those super hypothetical SCCA PAX results tell me that fast drivers in fast cars still win. Big surprise! What would be interesting to see the delta between the CDC handicap and the SCCA PAX, e.g. Fred Kelley 0, Mike Moran -4, Slava +15, etc.
I can't do the delta without knowing every CDC car's SCCA class, but I did add the CDC finish and the CDC index scores to the spreadsheet :)
MicaCeli
Car: 1987 Toyota MR2
CDC Member#: 231

Post by MicaCeli »

kyle.bowker wrote:Those super hypothetical SCCA PAX results tell me that fast drivers in fast cars still win. Big surprise! What would be interesting to see the delta between the CDC handicap and the SCCA PAX, e.g. Fred Kelley 0, Mike Moran -4, Slava +15, etc.
I approve of this message :)
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

anything is better than having slow drives in slow cars winning ;) The PAX also gives fast drivers in avg cars a chance to win, which CDC doesn't do.

For example, Francois was first overall in Cumberland on STREET tires thanks to some good driving, a fast car and the STU PAX last weekend. Now if he shows up to CDC and drives his Miata he will be one of the lowest rated drivers.

Why is this ? Is it because he suddenly sucks from one week to the next ? Nope. Rather, because the CDC index doesn't care that's he'd be driving a 116 HP wimp machine this week and not a 300 HP AWD muscle car. CDC still thinks he should "improve' from one week to the next whether he went from Mustang to Pinto or Corvette to Chevette.

I'm not saying I like PAX, because I don't. Any system that puts a WRX with an ALK into E-Prepared is a fundamentally flawed system. It's a shame in their 315 page SOLO1 rule book they couldn't simply write "ALK OK ON WRX." I guess not enough WRX owners are on the SCCA committee.

Also PAX is NOT applicable to our group because the SCCA events allow you to get out of 1st gear and not suffer turbo lag. Try using second gear on a CDC course and you'll be stuck at 3K RPM with no boost.

wait a minute, is this NOT the index thead ? :mrgreen:
ButtDyno

Post by ButtDyno »

Gonz wrote: Also PAX is NOT applicable to our group because the SCCA events allow you to get out of 1st gear and not suffer turbo lag. Try using second gear on a CDC course and you'll be stuck at 3K RPM with no boost.
You just need a Protune ;)

It's not perfect and it's still biased towards some cars - but at least slow / street tire cars have a chance.
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

ButtDyno wrote:
Gonz wrote: Also PAX is NOT applicable to our group because the SCCA events allow you to get out of 1st gear and not suffer turbo lag. Try using second gear on a CDC course and you'll be stuck at 3K RPM with no boost.
or a 2.5L and an AP
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

mla163 wrote:
ButtDyno wrote:
or a 2.5L and an AP

and an STi six speed would be nice 8-)