July 25th Woodbridge Autox

Parking lots and traffic cones.
evolicious
Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution
CDC Member#: 452

July 25th Woodbridge Autox

Post by evolicious »

I hope that the course lay out is suited to a wider variety of cars. Trust me when I say, I'm not knocking the designers, it's that I know my car felt like a boat on the previous course along with others. You could tell what type of course it was, and what type of cars it was suited to, after looking at the results. But then you go to Summit PT and it's the exact opposite of Woodbridge. Not saying it has to be super fast, with long straights, or sweeping turns.....but just a little wider gates and gates just a tad further apart would be just fine. I'm probably inserting my foot into my mouth big time on this one, but just expressing my feelings. Kudos to all the effort being put in by designers, workers, etc. I love this organization! :D

P.S. On a side note, my buddy asked me if i wanted to go to the SCCA event at FedEX this weekend. I promptly said "where's your loyalty at?"
High on PSI
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Re: July 25th Woodbridge Autox

Post by FredK »

The Woodbridge lot has great potential for all the cars, Summit doesn't. I bring my Miata there as a last resort. I'll be at Fed Ex this weekend and love it too...It's not us or them.
FredK
WRX11

Post by WRX11 »

FredK wrote:I'll be at Fed Ex this weekend and love it too...It's not us or them.
FredK
evolicious wrote:"where's your loyalty at?"
:P
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
ProDarwin
Car: Who knows?
CDC Member#: 242

Post by ProDarwin »

evolicious wrote:P.S. On a side note, my buddy asked me if i wanted to go to the SCCA event at FedEX this weekend. I promptly said "where's your loyalty at?"
lol, hope that's sarcasm. I'll be at Fedex this weekend also.
Travis
ButtDyno
Car: 2006 Evo MR | 1999 ///M3
CDC Member#: 199

Post by ButtDyno »

evolicious wrote:I hope that the course lay out is suited to a wider variety of cars. Trust me when I say, I'm not knocking the designers, it's that I know my car felt like a boat on the previous course along with others. You could tell what type of course it was, and what type of cars it was suited to, after looking at the results. But then you go to Summit PT and it's the exact opposite of Woodbridge.
Looking at the results I see the same people at the top of it who are usually there. Some courses are fast, some courses are tight, and it behooves you to practice both :)
Autocross. Serious business.
project:BDR
Unofficial CDC PAX Results page
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

I think it is those very differences that make all the locations fun. Variety is the spice and each setup can highlight the pros/cons of all types of cars.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
ButtDyno

Post by ButtDyno »

BTW, if you want a fast open course... there are unloyal venues that offer these as well. Cumberland, Fedex, Blue Crabs, etc
ProDarwin

Post by ProDarwin »

Just a note... I saw a bunch of you un-loyal bastards at Fedex yesterday.
evolicious wrote:"where's your loyalty at?"

Oh, and that Daytona Coupe is hot.
Travis
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Yep, stopped by the Fedex event yesterday to see that awesome Coupe.

We will likely run at a Fedex event later in the year. Its a little expensive for us since we don't have SCCA memberships, but we have to do at least one just to see what its like.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

I think most of us love hitting various events just to see what's out there. I enjoy almost every format, lot, etc. I don't recall any event that I truly hated b/c it was run poorly/unsafe, the lot just sucked so bad, etc.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Yeah, I think next season I'll try an SCCA/autocross inc. event as well to see what they are like. Even if I like it, I imagine the bulk of my ax will always be done with CDC.

John N
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
evolicious
Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution
CDC Member#: 452

Post by evolicious »

P.S. On a side note, my buddy asked me if i wanted to go to the SCCA event at FedEX this weekend. I promptly said "where's your loyalty at?"[/quote]

It was sarcasm, and he told me about how the event was run. It seemed pretty crazy, like cattle herding almost is the way he described it. He said he got 4 runs in and had to work for two hours. I said "You paid $45 for that?" I asked him if he would go back and he said definitely, because the course was pretty cool and fast, with elevation changes.

On a side note, I agree that I need to learn how to deal with tighter courses. This being my first year of autocrossing has been quite the learning experience and I do welcome different courses. I just get angry at myself when I can't get the most out of my driving or the car due to the course. I can't blame myself for that, now can I? ;)
High on PSI
draxcaliber
Car: 2005 Turbo Scion tC
CDC Member#: 428

Post by draxcaliber »

heck, i prefer autocrossing with CDC when the SCCA is having their events, fewer cars quicker heats, and maybe more runs if we are making good time! also, better chances of placing higher and getting more points! woo hoo!
ProDarwin

Post by ProDarwin »

evolicious wrote: He said he got 4 runs in and had to work for two hours. I said "You paid $45 for that?"
Well, in the SCCA's defense (going to get banned for this...), those 4 runs are generally much longer than CDC runs. Yesterday was a short course and the runs were in the mid-50 second range. Longer courses will get in the upper 60s/low 70s, and the stupid long ones... well, my fastest time on one last year was a 92.xxx Also, last CDC event I was at (Woodbridge), I worked for about 2 hours. I don't see a problem with this? Its $35 for members.

If you get a chance, definitely get out to Fedex to try one. The course is very long and very fast. It'll get your blood pumping, that's for sure. Generally, CDC and SCCA are not on the same day, meaning we can all do both events if we so desire.
Travis
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

ProDarwin wrote: Also, last CDC event I was at (Woodbridge), I worked for about 2 hours. I don't see a problem with this? Its $35 for members.
I don't know many participants (other than the organizers) that work 2 hours straight or even 2 hours in total. We do get many participants that volunteer to work additional heats when we are short in the afternoon (which we are very greatful). Possibly this is what Travis is referring to the 2 hours.

The mandatory work times at CDC are typically about 1 hour (30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the afternoon). We tried using only 3 heats at the last Bowie event, but it caused the workers to be out there for about 45 minutes. I got a lot of feedback on the extended period. So we will go back to 4 heats at Bowie and all the other events, except Summit (it takes too long just to get to the far work stations).
Jim Harris

Post by Jim Harris »

I love CDC, but the best courses you will ever run and the most competition you will ever face happen once a month at the SCCA event at FedEx.

Jim
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

hepcatz wrote:Yeah, I think next season I'll try an SCCA/autocross inc. event as well to see what they are like. Even if I like it, I imagine the bulk of my ax will always be done with CDC.

John N
I run all three venues this year. SCCA, AI, and CDC.

SCCA runs events like a well oiled machine (except for the occasional hiccup).
AI is more refined in that I would say they are a cross between SCCA and a CDC event in terms of how the event is run.
CDC is more relaxed and family oriented with less competition.

I think all three events offer something, but in the end - for me - its about getting seat time, and meeting new people, and learning as much as I can take in. I love all three venues, and am glad we have such a variety to compete in.

If your out to have fun, not worry about car classes, and enjoy a weekend....then CDC is the best. But if you want to feel the adrenaline of good competition, SCCA and/or AI can provide that.
-- Jason
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Travis, did you work 2 STRAIGHT hours at a CDC event?

I know heat 4 at SCCA = 2 hours minimum on a good day. The longest I worked in 1 heat was at FedEx. 2hr30min (friggin cold day) and 2hr45min (hot as hell day). I prefer it to be broken up, although standing at a pole at FedEx is usually fun unless the temps/weather are brutal.
ProDarwin

Post by ProDarwin »

No, not 2 hours straight. Probably more like an hour and a half I guess. Then again at Fedex on Sun. I didn't work anywhere near 2 hours. I guess I'd much rather get my working done in one lump sum rather than split it up and waste extra time sitting around. Yes, working heat 4 does blow @ SCCA.

Regardless, judge an SCCA event after you have attended one, not just heard about it from a friend.
Travis
JoeTR6
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

The events at Woodbridge will get better. Overlapping runs will shorten work time and make for longer runs. Plus I'm not designing the course. :)

If I find the time, I'd like to try events at the other clubs. I think we should get out and see how things work elsewhere. Plus it would be nice to be just a driver for a change. It gets old not being able to study the course before driving it, or just being too tired to drive.
ButtDyno

Post by ButtDyno »

saint_foo wrote: although standing at a pole at FedEx is usually fun
Especially if it's Slava's pole.
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

ButtDyno wrote:
saint_foo wrote: although standing at a pole at FedEx is usually fun
Especially if it's Slava's pole.

Haha! That never gets old! Unfortunately, only about 10 of us understand the joke. :D

Travis: Yep, I agree about your comment about SCCA. Don't pass judgment or opinions unless you actually run at one of their events. It's a different feel. There's a lot of pluses and a couple of minuses (for some people). Plus, there are fresh faces. I still stand by my thought to check out each club if you can and keep an open mind. Don't just absorb all the hate or bashing said about each club. Find out for yourself what you like/dislike about a particular club. It's okay to like/love multiple clubs for different reasons.

The only things I can think of that bring down my experience w/ a club are: safety, people's attitudes and how friendly folks are, course design (is it fun and worth it to me), cost factor (number of runs + time on course + wait time + what to do while waiting). Oh, and of course: food and baffroom facilities. :D
moxnix
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 0

Post by moxnix »

ProDarwin wrote:Yes, working heat 4 does blow @ SCCA.
I do my best to make heat 4 the smallest that I can while still having workers for the next heat at the SCCA events but it does seem to take a while to run. I need to start timing it and get some actual data on how long it is now (I think it has gotten shorter since the last time Ed worked it)
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

moxnix wrote:
ProDarwin wrote:Yes, working heat 4 does blow @ SCCA.
I do my best to make heat 4 the smallest that I can while still having workers for the next heat at the SCCA events but it does seem to take a while to run. I need to start timing it and get some actual data on how long it is now (I think it has gotten shorter since the last time Ed worked it)

Heat 4 shorter? Nice!!! Thank God, now I won't have to work Slava's pole for that long.
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

saint_foo wrote:Heat 4 shorter? Nice!!! Thank God, now I won't have to work Slava's pole for that long.
Slava's probably happy to hear that too. 8-)
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193